E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is there a way to verify T stat position?

02-01-2019, 05:54 AM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Is there a way to verify T stat position?

With ISTA or INPA can I verify is the thermostat is closed or open? I had a t stat shadow code that I cleared so I can't do a action plan on it in ISTA (Well I think unless theres another way?). So I'm wondering what is the second easiest way to verify if it's open or closed while the car is driving or idling.

Also, idling the car is fine once it's warmed up a bit right? It's only on the cold start that it not recommended? I'm trying to test my thermostat most things point to a bad one but I'm not getting codes except the shadow code I got about 400km ago "2EF4 map thermostat mechanism"

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 02-01-2019 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
With ISTA or INPA can I verify is the thermostat is closed or open? I'm trying to test my thermostat most things point to a bad one but I'm not getting codes except the shadow code I got about 400km ago "2EF4 map thermostat mechanism"
Please define the term "shadow code" as used in your post. Do you mean a code that is saved in DME memory but is NOT currently present? 2EF4 IS a BMW FC, and is defined in Bentley:
P0128 | 2EF4 | Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

Short answer is: I would simply save screens related to the Code Definition(s) and any applicable Freeze Frame Data, Clear the Code(s), and see if they recur, and under what engine & ambient conditions.

There is NO Functional Description of the KFK that I have been able to find, either in TIS or Bentley, so the following is intended to invite anyone who actually KNOWS how the KFK is supposed to work to educate the rest of us.

So 2EF4 is the same as the generic P-code P0128 which may occur in ANY vehicle with a totally-mechanical thermostat. The algorithm sets that code IF, after x minutes of engine operation (with other defined inputs) the ECTS signal does NOT provide a temperature greater or equal to the "Thermostat Regulating Temperature." It often means your thermostat is stuck open and you may have to replace it to keep the SES light from coming on and preventing you from passing emissions inspection. It may ALSO cause other codes related to post-cat O2 sensors if your engine consistently runs too cool. Of course, extremely cold ambient temps may contribute to that code appearing.

If you have an N55, your Thermostat control circuit is different from that for the N52 & N54. I don't know if that means the N55 thermostat works differently or not. Since there is NOT a lot of reliable information out there about how the "Map Thermostat" is supposed to work, I will tell you my concept, and invite anyone with "Reliable Information" to confirm that or offer alternate concepts.

Here is the Thermostat control circuit for N54 & N52 engines:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ooling/vRilOSj

As you can see, there is ignition-switched 12V+ (Terminal 87) to the Thermostat, and the DME simply applies variable ground to the other thermostat wire via the White wire from Pin #19 of Connector X60007 at the DME.

My understanding is that variable current flow through the Thermostat is used to apply varying amount of heat to the wax bulb of the mechanical thermostat, to make it open sooner than it would simply from coolant temperature (without added electrical resistance heat).

My understanding of the rationale for that system is that a hot engine is more emission-friendly or efficient, while a cool engine produces more power while using more fuel, and this is an attempt to allow the engine to run hotter in normal cruising, but allow for more opening of the thermostat when MORE load causes more heat generation. If the electrical "heater" system is disconnected or fails, the thermostat still works like any mechanical thermostat, although it may have a higher "unheated" opening temp. Of course, the mechanical thermostat may fail "OPEN," in which case the engine never attains "Thermostat Regulating Temp."

So, based upon that concept from the electrical diagram, there is NO provision for "feedback" from the thermostat, such as from a "feedback potentiometer" to indicate the position of the thermostat: open, closed, or somewhere between. You CAN see such an indication of "position" of the A/C flaps using INPA, but those flaps have "feedback potentiometers" whose signals are read by the IHKA module.

INPA DOES show KFK (Thermostat) "Status" in "Percentage" bar graph readout. That is found in F6, Activations (Steuern), F1, F6 KFK. I'll attach a ScreenPrint of the KFK Activation screen to the next post. My best SWAG is that the "percentage" value in that screen is simply an electrically-varied voltage to the "heater" in the thermostat based upon the variable ground supplied by the DME. As you will see from the attached screen from my 328xi N52KP, the thermostat "%" was 17% at idle when the ECTS signal-based temp computed by the DME was 90.8C

I have never "dissected" a KFK, so can't say for sure there is no variable resistor whose position (and therefore resistance) is related to mechanical thermostat postion. If anyone has any "inside information" on that issue, please enlighten us. I note that the circuit diagram shows the same "variable resistor" symbol on the KFK that it shows on the ECTS. Whether the resistance is varied by the DME, or internally by the KFK is NOT clear.

