E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > LSD on xDrive

01-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #23
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

I'm not debating AWD vs RWD, I'm comparing open diff vs LSD. An open diff lacks terribly in performance when compared to an LSD. An AWD car is awesome for driving all year but RWD is typically more fun, at least for me. I'm not sure if there was a question in there.

With the DTC disabled the car is very squirrely when the tires break loose in a turn. I'd like more control of the car but that could probably be achieved in more ways than one. Having a Subaru style torque biasing controller would be a performance "must have" but until one of those hits the market I think an LSD might help keep the car under control a little better. Again, I'd like to find someone that is running this setup and read any notes they've provided.

335xi: JB4 G5 | KW V1s | muffler delete | BMS DCI | VRSF 7" FMIC | VMR v703 18x8 | and your mom
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #24
noLimits Enterprises
Rep
Drives: BMW

edit: Wrong thread sorry
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #25
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

LSD works great on xdrive. I have about 10 days on my wavetrac and I am kicking myself I didn't do it earlier. You will need to code off the e-diff and other nannies, which you can see how to do on my blog: http://www.onelapx1.com/blog

Xdrive is really fantastic on track with a LSD; it's faster than RWD for sure. The cars I can keep up with are pretty ridiculous and I make up so much time coming out of turns at full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #26
cebrailbakan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 AT 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
LSD works great on xdrive. I have about 10 days on my wavetrac and I am kicking myself I didn't do it earlier. You will need to code off the e-diff and other nannies, which you can see how to do on my blog: http://www.onelapx1.com/blog

Xdrive is really fantastic on track with a LSD; it's faster than RWD for sure. The cars I can keep up with are pretty ridiculous and I make up so much time coming out of turns at full throttle.
Appreciated brother !! Thanks a looottt
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #27
OffensiveDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi 6MT

Quote:

Nice job paradoxical3 ! Your blog is the most informative bit I've read on optimizing XDrive with an LSD. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Now all I have to do is figure out how to code !
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 05:35 PM   #28
cebrailbakan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 AT 335xi

I think we can code it via auto-logic diagnose machine
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #29
pavproch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 330ixT

Eventually found this thread.

A Drexler LSD (lamelle - 40% slip) works just fine (rear diff, front left untouched, ie "open") on my 330i xDrive MY2011. The handling and predictability (especially while hard cornering on icy/slippery roads, DSC off, obviously) improved tenfold. At least.

But, imho LSD (of any kind - I do run a Quaife - a worm type LSD - on the other car of mine, and frankly speaking I would NOT tell Drexler from Quaife, they behave +/- the same) is only half of the fun. Shortening the diff does the second half.

I have both cars shortened quite a lot (3er - 15% both diffs, Z4 - 17% rear one) and the increase in dynamics is overwhelming. Proportionally, the milleage dropped quite a lot, too.
      03-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #30
rwh11385
Private
Rep
Drives: M3/4/5, E91, LeMons E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffensiveDriver View Post
Nice job paradoxical3 ! Your blog is the most informative bit I've read on optimizing XDrive with an LSD. ... Now all I have to do is figure out how to code !
I feel the same way - glad to have a good review of LSD in a Xdrive system and need to re-learn code (e-diff off, turn off TPMS, turn on alarm retrofit, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #31
ifobd
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive

Quote:

Quote:

Resurfacing an old thread as im thinking about an lsd for my xdrive. Your blog is offline, hoping it is still around in someform elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #32
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Same. Bump.
Appreciate 0