E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What did you do to your car today?

08-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #9879
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDriveGerman View Post
They're expensive for the pair, around 800 unless you do non BMW valves. Probably between 4-6 hours of labor. I like to take my time, take pictures and study things so I never have a where does this go or how does that work moment.
Well, you can get even BMW ones for around $300 ea. I've seen them go around $260 occasionally.

I'd also say that it's more of a 2 hour job vs 4-6 - especially if you're just replacing the valves (since you don't have to completely pull). But my first time took me 3 hours with the labeling, etc. Get's easier with repetition.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #9880
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bandaged a cracking hood release.

Fixed infamous DS mode wire issue.

Replaced door actuator that was going nuts.

Got my M4 rims back from the wheel shop that was making them purdy again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #9881
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Finally tore down the interior to replace the dash to finish the nbt evo touchscreen install.

While I'm in there, adding heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise, rear camera, and f32 harman kardon subs
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      08-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #9882
Dpc2u
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E60 M5, F15 X5, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
Finally tore down the interior to replace the dash to finish the nbt evo touchscreen install.

While I'm in there, adding heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise, rear camera, and f32 harman kardon subs
I think you missed a screw.

IG - @thebimmerhaus
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #9883
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
They're expensive for the pair, around 800 unless you do non BMW valves. Probably between 4-6 hours of labor. I like to take my time, take pictures and study things so I never have a where does this go or how does that work moment.
Well, you can get even BMW ones for around $300 ea. I've seen them go around $260 occasionally.

I'd also say that it's more of a 2 hour job vs 4-6 - especially if you're just replacing the valves (since you don't have to completely pull). But my first time took me 3 hours with the labeling, etc. Get's easier with repetition.
Completely pulling the manifold makes the job way easier, unless you have the arm and hand of a 5 year old to reach in places you really can't see. Like I said, I like to take my time. That's not me poking fun, just saying, small hands needed to do it that way.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #9884
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Completely pulling the manifold makes the job way easier, unless you have the arm and hand of a 5 year old to reach in places you really can't see. Like I said, I like to take my time. That's not me poking fun, just saying, small hands needed to do it that way.
I actually unscrew the manifold, I just swap the DISA in place (pulling it slightly off and open) since its accessible vs taking it all the way out (and also avoiding disconnecting the noodles below that).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #9885
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post

This is a perfect time to properly clean up the AC Evaporator.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #9886
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
This is a perfect time to properly clean up the AC Evaporator.
Ooh, excellent point!
I'll add it to my list.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #9887
MrFisher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328 xi SportsWagon

Drove to work and back.

(new owner/member, just replying for a first post)
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 11:55 PM   #9888
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Had my oil pan gasket, and rear differential leak repaired. I suddenly noticed a squeaky sound coming from under the car. Took it back to my indy shop. They put my E90 on the lift, and used a rubber mallet. The squeak was coming from the heat shield. They repaired it. I'm so glad they were able to find the squeak. It was driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #9889
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisher View Post
Drove to work and back.

(new owner/member, just replying for a first post)
Welcome to the dark side.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
4 Doors1169.00
      08-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #9890
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Sunday I applied Mothers CMX ceramic spray coating on the Lexus. I have to say I'm impressed with the results. I've used nano coatings on rims before, but never on a cars body. Two days after applying, it rained, I can't believe how great this stuff works. I'll see how long this product holds up; expecting only a few months but we'll see. I'm expecting failure by spring will put an actual nano bonding ceramic coating on it then.

Edit: Started doing some digging to determine how long to expect this stuff to last and couldn't find anyone stating how long it lasted before the protection begins to fail. Aside from amazon reviews, which I don't trust, I couldn't find anyone with a clear answer.

From Mother's website:
How long does it last?
CMX Ceramic Spray Coating durability testing is still ongoing - currently it has outlasted all of our tests. For example, one of our test cars has been run through 100+ automatic drive-through brush car washes, as well as daily ocean salt air exposure. The panels show little to no degradation of the ceramic coating, still exhibiting superb shine and excellent hydrophobicity.

https://www.facebook.com/mothersusa/...1960840191274/

Last edited by King Rudi; 08-21-2019 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 4
Wolf 3352340.50
Rmtt8211.00
      08-21-2019, 07:54 AM   #9891
OnlyDriveGerman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
I actually unscrew the manifold, I just swap the DISA in place (pulling it slightly off and open) since its accessible vs taking it all the way out (and also avoiding disconnecting the noodles below that).
I guess you didn't change you intake manifold gaskets? Guess you'll be pulling the entire manifold when you have an air leak to replace them… cutting corners does not, I repeat, does not, save time.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:03 AM   #9892
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep
Drives: 335is DCT

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
2009 E92 328i xdrive  [0.00]
Finally e85 complete. Fuel it stage 2 lpfp, Motiv short line kit with sensor, MHD e85 mixed maps. Not to difficult of a project, but the end result is nice!
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #9893
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Sunday I applied Mothers CMX ceramic spray coating on the Lexus. I have to say I'm impressed with the results. I've used nano coatings on rims before, but never on a cars body. Two days after applying, it rained, I can't believe how great this stuff works. I'll see how long this product holds up; expecting only a few months but we'll see. I'm expecting failure by spring will put an actual nano bonding ceramic coating on it then.

Edit: Started doing some digging to determine how long to expect this stuff to last and couldn't find anyone stating how long it lasted before the protection begins to fail. Aside from amazon reviews, which I don't trust, I couldn't find anyone with a clear answer.

From Mother's website:
How long does it last?
CMX Ceramic Spray Coating durability testing is still ongoing - currently it has outlasted all of our tests. For example, one of our test cars has been run through 100+ automatic drive-through brush car washes, as well as daily ocean salt air exposure. The panels show little to no degradation of the ceramic coating, still exhibiting superb shine and excellent hydrophobicity.

