E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B4 (sport susp) for coupe vs sedan

05-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Bilstein B4 (sport susp) for coupe vs sedan

I am getting a set of these dampers, to replace my blown/leaking front struts, and I am confused by the fact that there are different part numbers for the coupes vs sedans. I was under the impression that the sport suspension was the same across the board, and I am just trying to determine which one is going to work best for me on a very small drop (eibach pro kit). I'm only interested in Bilstein B4. Anyone know why the two dampers would be different?

Thanks!
      05-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
singhr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
I am getting a set of these dampers, to replace my blown/leaking front struts, and I am confused by the fact that there are different part numbers for the coupes vs sedans. [snip] I'm only interested in Bilstein B4. Anyone know why the two dampers would be different?

Thanks!
No much help but - I am running into similar part number issues for the rear B4 shocks on 328i LCI as well. Bilstein says same part for coupe and sedan. Bavauto says no - spoke with cust reps for both of them and did not get a clear answer. I'm not sure which one to order either. I was told by Bilstein that one part is a bit stiffer and shorter compressed length - (19-13021) 15.89" vs (19-136592) 16.5".
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
cahme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i Sport MT

I'm a bit anal about things, so I wrote up comparisons between the Sport part #s for the Bilstein B4's in Excel. I've attached a jpeg of the Excel (excel isn't too easy to put in here).

I grabbed part numbers for:
OEM '11 - looking for differences between e90,e92,e93; from realoem
Bilstein B4 '11, '09 - looking for differences between n55/n54; should have done pre-LCI and LCI. Got these from Bilstein catalog, FCP Euro, & ECS

The green is to indicate which part #s are the same across e90/e92/e93

FYI, I have an '11 E90 and went with the Bilstein/FCP numbers and it feels fine ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep

I ended up ordering the sedan version, we will see how it goes
      05-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep

I take the back, the sedan part number was out of stock, I switched to the coupe part number because I need these asap, so I will measure them vs the oem sport struts, and report back. interesting the the part number is the same for coupes and sedans for 11, but not 9. I'm going to also measure the stop tab, to spring seat height, as I've heard reports of these raising the front of the car. I wouldn't mind a few mm, but if it's half an inch that would look goofy

Last edited by YoungBlood; 05-25-2017 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep

Coupe struts are the exact same size, uncompressed, compressed etc as my oem sachs sport struts. The ride is great, not too firm, not too soft, unless you want coilover performance, I'd say these are a great oem replacement, and great for a mild drop. They're very slightly under damped for my Tein springs, but for 90% of bumps and turns, they're awesome, and keep the bounce in check
      06-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
tdavis42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
I called Turner Motorsports and my sales guy said the B6 (HD) are the replacement's for my 2008 328i with ZSP option. When I look up my vin the vin decoder says MSport suspension. I would believe the guys at Turner any day of the week over research on the web. If you are unsure just call any reputable parts supplier specializing in BMW parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep

well, these literally ride 95% the same as my stock sport suspension, were the exact same size etc, and are listed by Bilstein and about 8 other websites as being the replacement for sport suspension. I'd trust Bilsteins catalog over a 3rd part vendor. B6 are an upgrade technically, so definately won't hurt to get them, but B4 is all you need if you just want OEM specs
      06-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
well, these literally ride 95% the same as my stock sport suspension, were the exact same size etc, and are listed by Bilstein and about 8 other websites as being the replacement for sport suspension. I'd trust Bilsteins catalog over a 3rd part vendor. B6 are an upgrade technically, so definately won't hurt to get them, but B4 is all you need if you just want OEM specs
B6 might be closer to the m-sport package suspension than a B4 sport. The B4 sport would be an exact match to the "sport" suspension.

