E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Things you really hate about your car

02-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #23
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

+1 on oil dip stick. Oil Sensor part price is about $200

I hate every gaskets. Every BMW I have owned always leaked somewhere! Worse than a woman who is on her monthly period!
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 2
Pladi718.00
Thorin117.50
      02-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #24
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Small trunk for a luxury sedan... Leg room is pretty bad too in the back seats.

I too hate the fact i cant check the oil with a dip stick.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #25
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Other users have already mentioned these:
- The melted passenger door handle
- Seatbelt butlers that work <50% of the time, I just coded them off but now the seatbelts are a reach
- Cold weather warning light which seems to be impossible to code out no matter what I try
- Shoddy cup holders, no issue with them on my current car yet though

But to add to the list:
- The tornado/air raid warning ringtone
- No jailbroken CIC software, I just want a damn boost gauge to make the iDrive somewhat useful!
- As of lately, random 30FE overboost & limp mode when just cruising on the highway. Has happened only 3 times so not a real issue yet. Nothing like a good ol’ start/stop at 75mph.

Lol at all of the auto wipers comments, I stopped using it and instead manually press the wipers each time unless I’m driving in torrential downpours. Drives my buddy crazy when he’s riding with me. Manual wipers are like a manual transmission, they wipe when I want them to!
      02-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #26
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

She getting old
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #27
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
Lol at all of the auto wipers comments, I stopped using it and instead manually press the wipers each time unless I’m driving in torrential downpours. Drives my buddy crazy when he’s riding with me. Manual wipers are like a manual transmission, they wipe when I want them to!
properly working auto wipers wipe just when I want them too, with no interaction from me.

I never touch the stalk in my wife's car.

constantly fiddling in mine.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #28
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

My auto wipers work fine. I used them on the way to work today in heavy rain and they would speed up and down at the right time based on the intensity of the rain.

I won't complain about things I can fix on this car. Here are the things I can't fix (easily at least):

1) Peeling interior door handle and steering wheel at 70k miles
2) Passenger door handle melting and leaving residue on the passenger's hand

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #29
Blue E92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is e92

Garage List
2012 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Having to pull the door handle twice to get out of the car. Luckily fixed with coding.

The peeling door handles, hasn’t started on the my is ...yet but it was so annoying on my old 335i.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe127 View Post
- Like the auto wiper light, the heated steering wheel button/light is hidden behind the wheel
- Spraying the windshield requires you to turn off the rear wiper (wagon)
- There’s no gap for an aux cord to come out of the arm rest, so you have to crush the cord
Smashing the aux cord in the center console is one that bothers me. I guess this design is a relic of the "iPod era," when people didn't need or want to access the aux-connected device while driving. But it sure would be nice to get a high-quality thick aux cord in the car without immediately crushing it and ruining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue E92 View Post
Having to pull the door handle twice to get out of the car. Luckily fixed with coding.
To fix that one, I just press the unlock button on the dash when I'm slowly rolling up to a stop in my parking space. The passengers know it's time to get out and they only have to pull the handle once.
      02-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #31
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbmw View Post

3. I had leaking tire which couldn't be fixed which meant I had to replace all 4 tires since I have xDrive. That sucked big time and cost a shit load
Wait what one tire had a leak (which the shop couldn't find-already a bad sign)
so the told you to replace all tires to remedy the leak on the one tire?

strange

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #32
coochjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: White 2010 335xi

The auto wipers work well sometimes and awful other times so they get on my nerves and I turn them off. Also the 37 degree temp warning annoys the hell out of me especially when I get on it and It dings, scares the crap out of me. The seatbelt catcher never works and I always get asked what it is lol. Cup holders are to small, so sometimes I lay down the rear armrest to use it's cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #33
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The 37 deg. notification goes back to the 1980's so I'm used to that.

