E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Diesel Fuel Additives?

04-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #111
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Take this with however many grains of salt you like, but here's my anecdotal rendition of the case for diesel fuel lube. It is based solely on AUDITORY data. I also own a couple of Dodge Diesel pickups - a 91.5 and an 07 with the Cummins 5.9. The 91.5 is a rotary VE and the '07 is commonrail with the same or very similar CP3 injection pump found on the 335D. These things are naturally noisy, engine clatter galore everywhere all the time. It's normal. The rule of thumb on strange noise diag is just keep driving it. If something breaks, fix it. If you think you hear something awry, just keep driving it and wait to see what happens. I decided to try the stuff one day about 12 years ago after hearing about some issues surrounding ULSD. I added it with the engine running after a tip from a guy on a truck forum. As I stood there screwing the fuel cap back on to the 91.5 I was astonished to HEAR the injectors go down about 10dB noise level. The whole engine literally seemed to just quiet down as soon as it was circulating within a minute after adding the stuff to the fuel tank. That's all I ever needed to know about it.

Last edited by Nadir Point; 04-17-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #112
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Did you want any feedback on this or just making a statement? Interesting to know.

PL
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #113
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

I was only sharing some post-extrapolation human-generated scientifically non-actualized sensory data. I just switched back to Chrome (new 66) after using Firefox for awhile, so e90post did not see it's cookie. That's the only reason I saw your post.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #114
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

I have used many additives in the past, and will probably in the future, but I'm not sold that they are necessary. I loved how Stanadyne made my Tdi run, and I measured a power gain when running a few others, but I also realize that diesel fuel can vary in btu's of thermal energy/gallon by 5% or more. And then there's cetane, which some engines benefit more from than others. Too many darn variables.

Base fuel quality (viscosity, energy density, lubricity, cetane, winter fuel versus summer fuel)
Fuel blenders's additive package (lubricity, oxidative stability)
Your additive (energy density, lubricity, cetane modification, your dosing rate, your mixing strategy)
Your observations and interpretations (feel, sounds other senses)

I will continue to experiment with them in small doses when the fancy strikes me, but I realize any effect, positive or negative, is just improbable to reliably, validly observe, especially fuel economy. IMO, it would take a highly controlled dyno test to suss out. Club gtg in Phoenix anyone?

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #115
3wis3m3n
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
I have used many additives in the past, and will probably in the future, but I'm not sold that they are necessary. I loved how Stanadyne made my Tdi run, and I measured a power gain when running a few others, but I also realize that diesel fuel can vary in btu's of thermal energy/gallon by 5% or more. And then there's cetane, which some engines benefit more from than others. Too many darn variables.

Base fuel quality (viscosity, energy density, lubricity, cetane, winter fuel versus summer fuel)
Fuel blenders's additive package (lubricity, oxidative stability)
Your additive (energy density, lubricity, cetane modification, your dosing rate, your mixing strategy)
Your observations and interpretations (feel, sounds other senses)

I will continue to experiment with them in small doses when the fancy strikes me, but I realize any effect, positive or negative, is just improbable to reliably, validly observe, especially fuel economy. IMO, it would take a highly controlled dyno test to suss out. Club gtg in Phoenix anyone?

tbh, monitoring your fuel pump and fuel filter & injectors & using the cleanest diesel fuel available in your area should be priority for our diesels. i think making additives as a priority could easily back fire if you don't pay attention to the other things that i've just mentioned.
you could have the best additives available in the world with 100 cetane ratings or what not, but if your fuel pump or injectors are already congested or failing, you then have to worry about more than just $10 bucks additive.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #116
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wis3m3n View Post
..but if your fuel pump or injectors are already congested or failing, you then have to worry about more than just $10 bucks additive.
Using fuel adds to prevent premature pump and injector wear might not have been a bad idea, in this case.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #117
3wis3m3n
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
Using fuel adds to prevent premature pump and injector wear might not have been a bad idea, in this case.
I think the devil is whispering in your ears now..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #118
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
Take this with however many grains of salt you like, but here's my anecdotal rendition of the case for diesel fuel lube. It is based solely on AUDITORY data. I also own a couple of Dodge Diesel pickups - a 91.5 and an 07 with the Cummins 5.9. The 91.5 is a rotary VE and the '07 is commonrail with the same or very similar CP3 injection pump found on the 335D. These things are naturally noisy, engine clatter galore everywhere all the time. It's normal. The rule of thumb on strange noise diag is just keep driving it. If something breaks, fix it. If you think you hear something awry, just keep driving it and wait to see what happens. I decided to try the stuff one day about 12 years ago after hearing about some issues surrounding ULSD. I added it with the engine running after a tip from a guy on a truck forum. As I stood there screwing the fuel cap back on to the 91.5 I was astonished to HEAR the injectors go down about 10dB noise level. The whole engine literally seemed to just quiet down as soon as it was circulating within a minute after adding the stuff to the fuel tank. That's all I ever needed to know about it.
come on 10dB? what are you driving? a tank? mind you my neighbor owns dodge diesel and those things are loud, guess old technology keeps them cheep to buy , but just so you know, if you add additives to your tank you need to drive to mix it up plus between fuel tank and injectors there is few liters of old fuel so you will not notice anything different till you burn what is in the lines so not within a minute or so from adding it to your tank
On the other note, I do add treatments but only every 10 fuel fill up in warm weather and every 5th winter time as my region gets pretty cold and I only do it cause they do have some cleaning agents
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #119
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
come on 10dB? what are you driving? a tank?
Maybe my ear-o-meter needs adjustment. Like I said: Take it with how ever many grains of salt you like. Something about pearls before swine comes to mind for cliche purposes now, as well.

