E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Filled up with gas

02-28-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Filled up with gas

Local dealership has a diesel (X5d - m57) for sale that was filled with gas and run like that. Apparently car has been sitting with some gas in it for a while now.

Car starts, but runs very poorly. Dealership said that high pressure fuel pump is bad. I don't know what other damage is there.

What else could be wrong with it? Would it be worth buying it?

Injectors, pumps, fuel lines?

Would gas cause engine damage? I don't care too much for emission components.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Fuel pump and injectors will likely have to be replaced. If detonation occured (gasoline is dramatically more explosive than diesel fuel), there may be internal engine damage.

I wouldn't even consider it until the dealer drains the fuel, flushes the lines and replaces the pump and injectors, on their dime. Then you can see how it runs.

Appreciate 1
W37V1104.50
      02-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Local dealership has a diesel (X5d - m57) for sale that was filled with gas and run like that. Apparently car has been sitting with some gas in it for a while now.

Car starts, but runs very poorly. Dealership said that high pressure fuel pump is bad. I don't know what other damage is there.

What else could be wrong with it? Would it be worth buying it?

Injectors, pumps, fuel lines?

Would gas cause engine damage? I don't care too much for emission components.
The damage is all caused by small shavings from the HPFP scattered throughout the fuel system - rail, injectors, pressure relief valve, return line, etc. There have been a half dozen miss-fuelings covered by threads in the diesel subforums - it costs about $10,000 to replace everything that needs to be replaced (by a dealer).

Do not buy it.
Appreciate 2
W37V1104.50
robnitro160.00
      02-28-2019, 10:08 PM   #4
ki_soarer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Where at? I would buy it for $500. As stated, everything needs to be replaced to make sure all of the metal shavings are out.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

i don't see why the lines and stuff cant be cleaned out..

drop the tank and wash it out
pull a small cloth through the fuel lines
replace the hpfp and lpfp and filter.
      03-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The damage is all caused by small shavings from the HPFP scattered throughout the fuel system - rail, injectors, pressure relief valve, return line, etc. There have been a half dozen miss-fuelings covered by threads in the diesel subforums - it costs about $10,000 to replace everything that needs to be replaced (by a dealer).

Do not buy it.
I searched the forum for these mishaps, and I only found two threads where subject was about putting gas in diesel. On both instances, insurance totaled the car cuz it was easier. Nothing was really addressed as what was damage or what needed to replaced - other than generic - everything fuel related.

If it is not too much to ask, can you maybe point me in the right direction - which keywords to use etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #7
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

"IF" (big if) it has good compression (not run out on the highway with the piston tops burned off), It just needs the fuel system taken apart, flushed/cleaned, then both pumps and injectors replaced. I've heard of dealers replacing everything including the tank, lines and rail, but is just a time-saver/money-maker/catch-all type thing for them, as opposed to attempting to flush/clean the non-moving parts.

There is a risk of immediately re-damaging the pump/injectors with any residue that may remain as Floyd mentioned above, so be sure to clean it REAL good if you go that route. I'd also recommend replacing the filter (again!) after the first couple hours run time and have a look inside, just for peace of mind - OR an indication it might need replaced again real soon.

Last edited by Nadir Point; 03-01-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

You will need injectors and pump, maybe nothing at all. I know few people that did this mistake but it wasn't on bmw. One of my family friends daughter made this mistake and her father drained the tank and filled it back up and car running good to this day.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #9
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
You will need injectors and pump, maybe nothing at all.
The only way it doesn't need anything (hardware-wise) is if it was filled and never started. How much it needs after that depends on how long/hard it was run before it was either shut down or grenaded something.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

How much are they selling it for?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
The only way it doesn't need anything (hardware-wise) is if it was filled and never started. How much it needs after that depends on how long/hard it was run before it was either shut down or grenaded something.
More likely how long it was driven, if it was driven a bit and the car started acting, and you pulled over, you might be lucky.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #12
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
More likely how long it was driven, if it was driven a bit and the car started acting, and you pulled over, you might be lucky.
Uh, wrong again, skippy. The CP3 and injectors begin disintegration immediately upon contact with water or gasoline-contaminated fuel. It's just a question of how long or how far it goes after that. I'm sure you'll see a few that survive for one reason or another due to the low concentration or a quick shutdown after somebody realized what they did. But that would be the exception, not the rule.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #13
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
How much are they selling it for?
Too much. Purchase is no longer an option.

car was marked for wholesale. they were willing to sell it, but they wanted full retail on it - 17k. I told them to hell no and offered 8k. they felt insulted and will be selling it wholesale. there is no way they can get that much for non running x5, but then again they might. body is in amazing shape and it's really nicely optioned.

