E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone Get Their Airbag Recall Done Yet?

07-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #67
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
No word yet on the airbag replacement for my '06 330i either.

I imagine there will be an amazing number of deals nationwide on CPOs in the next year or so...as a result, BMW will surely see a higher volume of traffic in the showrooms.

Their policy of rentals/loaners will have them come out ahead - both in overall popular opinion and (ultimately) number of vehicles sold.

BMW knows what they are doing.
From what I hear there are already steep discounts on 5 series. I wish the same would happen on F80's, but they have nothing to do with anything

Interesting, my buddy told the Audi dealership, look at what BMW and Honda is doing with Takata, and they bit. Arranging a brand new A3 loaner. Reminds me of when UPS lost my laptop...told them if this were FedEx, you'd know where the laptop is. The dude took the bait, and said I'll have your laptop delivered anywhere you want by 15:00 EST, just give me the address (I had an apt. back then, so I gave him my office). It arrived lol
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #68
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
More info. I went to the dealership yesterday and asked my SA about the air bag parts (remember, this is the guy who has ignored my voicemails for the past month). Besides the fact he said he called me and couldn't leave a VM as my mailbox was full (not possible, I have visual voicemail and all messages download), he said parts are trickling in, but he hasn't seen any replacements for E9X vehicles. Only for other cars like E46, etc. When the parts come in, they are already assigned a vin. There is one SA at the dealership which handles all of the airbag repairs.
Convertible | Manual | M-Sport | MHD Stage 1 + FMIC | 335is Clutch | ER CP | RB Inlets | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | M3 F/R Control Arms | KW V3 | Hawk HPS Pads | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | Blackvue DR650-2CH Dash Cam | LCI Taillights
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #69
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
More info. I went to the dealership yesterday and asked my SA about the air bag parts (remember, this is the guy who has ignored my voicemails for the past month). Besides the fact he said he called me and couldn't leave a VM as my mailbox was full (not possible, I have visual voicemail and all messages download), he said parts are trickling in, but he hasn't seen any replacements for E9X vehicles. Only for other cars like E46, etc. When the parts come in, they are already assigned a vin. There is one SA at the dealership which handles all of the airbag repairs.
That is interesting info, probably positive too. This means that BMW has controls in place, meaning dealer can't take a part, and decide upon their own who gets it. i.e. fool with the priorities. Well this guy with the 2007 335i is costing us $1,900/mo. let's fix him first. The guy with the 2008 M3 can wait, even though this was for his car, because he did not request alternate transportation. BMW should have a record of what was done when....I mean think about it, some dealers said don't bring your car, others said we have to keep your car, all over the place. Nice to know the parts correlate to a VIN. Otherwise black market and 5 finger replacements off the clock...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #70
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Both of my cars have been waiting for parts & last Friday I called about alternate transport.
Today I received a voicemail about an "intermediate" airbag. Basically they half fix it until they have all the parts in.
They also told me that they don't give alternate transportation if they do that.

Also they only want to fix my E92 not my E46 & told me not to drive the E46 until the parts come in for it once they put a temporary fix on the E92
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 06:11 PM   #71
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
Since my other replies are in this thread, I'll put my reply here. I returned my rental. I got tired of driving it.

6MT 335i convertible is waaay too fun to drive to be leaving it at home all summer. The 328i rental didn't have a premium package (no lumbar) nor did it have comfort access...pretty mediocre for an entry luxury car in 2016, IMO. I didn't tell my SA I returned it because he's been pretty useless. I believe my file should still be open but enterprise can't bill anymore.
Convertible | Manual | M-Sport | MHD Stage 1 + FMIC | 335is Clutch | ER CP | RB Inlets | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | M3 F/R Control Arms | KW V3 | Hawk HPS Pads | Stoptech Slotted Rotors | Blackvue DR650-2CH Dash Cam | LCI Taillights
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #72
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
Since my other replies are in this thread, I'll put my reply here. I returned my rental. I got tired of driving it.

6MT 335i convertible is waaay too fun to drive to be leaving it at home all summer. The 328i rental didn't have a premium package (no lumbar) nor did it have comfort access...pretty mediocre for an entry luxury car in 2016, IMO. I didn't tell my SA I returned it because he's been pretty useless. I believe my file should still be open but enterprise can't bill anymore.
I agree, that's why I never got a rental. If they would have given me something better than what I have I would have gone for it. If it was winter then it would be a different story. Summer time is the best time to be driving your BMW.

|instagram@underground6t9|
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #73
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground6t9 View Post
I agree, that's why I never got a rental. If they would have given me something better than what I have I would have gone for it. If it was winter then it would be a different story. Summer time is the best time to be driving your BMW.
Part of it is one's personal feeling about the airbags themselves.

Removing all emotion from the situation, there is a really excellent chance that nobody will ever be injured by the Takata airbag in a BMW.

There were people that were killed in Hondas, ask them if they would like a rental or not.

Mercedes Benz, Audi, have been very firm about the situtation, MB even explicit.

Driver and occupants may be injured or killed as a result of the airbag, prior to replacement. HOWEVER, to date, nobody has been killed, and therefore, MB does not believe loaners/rentals to be warranted. that's pretty blunt.

But I have since learned the above is not written in stone, as my buddy was given a brand new Audi A3 from the dealer, not Enterprise, in lieu of their recalled Q5 CPO.

You know how you can choose to configure a 911 over 1,000 ways (this is fact)? People here on the forum are the same, very individual.