My 335D is at 125k miles, with only CBU and emissions fails now a distant memory. Good luck with yours!

Last edited by Nadir Point; 04-21-2018 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #120
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Maybe the engine note changed when the fuel cap was opened while idling, after the fillup, or the ambient noise changed from inside to outside the car??

I agree, too early for the additive to work in two minutes.

The aftermarket additives with metal chemistry scare me for the long run as they often are designed to adhere to the fuel injectors to displace the deposits. Adhering to the intake walls isn't mentioned in their advertising.

PL
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 04:35 AM   #121
alan308
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Garage List
Anyone using Dipetane fuel additive? https://www.dipetane.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #122
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan308 View Post
Anyone using Dipetane fuel additive? https://www.dipetane.com/
MSDS: http://dipetanenortheast.com/documen...ane%20MSDS.pdf

Distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
100% petroleum-based mineral oil

Not much on the scientific literature circuit to hang your hat on, no comparisons with current branded diesel, but, its basically modified diesel.

So go at it, if it floats your boat..

PL
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:30 AM   #123
turbotel
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw E91 330d

diesel fuel additives

I have used Redex diesel fuel additive here in the uk in addition to running Shell V power diesel.
This seems to have improved a dribbling injector which caused white smoke
when hot on tickover.
The car was previously used for short low speed runs around town which obviously did not help matters.
Several long distance fast runs combined with the additive seems to have improved this issue.
Here are my selective mass adjustments any comments welcome.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #124
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotel View Post
I have used Redex diesel fuel additive here in the uk in addition to running Shell V power diesel.
This seems to have improved a dribbling injector which caused white smoke
when hot on tickover.
The car was previously used for short low speed runs around town which obviously did not help matters.
Several long distance fast runs combined with the additive seems to have improved this issue.
Here are my selective mass adjustments any comments welcome.
This may be the correct way to use an aftermarket additive: when there is a problem that may be fuel related as in clogged injectors. Unfortunately it would have been more scientific to at least first try "Several long distance fast runs" first without the additive to see if that helps with this anecdote. Many of us believe that is what a diesel stuck in short low speed trips really needs.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 03:39 PM   #125
blackcloud08
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328D M SPORT/2011 VW TDI

Hot Shot's Secret, Amsoil, Archoil.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 05:42 AM   #126
JoeB1 Diesel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanTheBruce View Post
Does anyone here use fuel additives on every fill up?

I currently use LiquiMoly diesel purge every oil change. When I replace my fuel filter I fill it with the diesel purge and prime the system then throw the rest in the tank.

I've heard a lot of talk from diesel truck owners I know who swear by Diesel Kleen every tank of fuel. I'm having a hard time finding any real data on how these products perform or if theyre just snake oil.
Yep, everyday diesel treatment, when I change the engine oil I use 1.5 bottles of of AT-205 in the oil as well as LiquiMoly DPF protector. No leaks, fuel injectors are running excellent and no DPF issues last oil change the system showed over 75k more miles before DPF cleaning needed and I have 150k on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 08:36 PM   #127
kpm
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335d Monaco Blue

Garage List
1985 325e BMW  [0.00]
2009 328i  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Having read over the years many thoughts, opinions on fuel additives and treatments, as the original owner of a 2009 335d with 232,000 kms, I would to share my long term experience. I have added 2 bottles of Diesel Kleen, once over several fill ups around 180k and the second over several fill ups around 215k, both for no particular reason. The car still has original fuel injectors and original fuel pumps. Have experienced no fuel management issues of any sort nor seen or any noticeable improvements in fuel
economy when used.
Appreciate 1
POBEP361.00