E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rear downpipe front o2-too close?

01-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
haaken675
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24v turbo e30, e92 335i

Rear downpipe front o2-too close?

Hey everyone. Finishing up my turbo install and am revisiting the vrsf downpipes I installed previously. I found the front o2 on the rear downpipe to be waaaay too close to the water pipe previously, but thought maybe it was just because I didn’t have enough space to work before. I have the subframe out still currently and it doesn’t seem as if there is anything I can do to get the o2 to not touch slightly the water pipe...is this normal?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by haaken675 View Post
Hey everyone. Finishing up my turbo install and am revisiting the vrsf downpipes I installed previously. I found the front o2 on the rear downpipe to be waaaay too close to the water pipe previously, but thought maybe it was just because I didn’t have enough space to work before. I have the subframe out still currently and it doesn’t seem as if there is anything I can do to get the o2 to not touch slightly the water pipe...is this normal?
I assume you loosely attached the down pipes to the mid pipes first & then secured the down pipes to the turbo.

I agree that your o2 sensor is far to too close to the water pipe.

What brand of Turbo did you buy?

Obviously, they are clocked a little different.

Does your outlet match up to your FMIC correctly?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:01 PM   #3
SixSix
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: (2007 BMW 335i E92)

Garage List
2002 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I don't remember mine being this close to the water outlet, could possibly be a defective downpipe but you never know... The pipe shouldn't be more than 100 degrees Celsius at any time so it won't be enough to melt the shielding/insulation. I would be concerned about fraying over time maybe but that could likely be solved with some sort of heat wrap. As long as you're 100% sure that the downpipe is installed and clocked correctly then I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
haaken675
First Lieutenant
Rep

Both oem turbos and my new pure 600’s are fitting the same. Everything lines up with the exhaust, and the o2 is just super close...I’m betting the bung wasn’t out in the right spot...There really isn’t any way to rotate it and have it line up with the rest of the exhaust, old
Turbos or the new ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Did you buy them new/from an actual vendor? Or used and/or a private seller? Do they have the VRSF logo on them? Older ones didn't, newer ones do. If you bought them from a private party, and they don't have the VRSF logo on them, it's possible you got something other than VRSF pipes.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:07 PM   #6
haaken675
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bought new from vrsf directly...yes, they have their logo tacked on.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #7
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Well, scratch that theory then. What did VRSF have to say about it?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:21 PM   #8
haaken675
First Lieutenant
Rep

I’m sure they have nothing to say about it. Still waiting on a response as to why my outlets didn’t come with o rings...I’ll just assume poor quality like every other product Iv ended up with.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 04:45 AM   #9
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I had some installation problems with the new batch of 335i VRSF downpipes too. It seems they made changes to the V2 pipes at the end of last year without mentioning anything, one of the exhaust bolts now needs shortening as they altered the angle of the flange on the front pipe.

The flange on my rear downpipe is also angled slightly wrong so it causes the downpipe to clock towards the subframe when tightened. I've contacted VRSF about it but they aren't really interested. I have their downpipes on my Z4 which fit perfectly but either their quality control has failed or they made a design change without properly testing, either way I'd point new customers in the direction of other brands in future.
Appreciate 2
haaken675101.00
TiAgAu148.50
      01-13-2021, 07:08 AM   #10
haaken675
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
I had some installation problems with the new batch of 335i VRSF downpipes too. It seems they made changes to the V2 pipes at the end of last year without mentioning anything, one of the exhaust bolts now needs shortening as they altered the angle of the flange on the front pipe.

The flange on my rear downpipe is also angled slightly wrong so it causes the downpipe to clock towards the subframe when tightened. I've contacted VRSF about it but they aren't really interested. I have their downpipes on my Z4 which fit perfectly but either their quality control has failed or they made a design change without properly testing, either way I'd point new customers in the direction of other brands in future.
At least I know im not the only one...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #11
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Omg! VRSF and isn’t 100% fit? Also read of missing 0-rings on VRSF product. What is going on?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:58 PM   #12
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by haaken675 View Post
Quote:

At least I know im not the only one...
I think your next move is to get a new set of downpipes.