I have noticed that when the rain sensor is activated, it controls the speed of the HVAC blower fan by keeping it 1 or 2 stages higher than it needs to be. My theory on the rain-sensing wipers is they don't work well once the windshield gets some miles on it and is pitted because the rain sensor is then degraded. I think the degraded state of the rain sensor keeps the wipers from wiping at the right time and keeps the blower speed artificially too high. I guess the engineers never considered the condition of the glass would change over time.

My 2 cents.
Nah, mine sucked when there was only a few thousand miles on the car. And a rock meant I needed a new windshield at 97k and they were still crap after that.

They just suck.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #34
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
It has the worst cup holders ever. I also hate that mine was specc'd without heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #35
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post

strange
AFAIK AWD cars you want to have same tires with same wear for proper function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue E92 View Post

The peeling door handles, hasn’t started on the my is ...yet but it was so annoying on my old 335i.
Waaa you can code out double handle pull? What entry is it?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #36
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

Engine cowl. Hate it. Wish there were something cheaper than the M3 cowl. I still want water protection and not to smell engine smells so BMS cowl filters are not an option.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #37
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post

strange
They were just being thorough. Logically their solution would have fixed the issue with a 99.5% certainty. You can take that to the bank.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #38
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I find it funny how the new 8 series now has detents on the stalks lol

I actually quite like no detents, makes it more "modern" and electronic.
Even the cruise control, I believe that with German cars they were always on, i.e. no power switches. Now, they are like everyone else, you have to turn the cruise control on first! It's like oooh...you can't be trusted to drive your vehicle that always on cruise is too dangerous!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #39
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
Smashing the aux cord in the center console is one that bothers me. I guess this design is a relic of the "iPod era," when people didn't need or want to access the aux-connected device while driving. But it sure would be nice to get a high-quality thick aux cord in the car without immediately crushing it and ruining it.
I found a flat aux cord at Wall Greens. Works great.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #40
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Even the cruise control, I believe that with German cars they were always on, i.e. no power switches. Now, they are like everyone else, you have to turn the cruise control on first! It's like oooh...you can't be trusted to drive your vehicle that always on cruise is too dangerous!
I think the BMW stalk cruise control is the best ergonomic one added to a car. The E30 version was even better.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #41
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

I hate the failure-prone design of the power window regulators.
I hate the peeling of the interior soft-touch rubber/plastic.
I hate that xDrive doesn't have a defeat button or torque distribution knob.
I hate seeing the blank buttons between the seat heater and hill decent buttons.
I hate that audio hardware upgrades are so difficult (I have Harman/Lexicon Logic7).
I hate the lack of customizing options for the EQ and surround sound.
I hate the seatbelt ding (driving without a belt, please ding! But just starting the car, come on)
I hate the iDrive lag.
I hate the rear turn indicators being red, not amber.
There's plenty of locations to install aftermarket electronics. But I hate that there's so few places to put switches/interfaces/displays and have it look decent.
I hate there is no spare, and no room for one. RFT are a joke.
I hate that a bad crash would attempt to initiate an emergency call on the defunct BMW Assist modem, instead of just dialing 911 on my smartphone over bluetooth.
I hate that the previous hate makes the SOS button useless.
I hate TPMS. FTM is sufficient.
I hate the cold-startup features of the DME. Excessive idle RPMs, ridiculous noises (exhaust recycling?)
I hate the positive rake of the suspension. Luckily my AWD model isn't as bad as the RWD models.
I hate that the SDARS is Sirius instead of XM (XM has significantly better sound quality)
I hate that the aux/USB drive function doesn't support FLAC.
I hate that the fuel pump comes on every time I touch the car.
I hate that I have to hold the brake to start.
I hate the lack of USB charging.
I hate the lack of automatic high-beams.
I hate how heavy the seats are. One motor with a transmission would save so much weight over a motor for every movement.
I hate that the seat memory doesn't include back support memory.
I hate the impossibility of affordable aftermarket remote start. And lack of factory remote start.
I hate it when the radio and lights shut off while I'm still in the car with the key in.
I hate how low the drivetrain is geared. With all the low end torque in an N54, 1st gear is useless and 6th gear isn't long enough for cruising efficiency.
I hate how light the rear feels with no cargo, no passengers, and low fuel.
I hate how others stereotype BMW drivers.