It's really clean '12 with 87k miles. Black on black with sport package (Y wheels) etc. I was willing to go up to 12k, but they wouldn't negotiate at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Too much. Purchase is no longer an option.

car was marked for wholesale. they were willing to sell it, but they wanted full retail on it - 17k. I told them to hell no and offered 8k. they felt insulted and will be selling it wholesale. there is no way they can get that much for non running x5, but then again they might. body is in amazing shape and it's really nicely optioned.

It's really clean '12 with 87k miles. Black on black with sport package (Y wheels) etc. I was willing to go up to 12k, but they wouldn't negotiate at all.
17K! For a car that doesn't run and possibly have catastrophic damage lmao. Yeah no that's crazy price.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #15
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

I wonder what wholesale would be, they are either idiots or think they can get more at an auction where buying is more impulsive.

I wonder if they paid full trade in price for it, just to make a sale/lease on a new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #16
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

I found out after I purchased my X5d that it was filled with gas by the previous owner (unsure of the concentrations) and ran until it wouldn't start anymore. The BMW service record said they just drained the tank and lines, nothing was replaced.

It has been running a JR 2.8 tune for 30k kms with no fueling or rail pressure issues so depending on the conditions, it clearly doesn't instantly grenade the engine / fuel pump.

Every situation is different obviously but just wanted to share my experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #17
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Cp3 is pretty durable and even though the injectors are piezo, the element itself is not exposed.
Also, running a diesel on gas will act like advanced timing but I'd think unless you're going wot, it's not anywhere near the dangerous cylinder pressures that could bend rods etc.. If anything gas has less energy density, so less overall energy if metering goes by volume.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #18
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

I see we got some lucky ones around here!

The best-case scenarios always come out. You never hear much about the rest, until it's time to blow a few grand on the car's fuel system.

What Gasoline Does to a Diesel Engine.
"In the worst-case scenario, it might be cheaper to just replace the engine and components."
In terms of water contamination, the story is even bleaker. I won't attempt to impress anyone here with electron microscope images of hydro-induced cavitation damage to internal pump and injector surfaces and the accompanying literature.

Suffice it to say, a few MOLECULES of water can do some interesting things at the right temperature, pressure and location.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #19
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
I wonder what wholesale would be, they are either idiots or think they can get more at an auction where buying is more impulsive.

I wonder if they paid full trade in price for it, just to make a sale/lease on a new car.
Wholesale on a non-running heap? $4,500 max.

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #20
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Uh, wrong again, skippy. The CP3 and injectors begin disintegration immediately upon contact with water or gasoline-contaminated fuel. It's just a question of how long or how far it goes after that. I'm sure you'll see a few that survive for one reason or another due to the low concentration or a quick shutdown after somebody realized what they did. But that would be the exception, not the rule.
I see your posts, and more of less can see your input on most things- despite agree/disagree- but some times you post just aburds things that make me question if you are really smart or really stupid.

Nothing -NOTHING- immediately disintegrates, upon contact with water/fuel. Yes things not designed for it could have non desired results but stilll

Plus running a D on gas means there is still D in the system. they will not run on gas alone.

Not saying it is good for it but not the end of the world.

Yes they are fancy engines, but end of the day a diesel engine is just an mechanism to turn fuel to rotational energy- flush that shit out and run it
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #21
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan82 View Post
Nothing -NOTHING- immediately disintegrates, upon contact with water/fuel.
It does when the "contact" involves microscopic deformation between plungers and barrels in a pump, and when heat combined with over-pressure at the injector tip creates tiny steam-generated explosions sending sub-micron-sized bits of debris through the nozzle, leaving a soon-to-be leaky injector behind.

That's all just a VERY brief summary of some well-know failure analysis studies.

But hey, I'm just really stupid.

Have a nice day, week, year, whatever!

And oh BTW - welcome to my ignore list!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #22
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
It does when the "contact" involves microscopic deformation between plungers and barrels in a pump, and when heat combined with over-pressure at the injector tip creates tiny steam-generated explosions sending sub-micron-sized bits of debris through the nozzle, leaving a soon-to-be leaky injector behind.

That's all just a VERY brief summary of some well-know failure analysis studies.

But hey, I'm just really stupid.

Have a nice day, week, year, whatever!

And oh BTW - welcome to my ignore list!

Let me guess, next you will tell me that putting a wire brush to the tip of an injector ruins it. Or better yet don't take them apart.

I agree it is not GOOD for them, but to say immediate failure just tells me you know no real world, or grossly underestimate just how resistant some things are.

100% ideal def not, but to assume total loss is extreme.

But you won't read this bc I am lucky enough to have made your ignore list!
Appreciate 0