Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > which tire reviews do you trust?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

View Poll Results: Which info source for tire reviews is your main selection guide?
primarily tire-rack consumer reviews 3 37.50%
primarily road-test data reports (comparison is for new tire only) 1 12.50%
primarily something else (e.g., news groups) 0 0%
roughly even mixture, no clear preference 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

08-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Question which tire reviews do you trust?

I've been looking at the tire reviews and it seems like there is often discrepancy between road-test tire comparisons (e.g., such as performed by tire rack, etc.) vs. the consumer feedback scoring data.

In particular, there appears to be a trend that tires have have longer term data appear to be skewed more negatively as feedback is given after signficant tire wear. So maybe there is just the general trend that as tires wear they tend to perform worse and become noisier.

Anyway, I'm curious what sources you mainly use as a guide and have shown to be trustworthy?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
The one I would be skeptical about is posts on Auto forums...a lot of people state something..and their impressions are based on what they heard from others..not from their own experience. What I have direct experience with...I will comment on...for other stuff..I will keep quiet. Tire rack consumer reviews are good if the sample size is decent. Car review articles talking about what tires a car has are ok...but remember most cars dont come with very good tires from the factory...tons of thought goes into what tires are OEM..including $$$ (cost to the manufacturer), differentiation between models, typical buyer needs, etc.

Car is now gone .... :-(

Last edited by S4to335; 08-29-2007 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
I've been looking at the tire reviews and it seems like there is often discrepancy between road-test tire comparisons (e.g., such as performed by tire rack, etc.) vs. the consumer feedback scoring data.

In particular, there appears to be a trend that tires have have longer term data appear to be skewed more negatively as feedback is given after signficant tire wear. So maybe there is just the general trend that as tires wear they tend to perform worse and become noisier.

Anyway, I'm curious what sources you mainly use as a guide and have shown to be trustworthy?
I think the best way is to find folks with the same vehicle as you, similar driving conditions or region, and listen to what they have to say.

There are a lot of tires popular in SoCal that just aren't going to be too great up here in the NorthWet. So I think it's important to read the reviews in Magazines, Tire-Rack etc, but also find out what folks are liking in your area. :rocks: Hard to beat local knowledge and experience.
      08-29-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
The one I would be skeptical about is posts on Auto forums...a lot of people state something..and their impressions are based on what they heard from others..not from their own experience. What I have direct experience with...I will comment on...for other stuff..I will keep quiet. Tire rack consumer reviews are good if the sample size is decent. Car review articles talking about what tires a car has are ok...but remember most cars dont come with tires from the factory...tons of thought goes into what tires are OEM..including $$$ (cost to the manufacturer), differentiation between models, typical buyer needs, etc.
Guilty. But to my defence, it's usually in answering noobs...and I usually preface my post with "these tires are most popular on this forum".

Revlis has good tips too. I think that's a good approach because same tires on different cars can react completely differently...as HRC always preaches re: his experience with Goodyear F1s.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
Guilty. But to my defence, it's usually in answering noobs...and I usually preface my post with "these tires are most popular on this forum".

Revlis has good tips too. I think that's a good approach because same tires on different cars can react completely differently...as HRC always preaches re: his experience with Goodyear F1s.
Thanks, and yeah, I am pretty sure I too will be preaching about the Goodyear F1s... At least up here. I'm in love. :rocks: