E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Don't care about short shifter. Just shift engagement

11-06-2021, 02:19 PM   #1
DeobandiPrince
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Manual

Don't care about short shifter. Just shift engagement

I came from a 04 TSX which had some of the best shifter engagement I've felt. Trying to recreate that in the E90.

I'm not too concerned about the play/slop or even the length of the throw, it just feels like a logitech shifter as it goes into gear.

I'd like to improve that. Will a Double Shear Shift Rod solve that or at least remedy it?

What can I do to improve shifter engagement?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

No.

Buy another Honda.

Nothing is going to give the car a video game style toggle switch from a FWD Honda. ZF's and Getrags are just a little more organic. It's a feature, not a bug

**Ninja Edit

One thought...

A body mount might do the trick... but that's a little extreme.

Last edited by Brian86; 11-08-2021 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: add information
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #3
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

My (Getrag) gearbox is by far the worst component in the entire car. BMW should be ashamed for putting such a junk in a car such stature. Don't think I ever felt so disappointed by a gearbox, and my 1st car was a 1984 Honda...

Having said that, a short shifter and weighted knob will make a difference, but again it only makes is less crappier not solve its intrinsic shortcomings.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2021, 12:39 AM   #4
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

That's the reason I bought BMW with automatic transmission instead of manual. Previously I had Honda with great manual transmission.

Last edited by Hotter; 11-09-2021 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2021, 12:51 AM   #5
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
That's the reason I bought BMW with automatic transmission. Previously I had Honda with great manual transmission.
Hondas are well known for their trannys. But as automatics go... I've tried, regular and dual clutch, they're just not for me. As bad as the manual is, I would not trade for an automatic, I feel it simply robs the joy out of driving the car...
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2021, 02:59 AM   #6
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Try fitting Rogue Engineering transmission mounts. Will deffo improve shift quality...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2021, 10:59 PM   #7
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Try fitting Rogue Engineering transmission mounts. Will deffo improve shift quality...
Really? Interesting... That one thing did a huge difference for you, or just a bit of difference? Do you also have the Getrag?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 01:54 AM   #8
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
Really? Interesting... That one thing did a huge difference for you, or just a bit of difference? Do you also have the Getrag?
The difference was significant and yes, I have Getrag.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 09:37 PM   #9
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
The difference was significant and yes, I have Getrag.
Thanks! Went thru my notes...
  • - I tried e46 M3 tranny mounts several yrs ago -> it was near impossible to shift and in like 3 days I had them removed
  • - then in 2017 when I put my SMFW clutch I replaced the OEM with Lemforder tranny mounts
  • - had looked at UUC mounts, decided against them
  • - the RE you are referring to are these? https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...nts_p_137.html
What shifter do you have? I only see you have Delrin shift bushings - is the rest stock? Wish you were closer, nothing beats first hand experience... .
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:53 AM   #10
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! Went thru my notes... [LIST]What shifter do you have? I only see you have Delrin shift bushings - is the rest stock? Wish you were closer, nothing beats first hand experience... .
I have a stock shifter (though my car is MSport spec, so a shorter shift than the SE spec). I fitted the RE mounts long before I fitted the Delrin bushes, so don't let than put you off. I tried other mounts and the amount of NVH transmitted to the cabin was awful! Rogue Engineering have got it just right in my opinion. Tighter change quality with no noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:25 PM   #11
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
I have a stock shifter (though my car is MSport spec, so a shorter shift than the SE spec). I fitted the RE mounts long before I fitted the Delrin bushes, so don't let than put you off. I tried other mounts and the amount of NVH transmitted to the cabin was awful! Rogue Engineering have got it just right in my opinion. Tighter change quality with no noise.
Interesting... I contacted RE and here is what they said reg. the effect of their tranny mounts on shifting. Now to make clear, I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just another one of those things that makes a decision difficult due to no way to experience it firsthand. I appreciate the feedback and I still might try it out...
"I hate to be the bearer of bad news. The transmission mounts, regardless of durometer, design or features will not improve shifting dramatically. The problem at hand is the transmission itself and the shifter lever that you’re using.