Either or, both are good/ great shocks & struts for a 328.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis42 View Post
I called Turner Motorsports and my sales guy said the B6 (HD) are the replacement's for my 2008 328i with ZSP option. When I look up my vin the vin decoder says MSport suspension. I would believe the guys at Turner any day of the week over research on the web. If you are unsure just call any reputable parts supplier specializing in BMW parts.
That's a whole different argument; in this situation you're trying to choose between B6 and B8; both considered an "upgrade" from stock, where the only difference is the shaft length...the B4 model is in a completely separate "budget friendly" league and not really relevant in your case.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:29 PM   #11
MysticRob
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Garage List
Youngblood, and anyone else with input on these specific struts/shocks, I'm curious if you got the Bilstein B4 Sports units installed, and what you think. I'm in need of replacements at all 4 corners of my E90 sedan, and figured I'd get the 22-135032, 22-135049, and 19-135052 units to replace my beat-to-death OEMs.

Curious also what input you have on noises or sounds during road impacts, etc. My OEMs are constantly sounding like high pressure air being let out of tires anytime I hit the smallest bumps like road reflectors, etc, and it's so annoying I can't drive with the windows down.
      09-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob View Post
Youngblood, and anyone else with input on these specific struts/shocks, I'm curious if you got the Bilstein B4 Sports units installed, and what you think. I'm in need of replacements at all 4 corners of my E90 sedan, and figured I'd get the 22-135032, 22-135049, and 19-135052 units to replace my beat-to-death OEMs.

Curious also what input you have on noises or sounds during road impacts, etc. My OEMs are constantly sounding like high pressure air being let out of tires anytime I hit the smallest bumps like road reflectors, etc, and it's so annoying I can't drive with the windows down.
I think the air sound is due to design of the strut/shock. I had Koni adjustable struts/shocks on an e36 and could hear the pssst sound when hitting bumps if I was near a wall, on a quiet street but going slow, had radio off, etc.. it never bothered me but was definitely there.

On my 335xi I have Bilstein B6 and don't hear any hiss/pssst type sound with these at all.

Perhaps others will let you know if they hear the sound on B4s..

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #13
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep

My B4's got
Rid of that sound, my blown struts sounded like that though
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #14
MysticRob
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
I think the air sound is due to design of the strut/shock. I had Koni adjustable struts/shocks on an e36 and could hear the pssst sound when hitting bumps if I was near a wall, on a quiet street but going slow, had radio off, etc.. it never bothered me but was definitely there.

On my 335xi I have Bilstein B6 and don't hear any hiss/pssst type sound with these at all.

Quote:
My B4's got
Yeah, I've read so often the hissing sound is normal for OEM BMW struts, but it's the only car I've ever owned out of dozens that ever sounded this bad, even on simple road imperfections, road reflectors, etc. It handles well, doesn't bounce incessantly like a blown strut/shock at any corner, and I've opened the hood and yanked up and down on the fender to test residual bounce, but the cars settles well and shows no sign of either strut being blown, no leaks, nothing bent or jacked up, just too damn noisy on both fronts. I like to drive with the windows down on nice days and I can't stand the sound.

Figure if the B4 resolves it then I'll buy them. Great price point too.
      09-28-2017, 11:10 PM   #15
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
My B4's got
Yeah, I've read so often the hissing sound is normal for OEM BMW struts, but it's the only car I've ever owned out of dozens that ever sounded this bad, even on simple road imperfections, road reflectors, etc. It handles well, doesn't bounce incessantly like a blown strut/shock at any corner, and I've opened the hood and yanked up and down on the fender to test residual bounce, but the cars settles well and shows no sign of either strut being blown, no leaks, nothing bent or jacked up, just too damn noisy on both fronts. I like to drive with the windows down on nice days and I can't stand the sound.

Figure if the B4 resolves it then I'll buy them. Great price point too.
If you're doing the front struts, you may want to consider the strut mounts as well. If I recall correctly, BMW may refer to them as "strut bearings." When you separate struts and springs, your either reusing those mounts or replacing. They're a bugger to get to otherwise, so you'd be saving effort -cash- down the road if you do it now.

