E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > some advice from you bmw know-it-alls...

08-16-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Question some advice from you bmw know-it-alls...

as some of you know i am currently looking to get out of my pcp agreement and i have been offered asking price for my e92 335d

however, it is on the condition i take his car off his hands (which suits me if its the right price since i will need a car between this one and the next one (probably a D3))

anyway, his asking price for his was £17,500, and i got him down to £16k

basically i would like to know if you guys think its a good price, i trust this forum much more than dealers etc for advice (surprisingly enough...)

here is his car:

spec:

• 330D M-Sport Individual
• M3 Carbon Black
• 47k miles
• Fully Loaded + AC Schnitzer Mirrors, ACS 19" Rims & ACS Boot spoiler
• BMW Service pack (so everything except tires is covered) until Dec 2008
• HPI Clear

normally i would have though that was a lot of money for that car, HOWEVER the fact that it is diesel and auto push the price up (correct me if i'm wrong) but also the service pack and ac schnitzer stuff is very appealing...

so what do me esteemed e90 post colleagues think? If this price is right this car will do me just fine for a while
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post

as some of you know i am currently looking to get out of my pcp agreement and i have been offered asking price for my e92 335d

however, it is on the condition i take his car off his hands (which suits me if its the right price since i will need a car between this one and the next one (probably a D3))

anyway, his asking price for his was £17,500, and i got him down to £16k

basically i would like to know if you guys think its a good price, i trust this forum much more than dealers etc for advice (surprisingly enough...)

here is his car:

spec:

• 330D M-Sport Individual
• M3 Carbon Black
• 47k miles
• Fully Loaded + AC Schnitzer Mirrors, ACS 19" Rims & ACS Boot spoiler
• BMW Service pack (so everything except tires is covered) until Dec 2008
• HPI Clear

normally i would have though that was a lot of money for that car, HOWEVER the fact that it is diesel and auto push the price up (correct me if i'm wrong) but also the service pack and ac schnitzer stuff is very appealing...

so what do me esteemed e90 post colleagues think? If this price is right this car will do me just fine for a while
is it sep 2003? or an early 04 car?

looks good, is she one owner with all stamps and receipts for services?

i think it aint a bad price but i will investigate for you!

thought individuals had worse residuals?! ie a ''normal'' e46 330d which isnt a indi should be worth more? surely he is not bumping up the price because of the ''idividuality'' of this 330d!!

Carlos
      08-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
oh the numberplate is a big ''GEY'' ZIM
      08-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #4
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
AC Schnitzer stuff may be appealing to some however I was told by some dealers (and their interest bore this out) that in some cases it is worth little to nothing (one dealer even told me it lowers the value!) because they have to find someone who wants it on. Different in private sales I guess, although you'll still have to find the person who wants it over a standard car.

Why can't he sell his car and buy yours? You are then stuck with a car on which you'll take a hit when you p/x it with a dealer versus if he paid you the asking price in cash. In effect he isn't giving you the asking price?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Glasses Guide comes back with part-ex price of £15,200 for an excellent condition car with these miles. Since it is an 'individual' car and is well specced, it is probably not too far off at £16K for a private price.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Right Zim ... had a look on Autotrader for you.

There are several 03-04 330d sports with similar milage for £16,500 to £17,000.

I take it this one is Dec 2003, which puts it plum in the middle of those.

I've also looked on the AA's valuation website here:

http://www.theaa.com/cbg/vehicleDeta...ationAction.do

They say the following:

Garage selling price £16,695

Trade in Value:

Clean - £ 15,050

Average - £ 13,950

Below Average - £ 12,600

So at £16K you are getting just below the car below dealer sticker price, but he is also getting a good deal.

You might be able to get him to drop off another £500 notes, but if you are getting a good price for your car then it's all square.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Only if Zim then doesn't take a hit on trading this car in ? I think its fine as long as you don't count this car as £16k towards your asking price because if you immediately go away to a dealer and p/x this towards say a D3 then he is presumably going to offer you 14k or thereabouts ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Only if Zim then doesn't take a hit on trading this car in ? I think its fine as long as you don't count this car as £16k towards your asking price because if you immediately go away to a dealer and p/x this towards say a D3 then he is presumably going to offer you 14k or thereabouts ?
mayb even less

Carlos
      08-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #9
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

hmmm ok, very interesting...

so lets assume the carbon black individual paint aint worth squat (shame cuz it looks mint) and that the 19" schniter wheels, mirrors and spoiler are equally irrelevant, then surely the sat-nav/tv/phone and all that is worth a few quid? there really aren't many E46s specced with them from my impression on pistonheads and autotrader...

he's willing to give me £35k for mine, which is near as damn it to the pcp settlement figure...

still reckon he's getting the better deal?

I might even keep this car for a year or so if its nice so maybe if you look at it that way it aint too bad?

EDIT: heres another pic:

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
hmmm ok, very interesting...

so lets assume the carbon black individual paint aint worth squat (shame cuz it looks mint) and that the 19" schniter wheels, mirrors and spoiler are equally irrelevant, then surely the sat-nav/tv/phone and all that is worth a few quid? there really aren't many E46s specced with them from my impression on pistonheads and autotrader...

he's willing to give me £35k for mine, which is near as damn it to the pcp settlement figure...

still reckon he's getting the better deal?

I might even keep this car for a year or so if its nice so maybe if you look at it that way it aint too bad?