Best Regards,
Ben Liaw
Rogue Engineering
"
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2021, 02:29 AM   #12
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting... I contacted RE and here is what they said reg. the effect of their tranny mounts on shifting. Now to make clear, I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just another one of those things that makes a decision difficult due to no way to experience it firsthand. I appreciate the feedback and I still might try it out...
"I hate to be the bearer of bad news. The transmission mounts, regardless of durometer, design or features will not improve shifting dramatically. The problem at hand is the transmission itself and the shifter lever that you’re using.

Best Regards,
Ben Liaw
Rogue Engineering
"
To be honest they're a simple DIY to swap out, so they won't do any harm
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #13
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:

Best Regards,
Ben Liaw
Rogue Engineering
"
I installed the RE mounts a couple weeks ago and the difference was hardly noticeable. Maybe a bit more positive feedback when going into gear, but that's about it. I do have the Dinan SSK installed though.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #14
andrewbr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe

So then what are they for..?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 08:45 AM   #15
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Here’s what I did on my car. I’m very happy with the results but I have about 6 hours of work invested into all the shift mods I did. The way bmw does their manuals is unacceptable for a car of this caliber.

-Replaced the 2 rubber front shifter carrier bushings with Delrin (Rogue)

-Replaced the rear rubber shift carrier bushing with Poly (ECS)

-Replaced the shifter rod with a UUC DSSR

-Purchased Plastic (Nylon) washers at Lowe’s and used them as shims to take all the side to side play out of the attachment of the large shifter carrier to the transmission at the front of its mount. This required sanding them to the perfect thickness so they allowed the metal pins to install without any play in the carrier.

-Replaced the 110k miles transmission shift attachment with a new OEM. I had to use a M3 one to make the DSSR work, it raises the DSSR mount on the tranny about 1/2” to clear the guibo on the driveshaft. The DSSR rubbed the guibo in neutral without this.

Here’s a before and after. Ignore the shift knob swap the after actually has a taller knob which would make the play look even more!

I recently drove my buddies 987 Boxster Spider with a manual. My car has way less shifter play than his 20k miles car when you look at my after video below.

Since these videos I have also change my shifter to the Turner Short Shifter. It took some of the rubber feeling out of the shifter linkage also but because it uses a metal ball in place of the nylon oem it did add some noise. Kind of like sequential or straight cut gearbox whine.

If you have a stock shifter you might not know OEM shifters actually have rubber inside them (right under the shift knob) so that doesn’t help the feeling at all. They feel rubbery stock because they are rubber!

Last edited by Biginboca; 11-19-2021 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #16
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Just FYI here’s after the Turner Tall Short Shifter. This is where the car is at currently. I feel it’s as good as it can be given the limits of our crappy transmissions lol. My transmission feels much less sloppy than the Spyder but the spyder slots smoothly and easily into gear while mine has like a momentary resistance when you try to push into the gate and then it snaps into gear.

I think the synchros need time to mesh? I have noticed if you shift slowly it feels better but I don’t have time for that lol

Last edited by Biginboca; 11-19-2021 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2021, 09:05 AM   #17
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

just caution for anyone who doesn't know: if you ever decide to remove that shifter knob, protect your face! You can break your teeth, or your nose, and I am not exaggerating. You pull on that thing upwards with both hands to remove. Once it comes free, your front arms will rotate on your elbows and guess where your hands holding the now free shift knob will end up hitting? Your face, like a sling shot. Even if you positioned yourself such that your face is away from the stick shift, once it comes free your elbows and your arms will curve naturally towards where your face is.
Don't ask me how I know....
Appreciate 5
      12-16-2021, 09:44 PM   #18
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Do the shift arm support bushings (forward ones from AKG Motorsports, rear one from Turner/ECS), do an AKG selector rod (UUC fitment seemed to be questionable when I was shopping, and I was extremely impressed with the AKG one I put in my 128i), and replace the plastic ball joint in the shift arm. A weighted shift knob like Condor Speed Shop's or just BMW's ZHP knob also makes the shift action feel less plasticky.

Trans mounts won't make a difference for daily driving, but may add a little NVH. My 128i picked up some whine in 2nd gear when I put in E46 M3 mounts. However, if you like some twisty roads they do help keep the shift pattern consistent through the turns.