Considered Responses Welcomed,
George
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

INPA KFK Activation Screen
DME | F6 | F1 | F6 (328xi N52KP, MSV80)
Engine @ normal operating Temp, at Idle
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Please define the term "shadow code" as used in your post. Do you mean a code that is saved in DME memory but is NOT currently present? 2EF4 IS a BMW FC, and is defined in Bentley:
P0128 | 2EF4 | Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

Short answer is: I would simply save screens related to the Code Definition(s) and any applicable Freeze Frame Data, Clear the Code(s), and see if they recur, and under what engine & ambient conditions.

There is NO Functional Description of the KFK that I have been able to find, either in TIS or Bentley, so the following is intended to invite anyone who actually KNOWS how the KFK is supposed to work to educate the rest of us.

So 2EF4 is the same as the generic P-code P0128 which may occur in ANY vehicle with a totally-mechanical thermostat. The algorithm sets that code IF, after x minutes of engine operation (with other defined inputs) the ECTS signal does NOT provide a temperature greater or equal to the "Thermostat Regulating Temperature." It often means your thermostat is stuck open and you may have to replace it to keep the SES light from coming on and preventing you from passing emissions inspection. It may ALSO cause other codes related to post-cat O2 sensors if your engine consistently runs too cool. Of course, extremely cold ambient temps may contribute to that code appearing.

If you have an N55, your Thermostat control circuit is different from that for the N52 & N54. I don't know if that means the N55 thermostat works differently or not. Since there is NOT a lot of reliable information out there about how the "Map Thermostat" is supposed to work, I will tell you my concept, and invite anyone with "Reliable Information" to confirm that or offer alternate concepts.

Here is the Thermostat control circuit for N54 & N52 engines:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ooling/vRilOSj

As you can see, there is ignition-switched 12V+ (Terminal 87) to the Thermostat, and the DME simply applies variable ground to the other thermostat wire via the White wire from Pin #19 of Connector X60007 at the DME.

My understanding is that variable current flow through the Thermostat is used to apply varying amount of heat to the wax bulb of the mechanical thermostat, to make it open sooner than it would simply from coolant temperature (without added electrical resistance heat).

My understanding of the rationale for that system is that a hot engine is more emission-friendly or efficient, while a cool engine produces more power while using more fuel, and this is an attempt to allow the engine to run hotter in normal cruising, but allow for more opening of the thermostat when MORE load causes more heat generation. If the electrical "heater" system is disconnected or fails, the thermostat still works like any mechanical thermostat, although it may have a higher "unheated" opening temp. Of course, the mechanical thermostat may fail "OPEN," in which case the engine never attains "Thermostat Regulating Temp."

So, based upon that concept from the electrical diagram, there is NO provision for "feedback" from the thermostat, such as from a "feedback potentiometer" to indicate the position of the thermostat: open, closed, or somewhere between. You CAN see such an indication of "position" of the A/C flaps using INPA, but those flaps have "feedback potentiometers" whose signals are read by the IHKA module.

INPA DOES show KFK (Thermostat) "Status" in "Percentage" bar graph readout. That is found in F6, Activations (Steuern), F1, F6 KFK. I'll attach a ScreenPrint of the KFK Activation screen to the next post. My best SWAG is that the "percentage" value in that screen is simply an electrically-varied voltage to the "heater" in the thermostat based upon the variable ground supplied by the DME. As you will see from the attached screen from my 328xi N52KP, the thermostat "%" was 17% at idle when the ECTS signal-based temp computed by the DME was 90.8C

I have never "dissected" a KFK, so can't say for sure there is no variable resistor whose position (and therefore resistance) is related to mechanical thermostat postion. If anyone has any "inside information" on that issue, please enlighten us. I note that the circuit diagram shows the same "variable resistor" symbol on the KFK that it shows on the ECTS. Whether the resistance is varied by the DME, or internally by the KFK is NOT clear.

Considered Responses Welcomed,
George
Affirmative, that code was present about 400 KM ago, since then I cleared all my code so I should have checked it further. For context I also have this post. For additional context I've just test the car again. My car was finally hot driving in town speeds after a while, hit 70c coolant and 75c oil. Went on the highway and turned off my cabin heat for fun. Oil somewhat stayed around there but coolant still went down BUT very slowly and iddled aty 50c. When I did turn on the heater it went even lower.

