E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Just bought a 100K miles E92 335i, what services do I need ?

01-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #45
tys90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorphirith View Post
this is the service records for those who asked
http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/Jo...iamor/library/
Looks like HPFP and valve cover gasket have been replaced. Here are some items I encountered around 90k and are common to other owners:

Oil Filter Housing Gasket (and oil cooler housing gasket if you have an oil cooler)
Water Pump and Thermostat
Transmission pan seal sleeve

Other than that, replace the suggested fluids. Don't be surprised if suspension needs work but that's dependent on how it was drove. I don't believe the pan seal sleeve needs the subframe dropped unless you have the XI but don't quote me on that. My underbody shield was a mess so I replaced a number of the screws holding it in and used some larger washers so they wouldn't tear out as easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #46
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Wow, all this doom and gloom. Don't mean to hijack this thread but I'd appreciate some advice as well.

I bought my (new to me) 2008 335i E90 a month ago w/85k miles and it currently runs GREAT! Plan to keep it at least 5 years. I don't drive that much -- only 10-15k miles/year -- but estimated mileage will be around 135-160k miles by then. Have read reports from owners w/that many miles on their cars w/o many problems. Hope the same applies to this car, but if it becomes too expensive and problematic to maintain, I'll dump it.

Before I bought it, the car was serviced regularly and repaired under a CPO (which runs out in a couple of weeks) at the local BMW dealer for the past 50k miles while the seller owned it; history is spotty before then. Here are the highlights of the service history:

Routine service:
Spark plugs last replaced at 50k
Wiper blades & air cabin filter replaced at 67k
Last oil/filter change at 82k

Special items:
Steering wheel replaced at 47k
Washer pump replaced & brake fluid flush at 67k.
Battery cables replaced and power steering flush at 75k
Fuel pump replaced & front/rear brake rotors/pads replaced at 82k
Fog light assembly replaced at 84.5k

Not sure what was up w/the steering wheel, washer pump and fog light assembly, but they all work fine now. Good to know the fuel pump was already replaced. The only things I've done "mechanically" to the car so far have been to replace the stock air filter (which was VERY clean) w/a K&N filter and installed a Mishimoto FMIC and a Cobb Stage 1+FMIC LT Sport tune.

I'm on the list to get a group walnut blast intake valve cleaning and, based on prior comments, it has been recommended that I install a new valve cover gasket and a new PCV solenoid too. No oil burning or smoking issues so not sure if a new PCV is really needed but a new valve cover gasket is probably a mandatory, if the cover is going to be removed for the intake valve cleaning.

Going to check the cabin air filter needs to be replaced, since it's easy to do and hasn't been changed for 18k miles. No record of a coolant flush but no evidence of the car running hot, so will probably not do that until the 100k service. Will also get new spark plugs and change the auto trans and differential fluids at 100k too.

I'm of the opinion that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" BUT let me know if you have any other MAINTENANCE suggestions that you think that I (and others w/cars with similar mileage) should consider between now and 100k that haven't already been mentioned in this thread in response to the OP above.

Thanks!

Update: The NorCal walnut blasting group buy got busted; the thread and the OP have disappeared. So, I've decided to wait on the intake cleaning until the 100k mile service too. Might as well do the oil change, coolant flush, tranny/diff oil change, intake cleaning and replace the plugs/coils, all at the same time. This will give me time to save up the $ for the $1k+ hit that this MAJOR service will probably cost me. This doesn't include $1k for the set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires that I currently plan to install at 100k miles, when the Bridgestone RFTs currently on the car will probably be due to be replaced.

Checked the cabin air filter and it's filthy after just 19k miles. Ordered a couple of Mann cabin filters from Amazon for $17 each. Should get them in a couple of days. Will install one filter now and the 2nd filter at 100k miles, as well. Here's the link to the DIY thread on this forum on how to replace the filter and reset the service light:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784951

Last edited by SSW; 01-28-2014 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #47
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I just sold my 138k 335i and it was rock solid. These cars last way longer than you guys seem to think with proper maintenance. I fully believe it was ready for another 50k without needing anything at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #48
sp1tfire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

definitely do the serpentine belt and pulleys + tensioner, $200 diy, but can avoid lots of trouble
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #49
rocat14
Private
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 335i xDrive MT

09 335xi 98k

Just coming up to 100k myself, no issues at all. Car is running well! I am about to do a full servicing, pads/rotors, tires, coolant, I just did engine oil about 300 miles ago. I want to look into walnut blasting, might just buy the machine for it because 2 blasts and its cheaper than the cost of the machine -- but I need to get a quote on the service before I decide for sure.

