E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > OEM touch up stick paint, I shit the bed

04-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #1
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 e91

OEM touch up stick paint, I shit the bed

I suck basically. I bought the bmw touch up kit to fix a couple rock chips. I Globbed too much on there and while I went inside to get something to help soak up the extra paint, it dried. I tried to take some paint thinner to remove the excess, no dice The paints too hard. What my best course of action to reverse my mistake. Mind you, I have no skills in wet sanding, buffing and polishing so maybe it's to just take it to a professional?
Attached Images

Follow on Instagram: BlueM3wagon
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Garage List
This will work - https://www.drcolorchip.com/store/2o...g-solution.php
      04-11-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh59 View Post
Ahhh I thought I remembered a blending agent. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

This reminds me of a time when my dad was touching up his car and accidentaly spilled the whole touch-up bottle on the fender

Thankfully had a bottle of nail polish remover at hand, and was able to wipe that thing spotless.

In your case since its fully dried, I would just cover it up with actual touch up paint that matches your finish

Last edited by Wolf 335; 04-12-2019 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      04-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
This reminds me of a time when my dad was touching up his car and accidentaly spilled the whole touch-up bottle on the fender

Thankfully had a bottle of nail polish removed at hand, and was able to wipe that thing spotless.

In your case since its fully dried, I would just cover it up with actual touch up paint that matches your finish
It's suppose to be a matched color but does look darker doesn't it? I shook the bottle before I globbed it on lol.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Does it work with any touchup paint? I already have the touchup paint and clear coat from BMW.

Could I get their blender thing and do touchup like they do in their touch up system?
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #7
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaellcoates View Post
It's suppose to be a matched color but does look darker doesn't it? I shook the bottle before I globbed it on lol.
If you want to avoid globing, consider getting one of these Loew Cornell Fine Line Painting Pens. You can see a few YouTube videos on it as well.

Name:  il_794xN_1403172786_sijz.jpg
Views: 3495
Size:  26.0 KB

Edit: just ordered one for myself on amazon.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 04-11-2019 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 2
Bobh5952.00
SlimE92184.00
      04-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
BlueM3Wagon
Captain
Rep

Body shop was able to clean it out with their lacquer

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Does it work with any touchup paint? I already have the touchup paint and clear coat from BMW.

Could I get their blender thing and do touchup like they do in their touch up system?
I actually think it works better with OEM touchup paint, but that might vary from color to color.
      04-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #10
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaellcoates View Post
My experience is it goes on darker, dries a little lighter, then closely matches after using the blending agent.
      04-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I actually think it works better with OEM touchup paint, but that might vary from color to color.
Ok nice.

Now my next question is will this work on 1 year old touchup? I kind of did 3 touch up last year and ehh, not smooth at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #12
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok nice.

Now my next question is will this work on 1 year old touchup? I kind of did 3 touch up last year and ehh, not smooth at all.
Yeah, I'm intimately familiar with the "not smooth" result... Sometimes you just have to start over.

I've never tried it with that interval but I can't see why it wouldn't. Just make sure to clean/prep the area before blending to remove any waxes/sealants/contaminants, etc., and then do the same with the "bare" chip/scratch because any residual waxes/dirt can lead to poor results.

Any paint prep product should suffice, doesn't have to be Dr. Colorchip's.

Also, if it's a deeper scratch/chip I've had better luck layering versus trying to do it in one step. So fill it 2/3 give or take, let it completely cure (at least overnight), then apply the 2nd layer, cure, blend, protect.
      04-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm intimately familiar with the "not smooth" result... Sometimes you just have to start over.

I've never tried it with that interval but I can't see why it wouldn't. Just make sure to clean/prep the area before blending to remove any waxes/sealants/contaminants, etc., and then do the same with the "bare" chip/scratch because any residual waxes/dirt can lead to poor results.

Any paint prep product should suffice, doesn't have to be Dr. Colorchip's.