I have checked codes after every drive and no thermostat related code come back. There is a a 2D5A Monitoring engine torque that is there but I think that's because I am on MHD Stage 0.

Also note I've never gotten any actual check engine or service engine soon light come up on the dash.

Ok yeah I have a N54 engine.

Alright well thanks I suppose I'll take a look. To be honnest I think it's a open thermostat but at the same time I'm scared it's not and I'll replace it and same exact behavior... oh well. I already ordered it anyways.

I'll dig into INPA and ISTA again to see if I can get more data about this.

If a car can only hit operating temp on idle it must clearly mean the t stat is open right? When I was idling back home both my radiator hoses were hot so.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...If a car can only hit operating temp on idle it must clearly mean the t stat is open right? When I was idling back home both my radiator hoses were hot so.
To get heat transfer, you need to have air going through the radiator, which means sitting still, you need your radiator fan to operate.

Even IF the thermostat is stuck open, if the car is standing still, and the radiator fan is NOT operating, then the radiator is simply acting the same as the bypass hose, and it is NOT transferring heat (except by minimal convection).

So if the thermostat is stuck open, the ONLY way you can regulate heat transfer is by the amount of air going through the radiator. Using INPA, you can select "E-Fan" in DME | F6, Activations (Steuern) | F1 | F2, E-fan (E-Lufter), and control radiator fan speed while watching the ECTS signal computed Temp. In that way, you can basically confirm that the thermostat is open by running Radiator Fan at 50% or 90%, and watch coolant temp drop below "Thermostat Regulating Temp." You can't shut off your Fan entirely with INPA, as 15% is the slowest speed you can select as an "over-ride" of the DME control speed.

George
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To get heat transfer, you need to have air going through the radiator, which means sitting still, you need your radiator fan to operate.

Even IF the thermostat is stuck open, if the car is standing still, and the radiator fan is NOT operating, then the radiator is simply acting the same as the bypass hose, and it is NOT transferring heat (except by minimal convection).

So if the thermostat is stuck open, the ONLY way you can regulate heat transfer is by the amount of air going through the radiator. Using INPA, you can select "E-Fan" in DME | F6, Activations (Steuern) | F1 | F2, E-fan (E-Lufter), and control radiator fan speed while watching the ECTS signal computed Temp. In that way, you can basically confirm that the thermostat is open by running Radiator Fan at 50% or 90%, and watch coolant temp drop below "Thermostat Regulating Temp." You can't shut off your Fan entirely with INPA, as 15% is the slowest speed you can select as an "over-ride" of the DME control speed.

George
Okay here's an update! I drove the car about 30 mins then let it idle in a parking lot a bit.

I used ISTA since my INPA is a bit glitchy I think. I wasn't able to locate any thermostat relating things but was able to locate the radiator fan trigger.

So coolant at head sensor was about 88c. Trigger the radiator fan. Then coolant start the lower at head after about 5secs by about 8 to 10 degrees.

After digging in ISTA some more I was able to locate the temp sensor for head + radiator outlet. Just iddling my head sensor is about ~ 88c and the radiator outlet is about 10 degrees lower at 77c.

So the radiator fan would indicate coolant is flowing through the rad for sure if then when it reaches the head temp it's much lower right.

And that the coolant exiting from the rad at idle is 10 degrees lower that would also indicate the thermostat is open?

What do you think? I might dig some more in ISTA since my thermostat only comes in about a week and half but in this cold my laptop battery only lasts like 10 mins lol.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 02-02-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...After digging in ISTA some more I was able to locate the temp sensor for head + radiator outlet. Just iddling my head sensor is about ~ 88c and the radiator outlet is about 10 degrees lower at 77c. So the radiator fan would indicate coolant is flowing through the rad for sure if then when it reaches the head temp it's much lower right. And that the coolant exiting from the rad at idle is 10 degrees lower that would also indicate the thermostat is open?

