E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Brake Pad Recommendations for Stock Brakes

11-25-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
E30M CW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335Xi

Brake Pad Recommendations for Stock Brakes

Hi All,

I'm prepping a e90 330i for use on track and was hoping to get the thoughts of some members who've tracked their car more frequently about the correct track brake pads.

Is braking performance better if the compound for the front and rear brake pads are the same? Alternatively, since the brakes are completely stock and it still has the stock pressure limiting valve for the rear brakes, is it better to use a more aggressive compound for the rear brakes than the front brakes as a way of increasing the proportion of braking being performed by the rear brakes?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 08:13 PM   #2
FROSTBURN2020
Rep
Drives: E90 325i N53

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M CW View Post
Hi All,

I'm prepping a e90 330i for use on track and was hoping to get the thoughts of some members who've tracked their car more frequently about the correct track brake pads.

Is braking performance better if the compound for the front and rear brake pads are the same? Alternatively, since the brakes are completely stock and it still has the stock pressure limiting valve for the rear brakes, is it better to use a more aggressive compound for the rear brakes than the front brakes as a way of increasing the proportion of braking being performed by the rear brakes?
The golden mperformance brake will solve your problem. 335i brake will also be an perfect alternative.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:49 PM   #3
E30M CW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335Xi

Thanks for your comment. My car already has the mperformance brakes. I'm trying to understand how to match the brake pads front to rear to optimize braking performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #4
charlie_m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328ix

Quote:
I can't speak to pad compounds or mixing F&R, but I've read there are a number of BMW 'nannies', nominally designed to keep you safe, that actually suck on the track. Some are related to braking. Maybe you know about them already, there are a number of threads:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216639

Someone will chime in with details (like at what driver experience level the nannies should be addressed). I was certainly surprised to learn of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
edycol
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Ferodo DS2500, EBC YellowStuff, HAWK HPS+ are street/track pads. I would go these if you don't want to change pads once you are done.
If you looking specific track pads look Pagid RSL, PFC, HAWK DTC.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Thanks for your comment. My car already has the mperformance brakes. I'm trying to understand how to match the brake pads front to rear to optimize braking performance.
My thoughts are if you are using stock braking hardware then use matched compound fr/rr.

If you are not on stock hardware (calipers and rotor sizes) then you might want to start playing with different compounds to even out what you changed.

Based on what you have stated I would use matching pad compounds. I’m not an expert by any means. And definitely code out the nannies they will all be far to aggressive intruding when you have track brake pad compounds and fluid.
Appreciate 0