Also, if it's a deeper scratch/chip I've had better luck layering versus trying to do it in one step. So fill it 2/3 give or take, let it completely cure (at least overnight), then apply the 2nd layer, cure, blend, protect.
And just one last question if I may haha, should I like try to scratch off the current dried touch up? I've never actually applied the clear coat part of it just the base color. Before "fixing" it (blending or reapply)

And using the blender, I suppose you use it after you have applied the clear coat right?

Thanks for much, I'm pretty noobish in terms of touch up paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #14
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And just one last question if I may haha, should I like try to scratch off the current dried touch up? I've never actually applied the clear coat part of it just the base color. Before "fixing" it (blending or reapply)

And using the blender, I suppose you use it after you have applied the clear coat right?

Thanks for much, I'm pretty noobish in terms of touch up paint.
The blending solution only works on paint, not clear coat, so you shouldn't have to resort to scratching off the current touch-up paint. Plus you'd want to use the clear after the blending solution.

Here's a 17 minute video that you might find helpful too -
. Like all pros they make it look easy, but there's still a lot of great info.
      04-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The blending solution only works on paint, not clear coat, so you shouldn't have to resort to scratching off the current touch-up paint. Plus you'd want to use the clear after the blending solution.

Here's a 17 minute video that you might find helpful too -
. Like all pros they make it look easy, but there's still a lot of great info.
Ohhh makes sense, so that's how the oem non chipped paint isn't affected by it. But at the same time I'm a bit surprised I thought the paint they sell in kits was like a clear and paint combo. I guess they don't expect or clear coating touch ups isn't really a requirement.

Thanks for the video I'll take a look tonight!

I originally ignored Dr Color chip since they don't ship to Canada but I gotta say the blending technique seems good and promising to near perfect looks! Might do the 1 hour drive down to the states if I can't find a comparable blender product in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #16
Bobh59
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ohhh makes sense, so that's how the oem non chipped paint isn't affected by it. But at the same time I'm a bit surprised I thought the paint they sell in kits was like a clear and paint combo. I guess they don't expect or clear coating touch ups isn't really a requirement.

Thanks for the video I'll take a look tonight!

I originally ignored Dr Color chip since they don't ship to Canada but I gotta say the blending technique seems good and promising to near perfect looks! Might do the 1 hour drive down to the states if I can't find a comparable blender product in Canada.
Actually, some touch-up paint is a clear/paint combo.

Langka (www.langka.com) is an alternative/competitor to Dr. Colorchip that you should be able to get in Canada. I think they call their blending solution the Blob Eliminator.
      04-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #17
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I ordered from the silver kit from chipfixx, but the refill kit is $10 cheaper... https://www.chipfixx.ca/product/Silver-Kit-20

In Canada that loew cornell paint pen can be found cheaper than amazon at https://www.deserres.ca/en/fine-line-painting-pen, but looking on amazon.ca it looks like it price has come down since I bought mine... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004YZXV8U/..._oJLSCb2SYEM0Z
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #18
Rick328
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 328 xDrive ZSP

Garage List
2009 328 xDrive  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
If you want to avoid globing, consider getting one of these Loew Cornell Fine Line Painting Pens. You can see a few YouTube videos on it as well.

Attachment 2029080

Edit: just ordered one for myself on amazon.
I do these touch-up every summer on my hood using a simple toothpick
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
I ordered from the silver kit from chipfixx, but the refill kit is $10 cheaper... https://www.chipfixx.ca/product/Silver-Kit-20

In Canada that loew cornell paint pen can be found cheaper than amazon at https://www.deserres.ca/en/fine-line-painting-pen, but looking on amazon.ca it looks like it price has come down since I bought mine... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004YZXV8U/..._oJLSCb2SYEM0Z
I tried the leveller from Chipfixx on my 1 year old touch up and didn't do anything. But their instructions is to use it right away like after 30 sec the paint is applied.

I'll use paint thinner to try and remove my old touch up that wasn't clear coated and try again over.
Appreciate 0