What do you think? I might dig some more in ISTA since my thermostat only comes in about a week and half but in this cold my laptop battery only lasts like 10 mins lol. [I think it's time to order a new laptop battery ]
Several notes:

1) The ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) located at the OFH (Oil Filter Housing) measures the coolant temp as hot coolant is leaving the head, going either to the top of the radiator (if the thermostat is open) or to the coolant pump side of the themostat via the "Bypass hose" or smaller hose from the OFH, down across the front of the engine to the themostat.

2) You can read ECTS signal on your instrument cluster, as computed to a temperature reading, same as what you see on a scan tool, by using Hidden Menu 7.00:
http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

3) Monitoring your ECTS signal computed temperature as you drive, in cold weather, should be a very good indication of whether the thermostat is closing or not. If temp rises to ~ 90C when stopped for several minutes, and falls to ~ 70C or less when moving >40 MPH, then air flow through the radiator is the cause of the change, and the thermostat is NOT closing sufficiently. That appears to be your case.

4) Many E9x vehicles do NOT have a "Radiator Outlet Temp Sensor." My 2007 328xi N52KP does NOT have such as sensor, and apparently that is true for all N52KP engined-vehicles sold in US, at least built after 3/1/2007. TIS "Cooling System" circuit diagram for my vehicle shows such a sensor in the electrical circuit, even though none is present. Earlier N52 engined-vehicles DID have such a sensor.

However, even though I have NO temp sensor on/at the lower radiator hose, INPA faithfully provides that Parameter at EXACTLY 7.5C LESS than the ECTS temp (apparently a calculated value "= ECTS - 7.5" ;-). Anytime I have monitored BOTH ECTS & Rad.Outlet Temp using INPA, it is EXACTLY that same difference: 7.5C, whether the engine is cold, warm, or anything in between.

5) I can't say whether your 2011 335is has a sensor at the lower radiator hose or NOT. I simply suggest that ANYONE tempted to rely on INPA/ISTA readout of that sensor should first check to make sure there is in fact such a sensor there (between the radiator lower outlet & the Thermostat).

George
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Several notes:

1) The ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) located at the OFH (Oil Filter Housing) measures the coolant temp as hot coolant is leaving the head, going either to the top of the radiator (if the thermostat is open) or to the coolant pump side of the themostat via the "Bypass hose" or smaller hose from the OFH, down across the front of the engine to the themostat.

2) You can read ECTS signal on your instrument cluster, as computed to a temperature reading, same as what you see on a scan tool, by using Hidden Menu 7.00:
http://e90.wikifoundry.com/page/BC+hidden+menus

3) Monitoring your ECTS signal computed temperature as you drive, in cold weather, should be a very good indication of whether the thermostat is closing or not. If temp rises to ~ 90C when stopped for several minutes, and falls to ~ 70C or less when moving >40 MPH, then air flow through the radiator is the cause of the change, and the thermostat is NOT closing sufficiently. That appears to be your case.

4) Many E9x vehicles do NOT have a "Radiator Outlet Temp Sensor." My 2007 328xi N52KP does NOT have such as sensor, and apparently that is true for all N52KP engined-vehicles sold in US, at least built after 3/1/2007. TIS "Cooling System" circuit diagram for my vehicle shows such a sensor in the electrical circuit, even though none is present. Earlier N52 engined-vehicles DID have such a sensor.

However, even though I have NO temp sensor on/at the lower radiator hose, INPA faithfully provides that Parameter at EXACTLY 7.5C LESS than the ECTS temp (apparently a calculated value "= ECTS - 7.5" ;-). Anytime I have monitored BOTH ECTS & Rad.Outlet Temp using INPA, it is EXACTLY that same difference: 7.5C, whether the engine is cold, warm, or anything in between.

5) I can't say whether your 2011 335is has a sensor at the lower radiator hose or NOT. I simply suggest that ANYONE tempted to rely on INPA/ISTA readout of that sensor should first check to make sure there is in fact such a sensor there (between the radiator lower outlet & the Thermostat).

George
Haha yeah a new battery is in order... actually a new laptop would be nice.

To answer your reply.

Aye, I was using the hidden menu sensor for the most time to monitor my temps without having to connect MHD.

That's exactly what happened. I idle until coolant is 80 to 85. Hop on the highway my coolant goes all the way down to 50! Cruising at 120km/h 6th gear @ ~ 2600 RPM

I believe you are right for that!! I googled radiator temp DIY and was able to see what it looks like. Took at peek at my outlet radiatoar hose and couldn't see any sensor or wire plug at all. And browsing parts for my car I can only find one coolant sensor.

