Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS "Inactive"

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #45
raptorman5174
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6 speed

Any Updates on this problem
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:11 AM   #46
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Same problem, 2008 E92 M3. Have wasted a ton of time and money with local indy shop trying to resolve.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #47
jdhiman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 M-Sport, BSM

Getting the same "LOW TIRE" on all 4 wheels, and eventually switches over to "INACTIVE" after about 15-min of driving over 50MPH.

Just got the tires replaced in January, but same TPMS sensors I believe. Is it true I can't replace the batteries on these? How much does replacement cost? And can an indy shop do it, or America's Tire?
2011 335i BSM 6AT ///M-Sport | Gloss Black Kidney Grill - ///M Stripes | Matte Black "335i" Re-Badge | BSM iND Side Refl Delete | LUX H8 160W Angel Eyes | Smoked Side-Markers | Window Tint | VRSF 3.5" Downpipe | COBB 4" Cat-back Exhaust | 19" Staggered, AVANT GARDE M510 Dolphin Grey Wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #48
VIZSLA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, 2012 328Xi Wa

After eight years and 110k mi inactive warning has come up on the E91.
Is there a “fix” yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #49
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Is there a “fix” yet?
yeah, remove RDC and code to FTM.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #50
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Is there a “fix” yet?
Bad wheel sensor.
Have the sensors checked.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #51
spbridenstine
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan

Hi everyone. This is my first post here, probably not my last! We've acquired a 2007 328i sedan (non i-Drive). I'm getting the TMPS inactive message and when I checked with the previous owner, he said that he had them leave one of the sensors off when he replaced the tires 5 months ago...I guess it was bad and he didn't feel like having a new one put on (dumbass, IMO). Anyway, looking through this thread I think my only option really is to have a new sensor put on whatever tire is missing one. However, I'm considering just removing the TMPS fuse so that I don't have to deal with the flashing error warning every time I drive. Thoughts? Is that a stupid idea? And, if so, how much should I expect to pay for a new sensor and installation?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #52
spbridenstine
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbridenstine View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post here, probably not my last! We've acquired a 2007 328i sedan (non i-Drive). I'm getting the TMPS inactive message and when I checked with the previous owner, he said that he had them leave one of the sensors off when he replaced the tires 5 months ago...I guess it was bad and he didn't feel like having a new one put on (dumbass, IMO). Anyway, looking through this thread I think my only option really is to have a new sensor put on whatever tire is missing one. However, I'm considering just removing the TMPS fuse so that I don't have to deal with the flashing error warning every time I drive. Thoughts? Is that a stupid idea? And, if so, how much should I expect to pay for a new sensor and installation?
Bump...a local tire shop quoted me $75 per tire to replace the sensor. Although, to my knowledge, I only have one that is a problem, I'm inclined to just have all four of them replaced. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #53
Twinning_N54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

I just installed some new tires and wheels and I bought a new BMW TMPS 433mhz, has anyone figured out how to reprogram a set?

CALIFORNIA SMOG LEGAL
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 04:58 AM   #54
Cliftonm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

TPM Inactive

Any ideas on cost of TPM replacement for 2011 328?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #55
ahPuchisHere
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Any updates on how to fix this issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:20 AM   #56
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
I bought protools, took out the RDC (antenna) and coded it out. No more annoying lights or wasted money.

I just check tire pressure every so often, problem solved.

Website if anyone is interested. Its easy to use.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #57
summit
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf1773 View Post
I bought protools, took out the RDC (antenna) and coded it out. No more annoying lights or wasted money.

I just check tire pressure every so often, problem solved.

Website if anyone is interested. Its easy to use.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/
How do you code it out?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #58
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit View Post
How do you code it out?
In my e90 (2011 328), you remove the rdc module (antenna) first. Mine was behind my right rear passenger tire in wheel well. Previous years are in the trunk I think.

After you remove that. You open protools and go to the kombi and disable the 3 tpms items to non active. Restart and the tpms light goes away completely.

I recently got new wheels and tires so I just replaces all the wheel sensor with regular air valves. You now use this age old device called a "tire pressure Guage" to check tire psi, lol.

Seriously, if you have pro tools license i can find the more in depth instructions somewhere if your interested. But it's pretty much as I described.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 05:49 PM   #59
summit
Rep

Quote:
In my e90 (2011 328), you remove the rdc module (antenna) first. Mine was behind my right rear passenger tire in wheel well. Previous years are in the trunk I think.

After you remove that. You open protools and go to the kombi and disable the 3 tpms items to non active. Restart and the tpms light goes away completely.

I recently got new wheels and tires so I just replaces all the wheel sensor with regular air valves. You now use this age old device called a "tire pressure Guage" to check tire psi, lol.

Seriously, if you have pro tools license i can find the more in depth instructions somewhere if your interested. But it's pretty much as I described.
This is what I needed! Thanks bro Getting Protools now. I wasn't sure if I should get ProTool or Bavarian Technic or Foxwell 640 Pro
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #60
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Protools makes things easier and its mostly English not German.

Their website explains it the best as I'm sure you've visited. Their Facebook app is great, everyone is helps alot. Make sure you have a generation they support before purchasing.

I bought the diagnostic and coding licenses for my e90. I love them.