EDIT: heres another pic:

ZIM your 100% right on the sat nav and tv phone etc!!

i think its prob a good idea, do it keep it 6months-1 year

Carlos
      08-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #11
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
The options are worth something, how much I'm not best placed to say. My E46 325ci had lots of ACS and some good options (H/K, Bluetooth and others) but the dealer gave very little credit for it all.

But he ISN'T willing to give you 35k for yours, he's willing to give you presumably 19k plus his car? Which if you traded it in the very next day means you are getting maybe 33k for yours in effect?

If you are keeping his car for a few months then that changes things a little I guess although it makes my head hurt a bit working out what that does to the deal, you get the use of the car and you aren't losing the same depreciation on your current car.... all depends on when you want to change I suppose, to me it seems like you are taking a drop in status of car and you'd be better off finding a cash buyer at 35k OR a dealer prepared to give you 33k for it (if that is possible) and get your next car ordered?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The options are worth something, how much I'm not best placed to say. My E46 325ci had lots of ACS and some good options (H/K, Bluetooth and others) but the dealer gave very little credit for it all.

But he ISN'T willing to give you 35k for yours, he's willing to give you presumably 19k plus his car? Which if you traded it in the very next day means you are getting maybe 33k for yours in effect?

If you are keeping his car for a few months then that changes things a little I guess although it makes my head hurt a bit working out what that does to the deal, you get the use of the car and you aren't losing the same depreciation on your current car.... all depends on when you want to change I suppose, to me it seems like you are taking a drop in status of car and you'd be better off finding a cash buyer at 35k OR a dealer prepared to give you 33k for it (if that is possible) and get your next car ordered?
#

a drop in status it may be, but fincacial situations change for some people, its still a fairly new nice car!!:rocks:

but i am thinking you make sense mate because at least ZIM can then order his d3

Carlosh
      08-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

ok, lets say for the sake of argument that i'm going to keep this vehicle for 1 year to save up some cash, then if he's giving me a fair price for my car (i think 35k is a good price) and i'm giving him a fair price* (see below) then surely you can't do much better than that?

however please continue to be objective i'm not decided yet...

* did a paid glasses guide valuation and a paid parkers one (adjusted for options and exact mileage) - the glasses came in at £15300 and the parkers at £16300, factor in the service pack (which i couldn't add to the valuation) and i'm thinking it aint far off...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #14
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Carlosh
You been drinking Carlos?

Looks a nice motor to me,I'd buy it, keep it for 6/12 mths, out it for what you paid for it, and get a new un.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Looks a nice motor to me,I'd buy it, keep it for 6/12 mths, out it for what you paid for it, and get a new un.
thats exactly what i'd like to do, but the "out if for what you paid for it" is the bit i'm trying to judge and get right...

i'm thinking i'd be happier with £15.5k, however i don't think he'll go for that he wanted 17.5...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #16
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thats exactly what i'd like to do, but the "out if for what you paid for it" is the bit i'm trying to judge and get right...

i'm thinking i'd be happier with £15.5k, however i don't think he'll go for that he wanted 17.5...
You'll lose a bit on the 330d whatever you do ... just by virtue of a new owner on the books.

Personally I think a dealer might like the extras and do a favourable part ex, but it's a gamble.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #17
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Arrow

i've just asked him to go for 15.5k, so his car + 19.5k...

if he goes for that, then i'll keep for car for between 6 months - 1 year and i'll be happy...

would that be what you guys would do in the situation?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #18
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Personally I think a dealer might like the extras and do a favourable part ex, but it's a gamble.
Worth a punt I'd say.Dealers are keen to do a deal at the moment.
I'd go for it, get some online quotes for a new car,take said quotes to stealer and say, 'look I'd really like to do the business with you, but I can't ignore the quotes I already have', it worked for me & I got a good deal.
Play one dealer against another!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #19
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I'm guessing though that if you are looking to get rid of this PCP thing and have this car for 6 months - 1 year then this is about money rather than a car choice thing?

In which case going to dealer now for new car might not be right timing for you anyway ?

I'm wondering why anyone would want to go from e92 335d to an e46 330d for a period of time and financials is the only explanation I can come up with.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #20
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i've just asked him to go for 15.5k, so his car + 19.5k...

if he goes for that, then i'll keep for car for between 6 months - 1 year and i'll be happy...

would that be what you guys would do in the situation?
Provided you are going to keep the 330d for a bit I think the deal is fine.

It's a lot of car for £15,500 (or even £16,000) and I don't think it's going to be that dissapointing to own. Although the e46 is a long way behind the e9*s in terms of refinement.

I think the extra's are a matter of judgement. The individual and AC stuff may actually narrow the interested buyers and devalue the car. My 530d had 19inch rims on an SE car (unusal) and a rear spoiler. I bought it relatively cheaply (maybe £1K below other cars of a similar spec) and I think this reflected the dealers concerns about the spec.

In contrast I think Sytner were very keen on it part-ex and they paid higher than book value.

These sort of things divide opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #21
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm guessing though that if you are looking to get rid of this PCP thing and have this car for 6 months - 1 year then this is about money rather than a car choice thing?

In which case going to dealer now for new car might not be right timing for you anyway ?

I'm wondering why anyone would want to go from e92 335d to an e46 330d for a period of time and financials is the only explanation I can come up with.
yes it probably is mate, not something he will want to admit to tho, not a nice situation for anybody really. At least he hasnt got to sell his house and get a smaller one

everyone situations are changing all the time.. my old chap lost a 5mill contract last month

Carlos
      08-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #22
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
my old chap lost a 5mill contract last month

Carlos
Has he looked behind the sofa?