The car's radiator lower hose when looking at parts aswell has no slot to fit a sensor not the radiator so I think that's true there isn't.

I can't recall if I had a .5 value to it's temp or not I'll check again tomorrow or later now that I'm getting used to ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
INPA KFK Activation Screen
DME | F6 | F1 | F6 (328xi N52KP, MSV80)
Engine @ normal operating Temp, at Idle
Hey George I got my INPA working. I'm still a big noob on INPA compared to ISTA and ISTA doesn't seem like I can get any reading like that from the T stat (ISTA tells you to monitor the coolant temp to see if issue with T stat) so I fired up INPA and went into F6 from the main menu after selecting my chasis functional jobs but then I'm lost this where I am. I think I'm in the wrong submenu? Thanks for the help

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I got my INPA working...so I fired up INPA and went into F6 from the main menu after selecting my chasis functional jobs but then I'm lost this where I am. I think I'm in the wrong submenu?
I presume you wanted to see Temp Data or try to control/Activate the Thermostat (KFK)? That's done after connecting to the DME, and I'll show you how to connect to the DME below, but first some general info on how to use & navigate INPA.

You were at the "Script Selection" "Listbox" after selecting E90, and you selected "Functional Jobs" in the Right-hand Listbox. Functional Jobs is a good place to look around when first using INPA, but F6 Activations (Steuern) WITHIN Functional Jobs is NOT where you want to be.

Think of your car as a network of ~ 20 different computers, and you need to connect to the computer (module) that controls the component you want to (1) test (F6, Activations/Steuern), (2) See Live Data or Parameters on (F5, Status), or (3) Read Fault Codes or Freeze Frame Data in (F4, Fault Memory/ Fehlerspeicher). However, BEFORE doing any of that, you should take some time to learn what's in "Functional Jobs."

Functional Jobs Overview:

Two rather essential uses of Functional Jobs:

1) Functional Jobs | F2, Identification: shows you a list of ALL Modules in your vehicle to which you can connect and perform the three types of functions described above.

2) Functional Jobs | F4, Fault Memory/Fehlerspeicher: quickly shows you the status of ALL Modules in your vehicle, as far as Fault Codes saved in Module Memory, and gives you the Fault Code numbers for any codes saved there. In Two minutes or less you can identify any modules that have Fault Codes, and then you can connect to any module you want to diagnose to see the Definition of any faults saved, get Freeze Frame Data or details about when (mileage) the fault occurred, conditions when saved.

So before moving on to where you wanted to go, take a few minutes to learn your way around Functional Jobs, save the screens described above (F2 & F4) so you have (F2) a record of ALL modules, their ADR (e.g 12 for DME) and SGBD (e.g. MSD80 for DME, and (F4) a record of any fault codes saved as of a particular date.

Connect to DME:

After selecting E90 in opening screen, you will see the Listboxes where you selected "Functional Jobs" -- DON'T do that.

1) Instead, scroll down/down arrow to "Engine" in Left Listbox, and
2) Press Tab which navigates to Right Listbox, where you
3) Scroll down/down arrow to the correct DME or Engine Control Module for your vehicle (remember the "SGBD" column in F2 of Functional Jobs?) which should be MSD80 for N54
4) Click that and you are now connected to the DME, and you should see the Module SGBD in the upper left corner of the screen (MSD80)

DME | F6, Activations | F1, Activations/Steuern 1 | F6, KFK (Thermostat), gets to the control screen for the thermostat on my 328xi with MSV80 DME -- your path may vary, just take the time to look at (and save) the menus. Warning, once you get past the Menus, you may have to translate German to English. I have found it pays to SAVE all screens that I want to be able to use, and use Google Translate to understand what I'm looking at:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

Please let us know of your questions, issues & successes so we can all learn something new.

George
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I presume you wanted to see Temp Data or try to control/Activate the Thermostat (KFK)? That's done after connecting to the DME, and I'll show you how to connect to the DME below, but first some general info on how to use & navigate INPA.

You were at the "Script Selection" "Listbox" after selecting E90, and you selected "Functional Jobs" in the Right-hand Listbox. Functional Jobs is a good place to look around when first using INPA, but F6 Activations (Steuern) WITHIN Functional Jobs is NOT where you want to be.

