E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 2009 E92 335i xDrive Brake question!

08-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
spabs
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i xDrive

2009 E92 335i xDrive Brake question!

Looking for aftermarket (or BMW Performance) brakes, mostly for a cosmetic upgrade, but I definitely wouldn't mind an increase in braking power, of course. The issue is every time I see brakes I'd like, there's a nice little "excluding xi models" tag in the note lines. I'm seeing this so often it's becoming a taunt. Does anyone know of any brakes (cosmetically, I'd like red calipers) that I could throw on my beast? Additionally, can anyone give a rather simple (I'm still quite new to this whole modding thing and I'm probably trying to learn too much at once) explanation as to why the xi/xDrive models are so limited for their brake choices? I tried doing a search, and I've seen a few threads where people have put BMW Performance calipers on a 328xi and a 330xi, but not a 335 and I'm really iffy on the technical aspects of making that work and just how much risk is involved in doing so.

Thanks in advance!

(Apologies to those who saw this already posted in the wrong forum, that's the issue with having e90post open in 4 tabs and forget which tab is which forum section.)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by spabs View Post
Looking for aftermarket (or BMW Performance) brakes, mostly for a cosmetic upgrade, but I definitely wouldn't mind an increase in braking power, of course. The issue is every time I see brakes I'd like, there's a nice little "excluding xi models" tag in the note lines. I'm seeing this so often it's becoming a taunt. Does anyone know of any brakes (cosmetically, I'd like red calipers) that I could throw on my beast? Additionally, can anyone give a rather simple (I'm still quite new to this whole modding thing and I'm probably trying to learn too much at once) explanation as to why the xi/xDrive models are so limited for their brake choices? I tried doing a search, and I've seen a few threads where people have put BMW Performance calipers on a 328xi and a 330xi, but not a 335 and I'm really iffy on the technical aspects of making that work and just how much risk is involved in doing so.

Thanks in advance!

(Apologies to those who saw this already posted in the wrong forum, that's the issue with having e90post open in 4 tabs and forget which tab is which forum section.)

Have a look at these:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=racing+brake
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I'd look at the StopTech kit (355mm). Front and back setup with calpers, rotors, pads, lines and brackets are ~$4600. They are direct fit with an xi.

If aesthetics are part of your decision, then that's probably the best bet to have fronts and rears match, and have a name brand on them.. The HP solution is just fronts, but obviously at a great price. Maybe you can paint your rears to make them match better.

M

Last edited by AWD Addict; 08-14-2012 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: typo on Stoptech
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
spabs
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i xDrive

This is the 2nd time someone's mentioned just painting them. First person mentioned powder coating though. I guess powder coating handles better under heat/pressure? Are there shops that do powder coating and/or painting as well as the disassembly of the brake required to actually take it off and paint it? (Though I guess that's more a SoCal related question).

Also, the StopTech website only seems to have brakes available for the front axle on the 335xi.

Last edited by spabs; 08-14-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I was quoted pricing for both F&R for the xi, from two venders.
Appreciate 0