PS no IPhone or Microsoft support, all android by the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #61
summit
Rep

Quote:
Protools makes things easier and its mostly English not German.

Their website explains it the best as I'm sure you've visited. Their Facebook app is great, everyone is helps alot. Make sure you have a generation they support before purchasing.

I bought the diagnostic and coding licenses for my e90. I love them.

PS no IPhone or Microsoft support, all android by the way.
True! I have an e46 and an e90 so this will be for e90 only. My car studders at acceleration after driving a few miles and seems like it could be tied to TPMS light being on.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #62
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The TPMS is the warning system for tire pressure man. Nothing to do with the actual engine. Your issue could be with many other things. First is reading the codes. If you have a CEL on?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #63
summit
Rep

Quote:
The TPMS is the warning system for tire pressure man. Nothing to do with the actual engine. Your issue could be with many other things. First is reading the codes. If you have a CEL on?
No CEL, there was a code for "dirty" Transmission oil which was cleared. However I have been reading into how TPMS feeds into transmission and someone else experienced the same thing.

The transmission guy said it's not a transmission issue but the dealer said its a transmission issue but I doubt dealer put any effort to dig deep and after their diagnosis I smell something burning too. So once I get Protool's bluetooth dongle I would run diagnostics
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:29 PM   #64
idriveuscream
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

TPMS sensors ... when it is time to replace a bad TPMS sensor there are two steps you cannot avoid: 1. You need to remove the wheel from the car and the tire from the wheel, or at least break the tire bead on the one side to get to the tpms sensor. 2. You MUST check and double check and triple check that you are purchasing the correct TPMS sensor for your make, model, year, etc. 433mhz is NOT enough. Take the time to verify the OEM BMW part# and make sure you purchase either BMW or aftermarket that matches the OEM part# VERITEK tpms cost anywhere from $120 - $150 for all four sensors. You could also purchase Autel "MX" sensors either pre-programmed or "blank." If you purchase "blank" MX sensors they can be programmed for any vehicle using an Autel TPMS tool like TS408 ... but but but .... you MUST have the ID (Hex) number for all four of your OEM sensors. Example of ID (Hex) F01E663E. The TS408 tool can wirelessly capture the ID from your OEM sensors if they are not damaged and still "alive." You can also get this information from a high end OBD II reader that can "code." So not the cheap OBD II readers. My choice ... purchase the correct Veritek sensors (all 4) and just bite the bullet and get them installed. Cars require maintenance and this is just part of it.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #65
summit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveuscream View Post
TPMS sensors ... when it is time to replace a bad TPMS sensor there are two steps you cannot avoid: 1. You need to remove the wheel from the car and the tire from the wheel, or at least break the tire bead on the one side to get to the tpms sensor. 2. You MUST check and double check and triple check that you are purchasing the correct TPMS sensor for your make, model, year, etc. 433mhz is NOT enough. Take the time to verify the OEM BMW part# and make sure you purchase either BMW or aftermarket that matches the OEM part# VERITEK tpms cost anywhere from $120 - $150 for all four sensors. You could also purchase Autel "MX" sensors either pre-programmed or "blank." If you purchase "blank" MX sensors they can be programmed for any vehicle using an Autel TPMS tool like TS408 ... but but but .... you MUST have the ID (Hex) number for all four of your OEM sensors. Example of ID (Hex) F01E663E. The TS408 tool can wirelessly capture the ID from your OEM sensors if they are not damaged and still "alive." You can also get this information from a high end OBD II reader that can "code." So not the cheap OBD II readers. My choice ... purchase the correct Veritek sensors (all 4) and just bite the bullet and get them installed. Cars require maintenance and this is just part of it.
That's good info.
I went to a tire shop and they read the data from sensors and when he tried to feed it into OBD2 through their tools, connection kept terminating half way through transfer. On Dashboard it shows as TPMS Inactive. Maybe his tools can't feed into OBD2 if antenna is bad. I say his tool did have option to select e90 so it must support it.
I am also thinking if I just disconnect and remove tire pressure monitoring alltogether, I can eliminate that thing affecting transmission stalling and focus on transmission oil change.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #66
ameyarao
Ameya
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93 2008 modelled

TPM inactive message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda G View Post
Woke up this morning with a flat rear tire so I brought the tire to a local shop and had it replaced. Mounted the tire back on the car now Im getting TPMS Malfunction then TPMS Inactive message.Did the reset in the idrive.. nothing happens just keep saying resetting for about 5 minutes. I went back to the tire shop they scan my tires and say all is working that its a faulty message and that i have a pound to much in the two front tires. He adjusts it for me and then the front left sensor go inactive on his screen. He said its bc of the pound over the allowed and that I have metal air caps instead of plastic. I find this very strange since everything was working fine until i replaced the flat rear tire. These sensors are about 14 months old can they go bad that fast or should I give it a few days and see if it reset before replacing them?
I'm getting TPM inactive message and trying to reset but nothing happens(just showing resetting for 1hr, car in parking gear). Then went to a tyre shop he checked with a machine and said tyre sensors are not detected which means tyre sensors needs to be changed (in my 2008 E93) I didn't replace anything. In a few days had to get brakes replaced so all tyres were refitted post brake change. TPM became active and after few hours became inactive. I'm confused with what the real issue might be. Any leads welcome.
Appreciate 0