E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Requesting Your Help Diagnosing Location of Oil Leak

09-02-2018, 05:11 AM   #1
dude04
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Requesting Your Help Diagnosing Location of Oil Leak

hi all, thanks for stopping by.

i was changing my serpentine belt and tensioners and noticed my belly pan was quite wet with oil. then i noticed the bottom of the front of the motor was also wet as well as the steering rack, sway bar and bottom of the power steering pump.

at first i thought this must be coming from the front seal, but after taking off the harmonic balancer and inspecting the front seal i think it is NOT from there. now i'm a bit stumped. i've owned an N54 before (this particular motor is an N55) and so i know of the common places like oil filter housing and vanos solenoids but it's not them; it's something lower.

with the power steering pump being as wet as it is i thought maybe it's internal to the pump but the fluid does NOT smell like PS fluid. then i thought maybe it's the transmission cooler lines; where the rubber is crimped to the metal right in front of the balancer but i *think* the transmission fluid is red? and what is leaking is not red, just looks and smells like engine oil. btw this is a DCT car.

my current best guess is oil pan gasket. but i'm not too confident. love to know your thoughts?

pics with captions here:
View post on imgur.com

videos give a really good sense of things:

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The original auto transmission fluid in my '08 335i was not red, but amber/brown. Replaced with similar amber/brown fluid around 75,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Don't discount the possibility of it coming from your oil filter housing gasket, especially if you are on the original gasket from the factory. I had the same dilemma, with oil all over the lower part of my engine and no real sign of the OFHG leaking. Replaced the OFHG and cleaned the engine and no more oil staining. Oil from the OFHG gets everywhere on the bottom half of the block.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA66400 View Post
Don't discount the possibility of it coming from your oil filter housing gasket, especially if you are on the original gasket from the factory. I had the same dilemma, with oil all over the lower part of my engine and no real sign of the OFHG leaking. Replaced the OFHG and cleaned the engine and no more oil staining. Oil from the OFHG gets everywhere on the bottom half of the block.
This was my guess as well.
Appreciate 0