In my case, one was absolutely shot, while the other appeared to have life left in it.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #16
MysticRob
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you're doing the front struts, you may want to consider the strut mounts as well. If I recall correctly, BMW may refer to them as "strut bearings." When you separate struts and springs, your either reusing those mounts or replacing. They're a bugger to get to otherwise, so you'd be saving effort -cash- down the road if you do it now.

In my case, one was absolutely shot, while the other appeared to have life left in it.
Yeah, I'm looking into the individual parts and/or mount kits from FCP, etc, just in case. I need to get up under there again (been a few months) and see what condition everything is in. I'm also curious just how old the struts are under the car now. Chassis has 136k but it was mostly highway near the Sacramento area, and all the suspension bushings were in excellent shape when I had it on the rack prior to purchase with 134k on it.

I have this post saved as a favorite to come back to also:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...97&postcount=3
      09-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #17
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I'm looking into the individual parts and/or mount kits from FCP, etc, just in case. I need to get up under there again (been a few months) and see what condition everything is in. I'm also curious just how old the struts are under the car now. Chassis has 136k but it was mostly highway near the Sacramento area, and all the suspension bushings were in excellent shape when I had it on the rack prior to purchase with 134k on it.

I have this post saved as a favorite to come back to also:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...97&postcount=3
Great detail in the post. Given CA environment - and a little luck - your list may not be as comprehensive as those of us in the rust belt!!

If doing rear mounts, you may check out the thread on "upgraded" and/or "Monroe". Many sing their praises. I opted for Dinan, which is the same concept, but more expensive

I've been happy with the result and immediately notice less of a second bounce after rail road tracks/bigger bumps.

I understand Monroe provides the same benefit.. goodluxk!

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #18
MysticRob
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great detail in the post. Given CA environment - and a little luck - your list may not be as comprehensive as those of us in the rust belt!!

If doing rear mounts, you may check out the thread on "upgraded" and/or "Monroe". Many sing their praises. I opted for Dinan, which is the same concept, but more expensive

I've been happy with the result and immediately notice less of a second bounce after rail road tracks/bigger bumps.

Yeah, I'm doubting I have any metallic bit and pieces worn out at any corner, especially when the car apparently spent its time driving CA farm land. Nuts, bolts, cups, etc, should be in good shape, though I'll verify before I tear into everything.

I'm guessing you meant this thread about the Monroe 907984 upper shock mounting kit:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145344
      09-29-2017, 05:08 PM   #19
YoungBlood
LongDongSilver
Rep

I have those and subframe inserts installed, both were well worth the combined $70
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #20
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I'm doubting I have any metallic bit and pieces worn out at any corner, especially when the car apparently spent its time driving CA farm land. Nuts, bolts, cups, etc, should be in good shape, though I'll verify before I tear into everything.

I'm guessing you meant this thread about the Monroe 907984 upper shock mounting kit:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145344
Yes; that's the thread!

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #21
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
B6s are STIFF. Don't be fooled.
Stiffer than OEM sport suspension on my LCI 328i sedan.
Suspension is loud and jarring in NYC/NJ area, but the roads are terrible.
They give you tremendous control and roadfeel, but it's NOT a comfy suspension. Would do just fine on a track.

FYI: stock sport springs, stock staggered 17" sport wheels with Michelin A/S 3s.

People ought to know!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #22
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire007 View Post
B6s are STIFF. Don't be fooled.
Stiffer than OEM sport suspension on my LCI 328i sedan.
Suspension is loud and jarring in NYC/NJ area, but the roads are terrible.
They give you tremendous control and roadfeel, but it's NOT a comfy suspension. Would do just fine on a track.

FYI: stock sport springs, stock staggered 17" sport wheels with Michelin A/S 3s.

People ought to know!
Yeah, there is a small industry around softening and custom halving these. Great base platform, but they are not 'comfy'. Good PSA
Appreciate 0