I have MMP Catless Downpipes. They fit just fine. No issues.

https://mmp-e.com/products/3-catless...2008-2009-2010

Their website says they will be back in stock in late January. $200.00 for a set is a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #13
SixSix
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm running MMP downpipes as well, did have a fitment issue at the mid-pipe flange though, it seems as though they are pointed away from each other which caused an exhaust leak when I first fit them up, shortly after I bent my mid-pipe flange to line up and no exhaust leaks. That's my only complaint about them otherwise I would be confident that they fit pretty well. I've heard a handful of people say that the new VRSF pipes don't fit very nicely but the V1s were really good. MMP downpipes also seem to be significantly cheaper than VRSF.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 06:56 AM   #14
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix View Post
I'm running MMP downpipes as well, did have a fitment issue at the mid-pipe flange though, it seems as though they are pointed away from each other which caused an exhaust leak when I first fit them up, shortly after I bent my mid-pipe flange to line up and no exhaust leaks. That's my only complaint about them otherwise I would be confident that they fit pretty well. I've heard a handful of people say that the new VRSF pipes don't fit very nicely but the V1s were really good. MMP downpipes also seem to be significantly cheaper than VRSF.
That sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with the VRSF ones. My rear downpipe flange sits at a slight angle to the midpipe flange when everything is lined up correctly and the only way they will sit flush is by clocking the downpipe until it touches the subframe. So I have a choice between exhaust leak or cabin vibration.

I thought paying more for VRSF downpipes would save me the hassle of bending pipe but apparently not.

Really disappointed with VRSF support. Tiago just gave me the usual replies telling me to check the install then after I provided additional detail they went silent. I have heard of suppliers dropping their products because of quality issues and now I understand why, if you want cheap then MMP seem to be the best route and if you want perfection then go with someone like ARM.

What did you use to bend the midpipe flange? I've got access to a workshop so could possibly do it myself.
Appreciate 1
haaken675101.00
      01-16-2021, 07:25 AM   #15
haaken675
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with the VRSF ones. My rear downpipe flange sits at a slight angle to the midpipe flange when everything is lined up correctly and the only way they will sit flush is by clocking the downpipe until it touches the subframe. So I have a choice between exhaust leak or cabin vibration.

I thought paying more for VRSF downpipes would save me the hassle of bending pipe but apparently not.

Really disappointed with VRSF support. Tiago just gave me the usual replies telling me to check the install then after I provided additional detail they went silent. I have heard of suppliers dropping their products because of quality issues and now I understand why, if you want cheap then MMP seem to be the best route and if you want perfection then go with someone like ARM.

What did you use to bend the midpipe flange? I've got access to a workshop so could possibly do it myself.
I had parts missing from my outlets and silent on fixing my issues from them...I get the impression they don't particularly care if there are issues for customers.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 08:18 AM   #16
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix View Post

Could just be the luck of the draw. I wouldn't exactly call ARM perfection. They are also a cheap brand. I had a terrible time with their customer service. I gave up and bought the vrsf v2 downpipes as well. Had zero issues with install or fitment. This is also on a XI which has even less space.
My shop recommended the Cobb dps however I had already done my research and heard a lot of fitment issues with those as well.
If vrsf won't sent you a replacement pair, I'd see if an exhaust shop can modify your midpipe so they line up correctly. You really don't want these touching the subframe... or leaking. The smell is strong enough when Catless without leaks.
      01-16-2021, 09:22 AM   #17
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Could just be the luck of the draw. I wouldn't exactly call ARM perfection. They are also a cheap brand. I had a terrible time with their customer service. I gave up and bought the vrsf v2 downpipes as well. Had zero issues with install or fitment. This is also on a XI which has even less space.
My shop recommended the Cobb dps however I had already done my research and heard a lot of fitment issues with those as well.
If vrsf won't sent you a replacement pair, I'd see if an exhaust shop can modify your midpipe so they line up correctly. You really don't want these touching the subframe... or leaking. The smell is strong enough when Catless without leaks.
It was AR I was thinking of. I saw them at $900 and decided that was just too much of a premium. They looked nice though.

