E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e93 rear window not fully closing after regulator change?

11-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i e93

Question e93 rear window not fully closing after regulator change?

Hi All,

One of the cables snapped on my rear window (2007 e93 330i), so I picked up another regulator off of eBay and put it in. All seemed okay but when I put the window up it doesn't close fully?

Tried the reset procedure in this thread but it makes no difference? It does seem llike the window goes to the end of its travel. Is it possible teh regulator isthe wrong one? Or any ideas on why it wont close fully?

Many thanks.

upload
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Broken regulator is a common problem. I repalced mine with Uro brand for about $30 USD. Did the reset procedure and everything was working again. Uneventful really.

I did tape the widnow glass in the fully closed position before installing the motor, did not know if that made a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Throw the car in the trash and start over lol jk. I have to replace mine too so I'm dreading this. I hope you figure it out

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 06:08 AM   #4
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo24 View Post
Throw the car in the trash and start over lol jk. I have to replace mine too so I'm dreading this. I hope you figure it out
That's about where I am now. If I could lift it to throw it...

There is some movement on the two mounting bolts of the regulator and i've tried loosening them and the lower bolt, hoping it would be free to push itself into line, but no luck.

I've also tried pulling it forwards by hand and there is enough play to get it to almost sit where it needs to, but it wont do it by the motor alone. Even if I leave the roof down so it hits no resistance, it will not close fully???

Rain stopped play yesterday but th's weekend i'll lift the regulator out and see if i can reposition the glass itself?

It really is beyond frustrating. The regulator is a 2nd hand one but a genuine BMW part and in good condition.

When you do your one you may find this video a help if you've not done one before. Hopefully you wont have the issue I am!!

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep

Boing! In case anyone has any idea but missed this post...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Besides installation, maybe double check on the part numbers as you suspected.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #7
mxchris727
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 M5, '06 325i, '12 M3

I've attached the TIS instructions. Have you followed all of the steps and checked the gap tolerances?
      12-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #8
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
Besides installation, maybe double check on the part numbers as you suspected.
I was going to remove it this weekend to check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
I've attached the TIS instructions. Have you followed all of the steps and checked the gap tolerances?
No I've been blindly moving it every which way I can but it was all guess work. Those PDFs are going to be super helpful and just the information I wanted. Thanks so much for posting them! Hopefully i'll get it sorted this weekend now! I'll report back...

Would you be okay with me uploading those PDFs to the BMW e92/3 facebook page as there are a couple of other guys on there with misaligned windows?

Last edited by Taipan; 12-03-2019 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Have you try to reinitialized the window with INPA?

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 04:19 AM   #10
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Have you try to reinitialized the window with INPA?
No. This is my first BMW and I'm not even sure what INPA is, lol. I tried a few initialising sequences using different button pushes, but to no avail. I think it is an alignment issue as it moves freely and reach the full length of its travel etc, but its just stopping short of where it needs to be. If I can loosen soem bolts and slide it forwards it should be okay, but ill check all the measurements etc.

Thanks for the reply, i'll google inpa and get soem info on it...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:14 AM   #11
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep

Fixed it! �� The adjustment instructions specify you need a BMW special tool. Okay that may make it easier, but there is a simple way to do it. In short, the main adjustment is actually in the glass position. You simply slacken the two 8mm bolts and shift it around until you get the right position. A bit fiddly as you have to lift the regulator in and out each time, but far from being the end of the world. You obviously have to remove the three mounting bolts (2 x top, 1 x lower) and best to mark the upper twos position, so you can see where the regulator will be fixed and your glass adjustment will be made based on that. I've probably made it sound a lot more complicated than it is.

Adjusting bolts

Gap closed and window perfectly aligned.

Appreciate 2
      10-17-2023, 06:21 PM   #12
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Fixed it! �� The adjustment instructions specify you need a BMW special tool. Okay that may make it easier, but there is a simple way to do it. In short, the main adjustment is actually in the glass position. You simply slacken the two 8mm bolts and shift it around until you get the right position. A bit fiddly as you have to lift the regulator in and out each time, but far from being the end of the world. You obviously have to remove the three mounting bolts (2 x top, 1 x lower) and best to mark the upper twos position, so you can see where the regulator will be fixed and your glass adjustment will be made based on that. I've probably made it sound a lot more complicated than it is.

Adjusting bolts

Gap closed and window perfectly aligned.

Found this thread via google search. Wanted to say thank you for the tip about adjusting the window without the special tool.I sincerely appreciate all the contributions to this thread as I watched the video and read the pdf's, it was all incredibly helpful.

I thought the regulator was busted so I bought a new one from BMW South Atlanta and had it shipped to Tampa. I installed it today only to discover that the window was still rolling up wonky. Hindsight I think the window tint folks we use jacked up the window alignment but at least I know the car has a solid/new regulator now.

You all are a credit to this community and the BMW community as a whole.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 04:05 AM   #13
Taipan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Found this thread via google search. Wanted to say thank you for the tip about adjusting the window without the special tool.I sincerely appreciate all the contributions to this thread as I watched the video and read the pdf's, it was all incredibly helpful.

I thought the regulator was busted so I bought a new one from BMW South Atlanta and had it shipped to Tampa. I installed it today only to discover that the window was still rolling up wonky. Hindsight I think the window tint folks we use jacked up the window alignment but at least I know the car has a solid/new regulator now.

You all are a credit to this community and the BMW community as a whole.
Glad it helped you out. I know how frustrating it was when I didn't know what to do. Gotta love the internet when it comes to everyday solutions for people!
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2023, 08:18 AM   #14
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Glad it helped you out. I know how frustrating it was when I didn't know what to do. Gotta love the internet when it comes to everyday solutions for people!
That thing had been giving us beef for a few months. I may attempt to buy the special tool just in case this should happen again.l, just to save a little time but your method worked like a boss and I got it right on the first attempt 🎉

I know that was a bit more luck that skill but I do have a knack for spatial orientation tasks. Maybe credit for that goes to Tetris
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0