E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Do NOT buy with Military Sales or from Kolon Motors (Korea)

09-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Do NOT buy with Military Sales or from Kolon Motors (Korea)

I'm currently stationed in Korea and in the horrendous process of trying to finish our purchase of a 2008 X5 through BMW's military sales program. Long story short, do NOT try to buy a BMW through this program and DEFINITELY not from Kolon Motors, the Korean dealership for BMW military sales unless you enjoy lies, half-truths, slimy salesmen and lots of lost time and money. Kolon has branches in Seoul (Yongsan) and Songtan (Osan AB) and were more than happy to hold on to our full payment of nearly $60k for no reason, significantly delaying delivery of our paid in full vehicle. If you're not familiar with the military sales program, it allows military members serving overseas to buy BMWs and Minis at a pretty decent discount. However, even that gets watered down by 0.9% financing and other deals. I won't get into pricing details here. Anyway, I ordered a 2008 X5 3.0si in May 2008, specifying a late July production so I could (hopefully) pick up the car when I returned to the states in September. Everything went fine - gave our 10% deposit, got informed a VIN was assigned and production was starting, etc.

That's when everything went down the crapper. The military sales program requires you to pay in full once a VIN is assigned (should have been my first sign of questionable business practices). I had 10 days to get all our financing in order and have checks Fed Ex'd from the US to Korea. I paid ON TIME! So what does Kolon do with our money? They SAT on it for nearly 5 weeks. They complained about the 'slow' Korean banking system. Never once did they tell me ahead of time that they'd hold on to our money for that long. I guarantee it sat in their stupid bank making interest for them. Every day I called asking where our money was. BMW NA was also asking where the funds were - they hadn't received it yet. Kolon, of course, knew nothing. I was freaking out thinking I had nearly $60k stolen from us.

Finally Kolon tells me the money was wired. Now BMW NA is telling me it's a 7-10 business day process to 'approve the wire transfer and release the vehicle.' WTF? Aren't wire transfers supposed to be instant?? Hence the name?? So our car has been sitting on a lot in South Carolina for 6 weeks now. And a hurricane is on the way - can't wait to see what that does. All because Kolon Motors STOLE our money for 5 weeks and now BMW NA can't figure out how to type a couple of commands into a keyboard. The funny part is the line from BMW NA's email regarding pick up procedures: "You must pick up your vehicle from the dealership within 6 weeks of production" Or what? What if it's not at the dealership because the Korean sales office is a bunch of thieves and BMW NA is a bunch of incompetent morons? Hopefully they'll sell the car so I can get our money back.

And to top it off our E90 330i is going in to the shop for the 5th time in 2 months. Steering wheel lock fixed via new progman update, visit #1. New progman from visit #1 broke TCU (bluetooth, BMW Assist, etc) and needed to be replaced, visit #2. Needed to replace windshield but shop broke new windshield before installing so nothing done, visit #3. (WIndshield replaced by Safelite - required 2 visits, let's call them #3a and #3b). Passenger window won't go up but no motor in stock and no loaner car available, visit #4. Driver's door not unlocking so taking car back to replace window motor as well as fix door lock, visit #5. I'm riding a friggin' Schwinn to work when I get home.

Korea - The Land of the Not Quite Right. BMW - A shadow of their former glory.
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

Holy Crap!

am quite shocked at this.

I have had quite the opposite experience here in Germany.

I can't say enough good things about my CA.

In all fairness I have not taken delivery of my vehicle yet, but since I am in the "homeland", I seriously doubt that I will have parts availability issues should anything go wrong.

I'm sorry that your experience was so negative, however I must ask. Why did you stay with BMW after the issues you are having with your 330?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
kinda funny... you should be expecting a "shitty" experience from the Kolon. Next time, check out sphincter motorsports... I hear they are the shittiest!
      09-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
Next time, check out sphincter motorsports... I hear they are the shittiest!
Only when they're open.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
In all fairness I have not taken delivery of my vehicle yet, but since I am in the "homeland", I seriously doubt that I will have parts availability issues should anything go wrong.

I'm sorry that your experience was so negative, however I must ask. Why did you stay with BMW after the issues you are having with your 330?
As far as your good experience, mine was great too - right up until the last few weeks as I've actually tried to take delivery. And parts availablility isn't my issue at all - it's actually getting the car that is the issue. I hope you don't have to deal with the hell I'm going through when you actually try to get your car.

As for staying with BMW - I ordered the X5 in May and paid for it over 6.5 weeks ago. As I said in my post, the problems with our P.O.S. 330i have all cropped up at random times in the past 7 weeks. So if I had a choice there's no way I'd stay with the company. But since I'm out all the money, guess I'm stuck with them.

Everyone is right. "Kolon" Motors - that should have been my first sign that they'd be full of crap.
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
Nemo 1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: On Order '07 335i BSM/SB

Wow... I had a great experience in Germany. However if my guys had "lost" or "sat" on my check for 5 weeks I might have strangled someone.