I wouldn't even need a replacement pair, just the rear one. It's not ideal having to mess around with replacement parts but I'd be happy enough if they tried to put it right.

Given the OPs issues and mine, I think there's some major quality control issues at VRSF. It shouldn't be that hard to replicate some pipes and verify fitment.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #18
SixSix
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2002 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I used a massive pair of channel locks and an acetylene torch, before deciding the bend the flange I used a shitload of orange rtv and it sealed up just fine, that worked for a few months until I pulled the flange off again to swap my engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #19
ClockworkWolf
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

I recently received my set of V2 downpipes I ordered directly from VRSF with the rear O2 sensor bung/plug on the front turbo pipe so badly crossthreaded that it destroyed the threads on the plug as well as inside the bung just to get it out. VRSF has no listed contact phone number and only has a weak message relay system on their website, so it's pretty heavily implied that they couldn't care less about customer service or issues with their products after they've been paid.

I actually received an initial response from them, but judging from it's contents I have a strong feeling I'm about to get the run around...I replied within an hour or so and haven't heard anything back since yesterday.

At a minimum VRSF has very poor quality control and bad customer service. I haven't even tried lining up the exhaust connections yet, but hopefully that isn't an issue as well. Unless this experience really turns around, I will definitely not be buying any other parts from them for the rest of my build(s).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #20
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockworkWolf View Post
I recently received my set of V2 downpipes I ordered directly from VRSF with the rear O2 sensor bung/plug on the front turbo pipe so badly crossthreaded that it destroyed the threads on the plug as well as inside the bung just to get it out. VRSF has no listed contact phone number and only has a weak message relay system on their website, so it's pretty heavily implied that they couldn't care less about customer service or issues with their products after they've been paid.

I actually received an initial response from them, but judging from it's contents I have a strong feeling I'm about to get the run around...I replied within an hour or so and haven't heard anything back since yesterday.

At a minimum VRSF has very poor quality control and bad customer service. I haven't even tried lining up the exhaust connections yet, but hopefully that isn't an issue as well. Unless this experience really turns around, I will definitely not be buying any other parts from them for the rest of my build(s).
I continued down the support route with my issue and they have agreed to send out a replacement rear pipe for me. It took a bit of persistence and an extra visit under the car with a camera to demonstrate my fitment issues but Tiago eventually gave in. Given how tricky the install is they probably have to deal with a lot of user error so keep things polite and go through the motions.

I'm certainly going to update either way once the new pipe turns up and I can get it fitted. I'm not happy that I've had such a simple fitment issue that should have been picked up on a jig but if the new pipe resolves it I'll give them credit.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #21
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Oh man, it's a good thing I looked at this thread because I literally have the VRSF DP in my cart along with new clamps and seals and was contemplating upgrading to the 7.5 inch stepped FMIC to upgrade my 5 inch i have now. . Now I'm wondering if I should just look elsewhere for these parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 04:33 PM   #22
haaken675
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Oh man, it's a good thing I looked at this thread because I literally have the VRSF DP in my cart along with new clamps and seals and was contemplating upgrading to the 7.5 inch stepped FMIC to upgrade my 5 inch i have now. . Now I'm wondering if I should just look elsewhere for these parts.
Honestly, i would look at other brands...I have a bunch of their parts and have had issues with pretty much everything whether it was missing parts in the box, poor fitment, and above all zero customer service...I made several attempts to get o rings sent out for my turbo outlets that were missing in the box, and after telling me to look in the box again, they have refused to respond to any of my emails...
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50