Many choose to drive their E9x instead of taking a rental, because a '16 328i x drive is no fun. The steering is very, very light, I can tell you that, too light. They want to take their chances with Takata.

At the same time, I mentioned that I can save $35/mo. by dropping collision on my 335i, and I would say 75%+ think that is crazy. How so, I have never had a claim since 12/06 on it, never had a claim on my Nissan since 3/98? The deciding factor to me, is, that it's not being driven. Can you believe some even said they don't care, even if it's not being driven, it's not worth it to save $35/mo.?

Point is, it's an individual decision, no right, no wrong. Just like you can order a new 911 over 1000 ways.

If you want to exaggerate the decision, look at the long thread which has many flames, on the M3 forum. Does a M3 guy want to drive a 328?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #74
lucianodallas
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I called my service advisor today and ask about an alternate transportation.
Been told that they do not offer it since 07/1st.............
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #75
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianodallas View Post
I called my service advisor today and ask about an alternate transportation.
Been told that they do not offer it since 07/1st.............
Is this a dealer policy, or BMW?

This whole situation is a mess. I dropped my collision on my car, since it is sitting in the garage, and found out it was dropped, and I do not get a credit for what I've already paid. imho more bad faith by the insurance industry.

How would any of us like to never show up for work, yet still get paid? When a politician does it, they get hung out to dry nowadays. When a corporation does it, they get away with it. And it's totally funny how the state agencies can't even do anything about it.

Even if I were offered a chance to never show up for work and get paid for a month, I would not do it, just seems unethical.

I just remembered something--this very same insurance co. sent me a auto club offer, like $60/yr., cheaper than AAA, and the kicker was no risk, cancel at any time for a full refund. I canceled after 4 mos. and went to AAA. They told me no such thing as full refund, pro rata, and I was holding the offer in my hand. But since it was like $20, I let it go.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #76
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Each dealer is a private operation so I would say the policy varies from dealership to dealership. I have alternate transportation and my airbag was replaced due to windshield installer damage to my airbag thus mine is maybe 4 years old not 9 which is what it should be.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #77
lucianodallas
Rep

Actually, I called back the same dealership and asked to talk to someone else there. They confirm that no parts were available yet and that they will set up an alternate transportation........will be going tomorrow afternoon......will keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #78
lucianodallas
Rep

got a 2016 challenger until they have a BMW available......dealership still not sure when they will have the airbags coming in.....
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #79
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

It's pretty clear that every dealership does their own thing...

I called mine, and they refused to give me a loaner but said that they may cover a rental from Enterprise for up to $35/day. They said I would have to leave my car at the dealer. No way I'm leaving my car outside a dealership for potentially several months.

I emailed BMW NA with my concerns, we'll see what they say.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 04:34 AM   #80
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Called my dealer yesterday to check on this - stated they do not have any new airbags & ETA @ earliest is Aug/Sept time frame.

He also said that BMW will send out a letter telling me when the airbag is in for my car, notice will not come from the dealer...

And No, I didn't want any friggen rental or loaner car, happy with driving my car & not worried, don't want it blocking my driveway with trickle charger on it for months anyway
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 07:16 AM   #81
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
It's pretty clear that every dealership does their own thing...

I called mine, and they refused to give me a loaner but said that they may cover a rental from Enterprise for up to $35/day. They said I would have to leave my car at the dealer. No way I'm leaving my car outside a dealership for potentially several months.

I emailed BMW NA with my concerns, we'll see what they say.
That's exactly what mine said when I called a couple months ago. Really sounded like they were trying to talk me out of it.
      07-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #82
PTinVT
armchair enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 340xi, 02 325Cic, 93 850Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Removing all emotion from the situation, there is a really excellent chance that nobody will ever be injured by the Takata airbag in a BMW.
I figure I have a better chance getting injured in some crappy rental car which doesn't have the same maneuverability to avoid an accident in the first place. I just drove my under-recall E46 1000 miles last weekend and didn't even think about my airbag once... I was too busy defending myself from the flotilla of idiots on our highways.

Having said that, I have been trying to see if there are any cases of Takata injuries in BMWs, and I haven't been able to find any. It's hard to search because the terms are generic and as soon as you bring 'Takata' into the mix you get a zillion hits. Does anyone know for sure?
'71 Buick Riviera, 455 V8 land yacht
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #83
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

BMW NA told me that it's the dealer's discretion as to whether or not they give you a loaner, rental, or anything at all.

My local dealer will only give me a rental and I have to leave my car at the dealer... no thanks.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #84
selo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 740Lixdrive

I just bought a CPO that has had the airbag replaced. another car I checked into before I bought this one was in the process......seems like the cars they're trying to sell take priority, which benefited me, but in fact really sucks if that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 10:01 PM   #85
MiniXP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 06 X5 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by selo View Post
I just bought a CPO that has had the airbag replaced. another car I checked into before I bought this one was in the process......seems like the cars they're trying to sell take priority, which benefited me, but in fact really sucks if that is the case.
I'm not at all surprised to hear that. Dealers have had the cars on their lots for months unable to sell them bc of the recall.

At least that's confirmation that the parts are actually starting to come
      07-31-2016, 10:04 PM   #86
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
mine was done this saturday
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #87
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

One of the responses somewhere indicated that recall parts are VIN specific, implying that the dealer has zero control over the campaign, and that BMW is the gatekeeper...(that would answer how the priorities are actually executed/enforced)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #88
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI
mine was done this saturday
Did you have to ask? Or were you contacted to make an appointment?
Appreciate 0