E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Review -- Sonic Tuning-- 4300k HID Fog Lamps -- E90 LCI

06-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
Thumbs up Review -- Sonic Tuning-- 4300k HID Fog Lamps -- E90 LCI

Customer Service:
Sonic Tuning offers great customer service. I personally phoned them and they always answered the phone quickly. Whether its dealing with Ray or Jose. You are in good hands. Order was placed on their website and they ship out very quickly with a tracking number too.

Product:
I ordered 4300k HID fogs for two reasons: color match my stock xenons and to light up the road. The stock halogens are nothing compared to this. this is easily 10 times brighter. I did not like the color of the stock halogens so i switched to GP Thunders. Those gave a nice color output but my light output was slightly reduced making these practically useless. HID is the only way to go.

Everything you need is included in the box. from double sided tape, zip ties, to capacitors to all the different sockets. Its all there. Of course there is the hid bulb and ballast too. Quality is nice although one minor gripe i wish the ballast to be a bit smaller. not to worry though there is plenty of room behind the bumper to mount and store everything.

Installation:
Install took roughly an hour because i was trying to find a good spot to mount my ballasts. I also took off my wheels and fender liners. This took longer but its easier to work with. I can turn my wheels on full lock and peel back my fender liner but you have less space to work with; still do-able though.

Install is very straight forward. you locate factory H8 fog lamp press down on black tabs, pull down to disconnect the socket and twist off the bulb. replace it with hid bulb. hook all the wires up and screw on the ballast. The amount of wires may look overwhelming but its actually fool proof. there is only 1 way to plug them.

Ballast mounting:
for the driver side, i mounted the ballast at where the Horn is located. there is a metal bolt there. I unscrewed that and hooked the ballast onto the screw and tighten the bolt.

for the passenger side, some of us will have an oil cooler so i chose to mount it ontop of the oil cooler. the cooler is not hot so it is safe.

Our spot for the ballast is relatively safe, it is weather proof. I don't think water can get in there because it is sealed off with our fender liner.

Results:

I'm extremely happy with the color match. its spot on with my stock xenons.
Its very bright at night. so bright that i can drive without my low beams on. Not only are fog lamps supposed to enhance the appearance of the car, they should also provide proper illumination.

I cannot be happier with these fogs. you will definitely turn heads with this set up.

For the record I have been running this for 2 weeks now and absolutely no flickering and no error.

GP Thunder (LEFT) . 4300k HID (RIGHT)

Matching

xenons on, Fogs on

xenons on, Fogs on, very wide beam pattern from fogs.

Xenons off, fogs on

xenons off, fogs on

xenons off, fogs on

xenons off, fogs on

I couldn't be happier with their product price and service. Hit them up for your fog light needs.
      06-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
H4n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Nice! I need to install mine. I've been lazy haha
      06-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Nice! I'm thinking I'll take my next paycheck and go LUX H8 V3, Interior LED Kit, LED sidemarkers, and 4300K HID fogs...you know just get almost all of my lighting needs in one fell swoop
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
domrep
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E93 335i

sweet, looks good. thanks once again for the good lighting reviews.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #5
98005xi
Just a lowly, lowly cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

nice writeup and pics. thank again for being so detailed bro!

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Two questions: what'd these cost and have you been flashed by other drivers for these?
      06-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Two questions: what'd these cost and have you been flashed by other drivers for these?
http://www.sonictuning.com/xenon-ret...rsion-kit.html
There's your cost--just select your options accordingly. I'm doing them soon so I'll tell you if I get flashed by other drivers
I think the most idea solution would be to upgrade to projector fogs, a lá the bimmian.com ones--those would be much more efficient at controlling the light output in an effective manor. Maybe it's time to hit up an auto junkyard for some projector headlights for those lenses
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #8
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4n View Post
Nice! I need to install mine. I've been lazy haha
go for it! it will be worth your while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Nice! I'm thinking I'll take my next paycheck and go LUX H8 V3, Interior LED Kit, LED sidemarkers, and 4300K HID fogs...you know just get almost all of my lighting needs in one fell swoop
haha wow! prepare to have a DRASTIC transformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domrep View Post
sweet, looks good. thanks once again for the good lighting reviews.
thanks for the support dom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98005xi View Post
nice writeup and pics. thank again for being so detailed bro!
thanks! i hope i don't bore you guys with all my writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
yep its on the sonic tuning website. I haven't been flashed by other drivers yet but glare is more pronounced than stock fog lamps. There is definitely more glare but its expected for HID in reflector housing. being fog lamps, its lower to the ground so that helps with reducing glare a little.
      02-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
ray_futbol
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328i|E70 LCI xDrive50i

Garage List
HID kit still running well? Also how does it do in cold weather? Thinking about pulling the trigger on a set.