I'm sure there's more. But even with my long list, I love a much longer list of things about my car.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #42
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Talking

Things I don't like:
1- Not being able to DIY most of the things I DIY'ed on all my previous BMW.
2- Leaky OFHG above the engine belts. Poor design and cheap quality materials.
3- Complicated Battery Replacement Procedure (which doesn't even benefit the lifespan of the battery)
4- Run Flat Tires and no spare tire.
5- Water pump destined to fail for no apparent reason at around 50k miles.
6- Water pump costing a fortune to replace
7- Ownership costs is about the same as a F10 BMW 535i

Things I like:
-On the E90 I've really come to appreciate xDrive. Love it and I cannot see myself getting a future BMW without it.

-Lots of easy to do cosmetic retrofit upgrades like split sliding armrest, steering wheel upgrades, steel sport pedals, dash camera, etc...

-The E90 LCI ages very well (inside and outside) for what will be a 10 year old car this year.

-Over all a fun to drive car. The N55 engine is pretty dope. The E90 was the last real "drivers" 3 Series for
it's brilliant driving dynamics that doesn't have a lot of tech to get in the way of the road feel.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 02-14-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #43
tgyberg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328 6MT / E36 M3

Could be a sedan thing but the really wide center console doesnt allow me to line up my leg and foot with the gas pedal. In the E36 it's a straight shot and very comfortable. Now I feel like I'm bending my leg to get over to the gas pedal. That leg and hip always hurts as a result
      02-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #44
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
I hate the failure-prone design of the power window regulators.
I hate the peeling of the interior soft-touch rubber/plastic.
I hate that xDrive doesn't have a defeat button or torque distribution knob.
I hate seeing the blank buttons between the seat heater and hill decent buttons.
I hate that audio hardware upgrades are so difficult (I have Harman/Lexicon Logic7).
I hate the lack of customizing options for the EQ and surround sound.
I hate the seatbelt ding (driving without a belt, please ding! But just starting the car, come on)
I hate the iDrive lag.
I hate the rear turn indicators being red, not amber.
There's plenty of locations to install aftermarket electronics. But I hate that there's so few places to put switches/interfaces/displays and have it look decent.
I hate there is no spare, and no room for one. RFT are a joke.
I hate that a bad crash would attempt to initiate an emergency call on the defunct BMW Assist modem, instead of just dialing 911 on my smartphone over bluetooth.
I hate that the previous hate makes the SOS button useless.
I hate TPMS. FTM is sufficient.
I hate the cold-startup features of the DME. Excessive idle RPMs, ridiculous noises (exhaust recycling?)
I hate the positive rake of the suspension. Luckily my AWD model isn't as bad as the RWD models.
I hate that the SDARS is Sirius instead of XM (XM has significantly better sound quality)
I hate that the aux/USB drive function doesn't support FLAC.
I hate that the fuel pump comes on every time I touch the car.
I hate that I have to hold the brake to start.
I hate the lack of USB charging.
I hate the lack of automatic high-beams.
I hate how heavy the seats are. One motor with a transmission would save so much weight over a motor for every movement.
I hate that the seat memory doesn't include back support memory.
I hate the impossibility of affordable aftermarket remote start. And lack of factory remote start.
I hate it when the radio and lights shut off while I'm still in the car with the key in.
I hate how low the drivetrain is geared. With all the low end torque in an N54, 1st gear is useless and 6th gear isn't long enough for cruising efficiency.
I hate how light the rear feels with no cargo, no passengers, and low fuel.
I hate how others stereotype BMW drivers.

I'm sure there's more. But even with my long list, I love a much longer list of things about my car.
So seriously, what do you like about your car? You don't even like the gearing and unlaiden feel of the rear of the car when it is near 50/50 weight balance even with x-drive? LOL.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-14-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50