E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Steering rack leaking

02-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
Kurt-06-325i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Steering rack leaking

Hi, my 06 325i is leaking power steering fluid. The friver's side boot on the steering rack is full of fluid and dripping from the tie rod.
My question is, "is there a kit available for this or must the rack be replaced? I repaired my E30 rack years ago and this seems reasonable but Pelican does nor offer kits. Are they available elsewhere and is this a good fix?"

Thanks,

Kurt
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:42 AM   #2
eleniki
Alderran`s lost princess
Rep
Drives: A bit old BMW

I`ve actually changed the hoses and it stopped.
      03-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt-06-325i View Post
Hi, my 06 325i is leaking power steering fluid. The friver's side boot on the steering rack is full of fluid and dripping from the tie rod.
My question is, "is there a kit available for this or must the rack be replaced? I repaired my E30 rack years ago and this seems reasonable but Pelican does nor offer kits. Are they available elsewhere and is this a good fix?"

Thanks,

Kurt
My rack is leaking too. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but from what I've read, changing the inner tie rods will NOT fix this. The solution is a replacement rack. The internal PS seals are shot allowing fluid to leak past the inner tie rod and into the axle boot. A rebuild kit is apparently not worth the trouble.

I poked a hole in the boot and drained the fluid out. Then I spun the boot around so fluid doesn't leak out onto my undertray. I only loose fluid from the high line to the low line every 6months or so (not major). So, I am not too concerned with replacing the rack just yet. It's been fine like this for a while now. Look into swapping in an M3 rack that's what I will be doing once I have the extra cash...
Appreciate 0