That's a good bang for ur buck i personally think it's better than the meguiars hybrid ceramic
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #9894
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
That's a good bang for ur buck i personally think it's better than the meguiars hybrid ceramic
I honestly bought it on a whim. I was out of wax and thought I would try something different this time. Due to my work schedule and the weather, I hadn't been able to apply it until this past weekend. I did clay and IPA the entire car before applying. Weather permitting, I will most likely stack it this weekend with another coat, as I barely used any of the contents of the spray bottle. Stupid easy to apply. Highly recommend this stuff!
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #9895
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I guess you didn't change you intake manifold gaskets? Guess you'll be pulling the entire manifold when you have an air leak to replace them… cutting corners does not, I repeat, does not, save time.
Eh, touché I suppose. I think that's debatable if it's a complete one-time use compression item.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #9896
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:

From Mother's website:
How long does it last?

I have heard everything from it failing after 2 washes to it lasting months. I enjoy detailing as a hobby and I spend a lot of time researching and trying products. My current system for paint protection is Jescar powerlock sealant, two coats of Collinite 845 and I top it all with beadmaker as a drying aide. I can usually get 4-6 months before the Collinite starts to fail(I just add another coat as long as the paint is still fee of contamination) and about a year before strip washing and starting over with the sealant. I have used a few of those spray coatings and I have had poor results.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #9897
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
I have heard everything from it failing after 2 washes to it lasting months. I enjoy detailing as a hobby and I spend a lot of time researching and trying products. My current system for paint protection is Jescar powerlock sealant, two coats of Collinite 845 and I top it all with beadmaker as a drying aide. I can usually get 4-6 months before the Collinite starts to fail(I just add another coat as long as the paint is still fee of contamination) and about a year before strip washing and starting over with the sealant. I have used a few of those spray coatings and I have had poor results.
Hoping for the best here, but not expecting more than just a few months. Glad to hear someone with some detailing experience give some feedback. I read a few of the amazon reviews, but as stated before, I don't put much faith into those reviews as a person doesn't know the background of the individual writing the review. Perhaps their knowledge is inadequate, maybe they did not properly execute their prep, etc. A project is only going to yield positive results based on the individuals background, knowledge and understanding of what they are working with and what they are working on, along with the quality of the product they are using and most importantly the amount of effort that is put into their prep-work.

I used to detail cars on the side. Nothing crazy exotic, but typically only dealt with higher-end (for this area - BMW's, Audi's, Infiniti's & Lexus' mostly) clientele. They always wanted a basic hand wash, wax & full interior detail. On a rare occasion, I would have someone who wanted something a little more resilient and time consuming. Those were the jobs I always enjoyed - trying new products and getting feedback from the customers on how they lasted. This is how I come to my love/hate relationship with Chemical Guys products. Always had good luck with Adams polishes. I had one customer that always wanted me to use Repel on his 135i. I had never heard of it before and tried to find it to post a link here. It was an odd little product. If I recall correctly, you put it on, let it bake in the sun and then let it set over night, then buff and polish. To me it seemed like a waste of his money and my time as I had to keep his car over night.

Last edited by King Rudi; 08-21-2019 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #9898
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Quote:
Hoping for the best here, but not expecting more than just a few months. Glad to hear someone with some detailing experience give some feedback. I read a few of the amazon reviews, but as stated before, I don't put much faith into those reviews as a person doesn't know the background of the individual writing the review. Perhaps their knowledge is inadequate, maybe they did not properly execute their prep, etc. A project is only going to yield positive results based on the individuals background, knowledge and understanding of what they are working with and what they are working on, along with the quality of the product they are using and most importantly the amount of effort that is put into their prep-work.

I used to detail cars on the side. Nothing crazy exotic, but typically only dealt with higher-end (for this area - BMW's, Audi's, Infiniti's & Lexus' mostly) clientele. They always wanted a basic hand wash, wax & full interior detail. On a rare occasion, I would have someone who wanted something a little more resilient and time consuming. Those were the jobs I always enjoyed - trying new products and getting feedback from the customers on how they lasted. This is how I come to my love/hate relationship with Chemical Guys products. Always had good luck with Adams polishes. I had one customer that always wanted me to use Repel on his 135i. I had never heard of it before and tried to find it to post a link here. It was an odd little product. If I recall correctly, you put it on, let it bake in the sun and then let it set over night, then buff and polish. To me it seemed like a waste of his money and my time as I had to keep his car over night.
I used a lot of Adams stuff but I am starting to shy away from it. There are new products out there that work as well and cost less. Adams is also starting to use the Chemical guys marketing playbook and while their products are better, it kinda turns me off. I still love their car shampoo though.

I haven't heard of Repel but it sounds strange.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #9899
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:

From Mother's website:
How long does it last?

Interesting... I saw this recently and figured I'd give it a go. I want to do a good ceramic coating but time has been my hindering factor. I just haven't had a chance to get any of my daily's pulled into the garage to do some decent paint correction, clay, anything... so this might be an option until I can devote 20-40 hrs into a full paint correction and then a ceramic coating like Cquartz.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #9900
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Interesting... I saw this recently and figured I'd give it a go. I want to do a good ceramic coating but time has been my hindering factor. I just haven't had a chance to get any of my daily's pulled into the garage to do some decent paint correction, clay, anything... so this might be an option until I can devote 20-40 hrs into a full paint correction and then a ceramic coating like Cquartz.
This was my problem also. I typically wax mine about once a month. I figured this would buy me some time, until spring, so I could do a proper ceramic coating. Let me know what you think once you have it on and how long it takes before you start to see it fail.
Appreciate 0