E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front suspension clicking noise when turning the wheel to the left

05-13-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
TanzM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Front suspension clicking noise when turning the wheel to the left

When I turn my wheel to the left I'm hearing a clicking noise coming from the driver side of the front suspension. This doesn't happen when I turn the wheel to the right.

I've replaced my front control arms and tension struts but that didn't do anything. My car has 85k miles and is on ST coilovers.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I've read about people replacing the sway bar bushings but I don't think those people had the exact symptoms. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Have you check the bearing in your strut mounts or the sway bar end link? Also check for bind in the spring and spring seat area.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport
Have you check the bearing in your strut mounts or the sway bar end link? Also check for bind in the spring and spring seat area.
Yep, I had this when I didn't tighten the sway bar link properly.
      05-25-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Check and tightened the star bolts on the actual steering subframe underneath the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
Yep, I had this when I didn't tighten the sway bar link properly.
Word. Completely loosen end link and see if the noise goes away.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      05-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
SouthDiesel190
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowD
When I turn my wheel to the left I'm hearing a clicking noise coming from the driver side of the front suspension. This doesn't happen when I turn the wheel to the right.

I've replaced my front control arms and tension struts but that didn't do anything. My car has 85k miles and is on ST coilovers.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I've read about people replacing the sway bar bushings but I don't think those people had the exact symptoms. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I recently had this issue but it was on the passenger side when turning left and it turned out to be bad engine mounts. Not the easiest thing to check but worth considering if you've troubleshot other suspension components already and come up empty
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
only1harry
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive

It might the steering linkage or other steering component. Not sure though since it's doing it only when turning the steering wheel 1 way only. I had a clicking sound in the steering wheel when turning the wheel slightly left and right at any speed, and it turned out to be the lower shaft joint.

You may just have a loose sway bar endlink like others said which is the least serious and easiest to fix by tightening it.
I also had a cliking noise when I had a loose upper control arm. It was not tightened enough by the mechanic. He tightened it "loosely" by hand and was going to torque it, but got distracted and forgot to do it before lowering the car. This is why when I watch mechanics work on my cars, I try not to talk to them much, and hate it when people walk up to them to chat and BS when they are working on my car. Another time I had a mechanic forget to tighten the clamp on a radiator hose and I started smelling it several miles down the road when the hose came loose and it was dumping antifreeze all over the engine bay.

Harry
      07-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 07 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
The heatshield may be coming into contact with the steering rack on the passenger's side. Especially if you've had downpipes done, there's a good chance that the heat shield was moved closer to the tie rod end to give more room while installing.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #9
sfixed
Rep
Drives: bmw 330i

Did u ever figure out the noise?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #10
Petrolhead3010
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Reviving a dead thread....

My car has recently started making clunking/creaking noises when turning the wheel either direction. It seems to be more prominent at slower speeds, but it definitely clunks no matter my speed. It wouldn't be caused by the dp's, as I've had them on for almost 1k miles. I have checked my coilovers (namely, the springs) & everything looked & felt good. Had a collection of debris at the bottom, is all. I am curious about the preload, though. Front end in the air, im able to rotate my springs. Leaving me with the impression that the previous owner didnt set any preload. It cant move any other direction, but it isnt very difficult to twist. With weight on wheels, do you think that could be the issue (not enough preload)?

Last edited by Petrolhead3010; 11-27-2016 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #11
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggling_Donkey View Post
Reviving a dead thread....

My car has recently started making clunking/creaking noises when turning the wheel either direction. It seems to be more prominent at slower speeds, but it definitely clunks no matter my speed. It wouldn't be caused by the dp's, as I've had them on for almost 1k miles. I have checked my coilovers (namely, the springs) & everything looked & felt good. Had a collection of debris at the bottom, is all. I am curious about the preload, though. Front end in the air, im able to rotate my springs. Leaving me with the impression that the previous owner didnt set any preload. It cant move any other direction, but it isnt very difficult to twist. With weight on wheels, do you think that could be the issue (not enough preload)?
I previously posted about my sway bar links causing this issue. But I also had an issue recently with my subframe wasn't fully torqued which caused a chattering noise when turning left and right. Make sure what you recently removed is fully torqued into position. I hope this helps.
      11-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #12
Petrolhead3010
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
I previously posted about my sway bar links causing this issue. But I also had an issue recently with my subframe wasn't fully torqued which caused a chattering noise when turning left and right. Make sure what you recently removed is fully torqued into position. I hope this helps.
I'll check those today. One thing I forgot to mention is that with the front end on jack stands I turned the wheels manually, at the wheel well & at the steering wheel. Nothing. No sounds or noticeable binding. So the issue only happens when there is weight on the wheels. I'm going to apply grease along the bottom perch to see if that is binding
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #13
W$Adrian602
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i e90 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead3010 View Post
Quote:
I'll check those today. One thing I forgot to mention is that with the front end on jack stands I turned the wheels manually, at the wheel well & at the steering wheel. Nothing. No sounds or noticeable binding. So the issue only happens when there is weight on the wheels. I'm going to apply grease along the bottom perch to see if that is binding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead3010 View Post
Quote:

Did you ever figure that out? My dumbass hit a curb a few months back really messed up my rocking pinion my lower control arm on the front passenger side had got it fixed but ever since ive been hearing those clicking noises at low speed when making u turns or even reversing into a parking spot i own a 2010 e90
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #14
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Engine mount
Appreciate 0