2013 VW Golf R | APR Stage 2+
2015 BMW F06 640i xDrive | M Sport Edition | 20' Avant Garde M510
Retired 2009 E90 328i xDrive | M Sport | BMW Performance Grille, Intake, Exhaust, BBK | AA Stg 2 | 3 Stage Manifold | Bilstein Sport | Eibach Pro | OEM CF Spoiler | CF Lip | Alufelgen SF-71
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaifaun View Post
Customer Service:
Sonic Tuning offers great customer service. I personally phoned them and they always answered the phone quickly. Whether its dealing with Ray or Jose. You are in good hands. Order was placed on their website and they ship out very quickly with a tracking number too.

Product:
I ordered 4300k HID fogs for two reasons: color match my stock xenons and to light up the road. The stock halogens are nothing compared to this. this is easily 10 times brighter. I did not like the color of the stock halogens so i switched to GP Thunders. Those gave a nice color output but my light output was slightly reduced making these practically useless. HID is the only way to go.

Everything you need is included in the box. from double sided tape, zip ties, to capacitors to all the different sockets. Its all there. Of course there is the hid bulb and ballast too. Quality is nice although one minor gripe i wish the ballast to be a bit smaller. not to worry though there is plenty of room behind the bumper to mount and store everything.

Installation:
Install took roughly an hour because i was trying to find a good spot to mount my ballasts. I also took off my wheels and fender liners. This took longer but its easier to work with. I can turn my wheels on full lock and peel back my fender liner but you have less space to work with; still do-able though.

Install is very straight forward. you locate factory H8 fog lamp press down on black tabs, pull down to disconnect the socket and twist off the bulb. replace it with hid bulb. hook all the wires up and screw on the ballast. The amount of wires may look overwhelming but its actually fool proof. there is only 1 way to plug them.

Ballast mounting:
for the driver side, i mounted the ballast at where the Horn is located. there is a metal bolt there. I unscrewed that and hooked the ballast onto the screw and tighten the bolt.

for the passenger side, some of us will have an oil cooler so i chose to mount it ontop of the oil cooler. the cooler is not hot so it is safe.

Our spot for the ballast is relatively safe, it is weather proof. I don't think water can get in there because it is sealed off with our fender liner.

Results:

I'm extremely happy with the color match. its spot on with my stock xenons.
Its very bright at night. so bright that i can drive without my low beams on. Not only are fog lamps supposed to enhance the appearance of the car, they should also provide proper illumination.

I cannot be happier with these fogs. you will definitely turn heads with this set up.

For the record I have been running this for 2 weeks now and absolutely no flickering and no error.

GP Thunder (LEFT) . 4300k HID (RIGHT)

Matching

xenons on, Fogs on

xenons on, Fogs on, very wide beam pattern from fogs.

Xenons off, fogs on

xenons off, fogs on

xenons off, fogs on

xenons off, fogs on

I couldn't be happier with their product price and service. Hit them up for your fog light needs.
Great write up!!! glad you are enjoying them!! let us know if you need anything!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
ray_futbol
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
i just ordered a set

Retired 2009 E90 328i xDrive | M Sport | BMW Performance Grille, Intake, Exhaust, BBK | AA Stg 2 | 3 Stage Manifold | Bilstein Sport | Eibach Pro | OEM CF Spoiler | CF Lip | Alufelgen SF-71
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
congrats, mine is still running strong. but my buddy's 3000k set is giving him some problems and we bought it at the same time. His car throws fog light bulb errors from time to time and one of his HID fogs flickers and wont turn on sometimes.
      08-03-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
toicy4ya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

Any errors? Did you have to code your car?

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
gaifaun
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
nope. no errors with mine, no flickering. still strong after a year. Although I code, no coding has been done to the fog lights.
      08-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #15
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
Nicely done. Looking at getting a set soon that matches my OSS AE. Good write up!
      08-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
ray_futbol
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
Any errors? Did you have to code your car?
I get fog light errors when its -20 degrees celcius or colder, but they still work
good cheap mod!

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #17
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaifaun
nope. no errors with mine, no flickering. still strong after a year. Although I code, no coding has been done to the fog lights.
Is there another link to the kit you bought?
Appreciate 0