E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Filled up with gas

03-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #23
CMichael
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan82 View Post
I see your posts, and more of less can see your input on most things- despite agree/disagree- but some times you post just aburds things that make me question if you are really smart or really stupid.

Nothing -NOTHING- immediately disintegrates, upon contact with water/fuel. Yes things not designed for it could have non desired results but
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #24
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Water can cause corrosion. It also has no lubrication for the pump.
But what's worse about water is that at the tip of a hot injector before exiting it can flash into steam and break the nozzle. Then, you have a wide open nozzle pouring fuel.

But gasoline itself doesn't corrode the system, and it doesn't explode in the nozzle.

So water yes, but gasoline having water is just like diesel having water.

The wear in the pump from gasoline with less lubricity is an issue, but the cp3 is a more durable pump than the newer cp4 that vw uses and bmw uses after the e70/e90.

Maybe we can get better examples of what happens with gas in the tank from the cummins forums, as they had the cp3 too.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #25
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Water can cause corrosion. It also has no lubrication for the pump.
But what's worse about water is that at the tip of a hot injector before exiting it can flash into steam and break the nozzle. Then, you have a wide open nozzle pouring fuel.

But gasoline itself doesn't corrode the system, and it doesn't explode in the nozzle.

So water yes, but gasoline having water is just like diesel having water.

The wear in the pump from gasoline with less lubricity is an issue, but the cp3 is a more durable pump than the newer cp4 that vw uses and bmw uses after the e70/e90.

Maybe we can get better examples of what happens with gas in the tank from the cummins forums, as they had the cp3 too.
+1

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:44 AM   #26
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan82 View Post
But you won't read this bc I am lucky enough to have made your ignore list!

ignore Nadir i think just about everyone skips over what he says(or reads it for his ignorance like me). he is obviously over qualified for everything in life and nothing you say will be of any value to him or life.

only about 1% of the time his information is useful and the other 99% of everything else is trolling.
      03-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #27
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
Wholesale on a non-running heap? $4,500 max.
That's what I was thinking too, thus I thought my offer of 8k was fair.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #28
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
That's what I was thinking too, thus I thought my offer of 8k was fair.
IMO your offer was extremely fair. The seller is a dick. I don't like dealing with people that can't just make a logical case-by-case fair dealing. Sounds like this dealer is concerned with their 'brand' and doesn't want to get known as bottom-barrel dealer. Lot's of them use this default logic--it's how they justify screwing average buyers on average cars into paying above average prices.

If most used car dealerships simply dealt honestly and fairly, they wouldn't have to 'protect their brand pricing'. I got lucky with the purchase of my 335d. The dealer was the honest & fair dealing type.

Good luck. Hope you stumble into a good one.

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #29
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

like the person on the facebook group wanting $10k for an X5 that needs a new motor lolololol...
      03-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #30
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
I searched the forum for these mishaps, and I only found two threads where subject was about putting gas in diesel. On both instances, insurance totaled the car cuz it was easier. Nothing was really addressed as what was damage or what needed to replaced - other than generic - everything fuel related.

If it is not too much to ask, can you maybe point me in the right direction - which keywords to use etc.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1479542

Above is an example where I helped Whitbread drain a mess of water/gas/diesel slurry from his vehicle, and he was able to continue on his vacation. But the mess wasn't in his rig for very long.

Last I knew he was still using the same HPFP/injectors, but its been quite awhile since I last talked to him.
      03-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #31
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post
ignore Nadir i think just about everyone skips over what he says(or reads it for his ignorance like me). he is obviously over qualified for everything in life and nothing you say will be of any value to him or life.

only about 1% of the time his information is useful and the other 99% of everything else is trolling.
Yeah, I have noticed that over the years. Funny thing is there are times he is 'technically right- yet totally wrong' Application is a hell of a thing. I engineer and build high tolerance machines for a living. Sometimes 0.0001" is an issue, sometimes it only has to be 0.010" the key is knowing when to apply which.

I have worked on and built enough cars to know that sometimes they are engineered a certain way- yet that is not always the best way. Sometimes (most) it is the cheapest, others it is to meet some random standard. Just because it was done one way, does not mean it HAS to be that way.

In this case I am not going to argue that gas is GOOD for a Diesel engine, but for the right price i would buy one that had been run that way. Then again I have bought heavy equipment with disassembled engines bc the price was right- knowing I could rebuild them (despite being told it would never work)
Appreciate 1
335stoner220.00
      03-06-2019, 03:22 AM   #32
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
I searched the forum for these mishaps, and I only found two threads where subject was about putting gas in diesel. On both instances, insurance totaled the car cuz it was easier. Nothing was really addressed as what was damage or what needed to replaced - other than generic - everything fuel related.

If it is not too much to ask, can you maybe point me in the right direction - which keywords to use etc.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1201025
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #33
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I read that OP's post, and boy, do I agree. Owning a diesel passenger car is a bit inherently risky in the US of A. I have personally gotten two bad tanks of fuel (in my Tdi). One tank had so much plastic debris in it, it clogged up my in-tank sender unit. Easy fix but PITA. The other tank was CLEARLY contaminated with gasoline. It's waaaay too easy for fuel delivery drivers to mis-fill the underground tanks. There are practically NO controls--or at least no engineered controls. One delivery driver screwup can cost YOU thousands of $$.

I think the fuel distributors are hugely negligent and derelict of duty. Pisses me off that there's no accountability there. They need to poke-yoka the fuel filling and transferring processes. In every other engineering discipline, you'd be fired for doing that cowboy shit. Get that shit on lock down!

Appreciate 0