E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Help! Problems with eBay aero lip!

05-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #45
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I've never mixed plasti dip colors before! Guess I have some learning to do if I can't get the lip painted then.
This will help you tremendously.

http://youtu.be/EHfe0Ksrd3E
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #46
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSNGH
Quote:
I've never mixed plasti dip colors before! Guess I have some learning to do if I can't get the lip painted then.
This will help you tremendously.

http://youtu.be/EHfe0Ksrd3E
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #47
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #48
PTRAN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MW M3 ZCP

I decided to order the JGMODS rep aero lip. I hope the fitment is decent.
      05-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #49
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRAN
I decided to order the JGMODS rep aero lip. I hope the fitment is decent.
Good luck! I just contacted them for a price for springs and couldn't believe how expensive they were. So I guess I'm still not buying from them this time either.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #50
staplescenter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

I messaged one of the ebay sellers that will let me do local cash pick up for 70 bucks and asked him about painting it and he said he never had a complaint and to check his feedbacks ands sold items.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #51
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplescenter
I messaged one of the ebay sellers that will let me do local cash pick up for 70 bucks and asked him about painting it and he said he never had a complaint and to check his feedbacks ands sold items.
Weird. But great for you!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #52
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Thanks. What can I say, except I'm cheap! I bought my spoiler from eBay and it was awesome! I was hoping for the best.
That's not a bad thing IMO. Just try to get a seller next time someone on the forum's dealt with and knows their product. My aftermarket / non OEM lip was painted no problem years ago, and the paint has held up great.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #53
cialz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplescenter View Post
Gota link?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #54
cialz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i 07

Get a pic of the fillement and ask for refund?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #55
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Hey guys. I recently bought the aero lip from BaysonR Motorsports from eBay for $70 incl shipping to the US (I'm in Canada). Well, upon first receiving it, it didn't fit by about an inch. It wouldn't wrap around. However I didn't let it sit in the sun as recommended. I left the lip in the US and had it bake it in the sun before having it taken to a body shop in the US to paint it (half the price compared to Canada).

Well, now the body shop says the paint is not sticking to the polyurethane as it's too waxy and they won't do it.

So I'm stuck with a lip that may not fit and is not painted AND it's far from my home! Hahahaha!!

Ok, so I assume others have had these cheap eBay lips painted no problem, right??? And it should fit, right??? Ugh. Yes, I'm being cheap but I hope this can still work somehow. Advice please!!!

I actually had the exact same problem with fitment. Its a bit short on both sides by about half an inch. Luckily my lip didn't have the edge flanges so I am still able to mount it. It's really far from perfect but for $40+100 (paint) it was an ok deal. I actually used a heat gun and bent the lip so that it fits better. How I mounted it was use a shit ton of 3m tape all around and 4 screws underneath to hold it up.

When I brought my lip to a body shop they said that because its PU, they have to do some special prep work because PU is more flexible and is also more porous. In addition they said they have to use a special primer for PU material so that the paint adheres better.
When I got my lip I noticed that the inside, which is not painted, had the primer peeling off. No big deal since its on the inside where its hidden when mounted. The painted outside is nice. Paint has not peeled off since and no bubbling.

If I could do it again, I would definitely get a OEM one or one from a reputable source for direct fitment. It wasnt worth the hours I spent modifying the lip to be able to even mount it. If you want to keep your lip, talk to different paint shops and see what they can do.
      05-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #56
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
I actually had the exact same problem with fitment. Its a bit short on both sides by about half an inch. Luckily my lip didn't have the edge flanges so I am still able to mount it. It's really far from perfect but for $40+100 (paint) it was an ok deal. I actually used a heat gun and bent the lip so that it fits better. How I mounted it was use a shit ton of 3m tape all around and 4 screws underneath to hold it up.

When I brought my lip to a body shop they said that because its PU, they have to do some special prep work because PU is more flexible and is also more porous. In addition they said they have to use a special primer for PU material so that the paint adheres better.
When I got my lip I noticed that the inside, which is not painted, had the primer peeling off. No big deal since its on the inside where its hidden when mounted. The painted outside is nice. Paint has not peeled off since and no bubbling.

If I could do it again, I would definitely get a OEM one or one from a reputable source for direct fitment. It wasnt worth the hours I spent modifying the lip to be able to even mount it. If you want to keep your lip, talk to different paint shops and see what they can do.
Cool, thanks for all the info!

Last edited by bimmette; 05-23-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #57
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cialz View Post
Get a pic of the fillement and ask for refund?
I did send a pic to the seller right away and he told me I had to install it professionally according to their instructions (remove bumper). So I haven't pushed the issue yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #58
smoOve
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i e93

Bayson R is usually pretty good with stuff. That's weird. I use a product called bulldog first.. It helps with the paint sticking to it
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #59
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoOve
Bayson R is usually pretty good with stuff. That's weird. I use a product called bulldog first.. It helps with the paint sticking to it
Hmm ok, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:09 AM   #60
staplescenter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Any update on this? The seller on ebay I'm looking at buying has around 27 sold and no negative comments. For 70 bucks shipped, i can take the risk but if it'll cost too much money to paint, I'll just go with msport bumper or just leave the lip as it is, matte black to match my cars theme.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #61
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplescenter
Any update on this? The seller on ebay I'm looking at buying has around 27 sold and no negative comments. For 70 bucks shipped, i can take the risk but if it'll cost too much money to paint, I'll just go with msport bumper or just leave the lip as it is, matte black to match my cars theme.
So I just got it back from the first shop who wouldn't paint it. It's now just been dropped off at another shop. They will inspect and see if they will be able to get paint to stick. The fitment was still not good by about an inch but I'm just really hoping that once I take a heat gun to it, I will be able to force it on. Of course, now I'm taking the chance of ruining the paint job with the heat gun. Ugh. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:49 AM   #62
staplescenter
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So I just got it back from the first shop who wouldn't paint it. It's now just been dropped off at another shop. They will inspect and see if they will be able to get paint to stick. The fitment was still not good by about an inch but I'm just really hoping that once I take a heat gun to it, I will be able to force it on. Of course, now I'm taking the chance of ruining the paint job with the heat gun. Ugh. Will keep you posted.
Hope it turns out fine! GL! And pls keep us posted and with pics pls. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #63
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
I would take it back from the shop and make sure you can fit it properly before you spend the money painting it. I would recommend doing a full install of it - actually bolt it on underneath and apply heat as necessary (though letting it warm up on a driveway during a bright sunny day should be enough). Little gaps here and there will be okay since for the final install you'll be using 3M tape to hold it on, but anything more and I would worry.
      05-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #64
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Quote:
I would take it back from the shop and make sure you can fit it properly before you spend the money painting it. I would recommend doing a full install of it - actually bolt it on underneath and apply heat as necessary (though letting it warm up on a driveway during a bright sunny day should be enough). Little gaps here and there will be okay since for the final install you'll be using 3M tape to hold it on, but anything more and I would worry.
Hmmm ok thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #65
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
The bumper does NOT need to be removed to install the lip. Whoever told you that is a moron. I installed mine (OEM) in 10 min whilst the car was in the garage. Extremely simple job. The "professional install" excuse is complete BS.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #66
gerbilunit
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 e93

interested as this seller on ebay has been well regarded on a few threads that i found as well.
Appreciate 0