I don't understand why people think these cars are prone to such failure. 3 N54s in the family, and the only true problem (excluding HPFP covered by BMW) was the water pump. That was across 2/3 cars. Over the 4 years of ownership, I've only had the water pump, oil changes, tires, and brake fluid. Not too bad for the joy of driving it.
2011 Cayman S MT (For the Twisties)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #50
hardrivn
Rep
Drives: E46 ZHP, E92 Coup

Garage List
2011 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
My wife bought a new to me 80K Mile E92 328XI and am about to do a 100K Maintenance. The history on the car is limited to 10K mile visits to the BMW dealer since new listed on the carfax, but no details. Bought new with the standard dealer service plan, then traded in sold as CPO with the dealer service plan, and I bought it at 80K miles after it was traded in for another BMW at a different dealer who said they cannot pull the detailed service records if they were not performed at their shop. Regardless, the car runs great, and I had a PPI done by a shop I know and trust, and things looked good WRT bushings, and suspension and did new tires oil, filter at 90K and am now ready for my 100K service.
I already ordered most of my parts from FCP Euro, and my plan of attack is as follows:
F/R Differentials and Transfer case drained and filled with 75/140 Royal Purple
Center Transfer case flushed and filled with BMW specific fluid since I couldn't find specs
Coolant flush with BMW Coolant (close enough in price, didn't care)
Accessory belt, pulley and tensioner. (FCP Kit)
Air Filter / cabin filter
Spark plugs, coils
New Power Steering Reservoir (not expensive and the filter in them is not user replaceable so if you are going to flush might as well do it with a new reservoir)
Manaul Transmission drain and fill with Royal Purple.
New drain and fill plugs for M/T, Differentials, and Transfer Case since they have that stupid non replaceable rubber seal).
Oil and Filter as well of course.
I usually don't bother with O2 sensors as the computer tells you when they act up and are easy to replace.
Also brake fluid was dry when tested so waiting to wear out the pads before I do a flush new pads and rotors with SS Lines when they are done.

Anything else I am missing from the wear and tear preventative maintenance? Also why did they get rid of my dipstick so I can't do a top only oil change in 10 minutes!

Thanks new to this forum but not new to BMWs Currently have an E46 ZHP Vert Manual, just sold my E39 M5, which I sold my E30 M3 to buy. The ZHP will be up for sale soon, as I just bought a 2014 Boxster S with the money from the E39 and don't want the remainder on the loan so the ZHP will pay off the rest of the Boxster I hope. Porsche did the same thing with the dipstick too which really sucks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #51
alexg
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

I bought two BMWs with super high mileage, and apart from standard maintenance items, I had to replace a clutch at 160K miles on an E36 and a center driveshaft on an E39 at 185K miles. Now I have a 335 from almost new and is approaching 100,000 and I plan to do nothing. I changed the fluids when I had time, and the filters, plugs, etc another time when I had some more time, and so it goes. At some point I will have to think on the suspension, but the tires are still wearing evenly. Fear not.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardrivn View Post
My wife bought a new to me 80K Mile E92 328XI and am about to do a 100K Maintenance. The history on the car is limited to 10K mile visits to the BMW dealer since new listed on the carfax, but no details. Bought new with the standard dealer service plan, then traded in sold as CPO with the dealer service plan, and I bought it at 80K miles after it was traded in for another BMW at a different dealer who said they cannot pull the detailed service records if they were not performed at their shop. Regardless, the car runs great, and I had a PPI done by a shop I know and trust, and things looked good WRT bushings, and suspension and did new tires oil, filter at 90K and am now ready for my 100K service.
I already ordered most of my parts from FCP Euro, and my plan of attack is as follows:
F/R Differentials and Transfer case drained and filled with 75/140 Royal Purple
Center Transfer case flushed and filled with BMW specific fluid since I couldn't find specs
Coolant flush with BMW Coolant (close enough in price, didn't care)
Accessory belt, pulley and tensioner. (FCP Kit)
Air Filter / cabin filter
Spark plugs, coils
New Power Steering Reservoir (not expensive and the filter in them is not user replaceable so if you are going to flush might as well do it with a new reservoir)
Manaul Transmission drain and fill with Royal Purple.
New drain and fill plugs for M/T, Differentials, and Transfer Case since they have that stupid non replaceable rubber seal).
Oil and Filter as well of course.
I usually don't bother with O2 sensors as the computer tells you when they act up and are easy to replace.
Also brake fluid was dry when tested so waiting to wear out the pads before I do a flush new pads and rotors with SS Lines when they are done.

Anything else I am missing from the wear and tear preventative maintenance? Also why did they get rid of my dipstick so I can't do a top only oil change in 10 minutes!

Thanks new to this forum but not new to BMWs Currently have an E46 ZHP Vert Manual, just sold my E39 M5, which I sold my E30 M3 to buy. The ZHP will be up for sale soon, as I just bought a 2014 Boxster S with the money from the E39 and don't want the remainder on the loan so the ZHP will pay off the rest of the Boxster I hope. Porsche did the same thing with the dipstick too which really sucks!
The response the dealership gave you about the service records is BS. BMW N.A. has a nation-wide service records database. If the service or repair was done at a BMW dealership, the records are available by the VIN. If you bought the car from the dealer, they should give you the service records redacted of the previous owner(s) information. Also, the service records are stored in the ignition key, which can be read by the SA. The information is not as detailed, but it does tell you what CBS services were performed.

IMO replacing PS reservoir is a bit overkill. Mine is original at 300K+ miles. Same for my 21 year old Z3 at 185,000, and my '89 E30 at 285K
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #53
chriscpmtmp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I have a 328 xdrive and a 335d, both with about 80k. I'm thinking two more years, but who knows.

What is the deal with the water pumps? They just start leaking so check for fluid on the garage floor? Or do they fail and leave you stranded?
Appreciate 0