Think of your car as a network of ~ 20 different computers, and you need to connect to the computer (module) that controls the component you want to (1) test (F6, Activations/Steuern), (2) See Live Data or Parameters on (F5, Status), or (3) Read Fault Codes or Freeze Frame Data in (F4, Fault Memory/ Fehlerspeicher). However, BEFORE doing any of that, you should take some time to learn what's in "Functional Jobs."

Functional Jobs Overview:

Two rather essential uses of Functional Jobs:

1) Functional Jobs | F2, Identification: shows you a list of ALL Modules in your vehicle to which you can connect and perform the three types of functions described above.

2) Functional Jobs | F4, Fault Memory/Fehlerspeicher: quickly shows you the status of ALL Modules in your vehicle, as far as Fault Codes saved in Module Memory, and gives you the Fault Code numbers for any codes saved there. In Two minutes or less you can identify any modules that have Fault Codes, and then you can connect to any module you want to diagnose to see the Definition of any faults saved, get Freeze Frame Data or details about when (mileage) the fault occurred, conditions when saved.

So before moving on to where you wanted to go, take a few minutes to learn your way around Functional Jobs, save the screens described above (F2 & F4) so you have (F2) a record of ALL modules, their ADR (e.g 12 for DME) and SGBD (e.g. MSD80 for DME, and (F4) a record of any fault codes saved as of a particular date.

Connect to DME:

After selecting E90 in opening screen, you will see the Listboxes where you selected "Functional Jobs" -- DON'T do that.

1) Instead, scroll down/down arrow to "Engine" in Left Listbox, and
2) Press Tab which navigates to Right Listbox, where you
3) Scroll down/down arrow to the correct DME or Engine Control Module for your vehicle (remember the "SGBD" column in F2 of Functional Jobs?) which should be MSD80 for N54
4) Click that and you are now connected to the DME, and you should see the Module SGBD in the upper left corner of the screen (MSD80)

DME | F6, Activations | F1, Activations/Steuern 1 | F6, KFK (Thermostat), gets to the control screen for the thermostat on my 328xi with MSV80 DME -- your path may vary, just take the time to look at (and save) the menus. Warning, once you get past the Menus, you may have to translate German to English. I have found it pays to SAVE all screens that I want to be able to use, and use Google Translate to understand what I'm looking at:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

Please let us know of your questions, issues & successes so we can all learn something new.

George
Alright sorry for the delayed reply. Ended up getting a new laptop and had to reinstall everything. I also had to drive 30 mins to pick it up and now that finally gave me some codes and this morning a check engine light came on! Yess! For one time where I am actually happy to have a check engine light ahaha. The codes I get are 2EE6 DME:Coolant-temp sensor, measurement range and 2EF4 DME: Map thermostat, machnism.

I was on MHD Stage 0 before and I went back to my usual Stage 2 and then CEL came after driving, perhaps MHD Stage 0 screws up the error reporting or something? The 2EF4 code came back to times from it's data in ISTA, the other codes can be ignored I beleive those are just some winter glitch codes. I will clear them all out when my T stat is replaced.

Ahhhh okok I see. Thanks I was able to get into the termostat section. Starting to get the hang of INPA slowly... haha.

My thermostat value always stayed 0% the whole trip. Not sure if it should change on a N54.. probably.

Anyways with that CEL on, I believe we can say for sure my T stat it to be changed!!

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 02-04-2019 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Alright swapped out my T stat, cleared my codes and problem is resolved.

Coolant never goes under ~ 90c once it's warmed up. On the highway it also just keeps climbing until it hits around 97c.

Took me 7 hours but I probably saved like 400$.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #13
niksss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 535i

Quote:
Alright swapped out my T stat, cleared my codes and problem is resolved.

Coolant never goes under ~ 90c once it's warmed up. On the highway it also just keeps climbing until it hits around 97c.

Took me 7 hours but I probably saved like 400$.
Does it still say 0% in inpa ? I have simillar problem to yours, but I have changed the thermostat and the problem is still there.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksss View Post
Does it still say 0% in inpa ? I have simillar problem to yours, but I have changed the thermostat and the problem is still there.
Yep it never really moved so I guess it doesn't do anything for data.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 09:15 PM   #15
xavi718
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006-330xi

Looking for help, i am getting codes 2EF4 and 2D29 and every time i try to see how my thermostat is working i get this message
Attached Images

Appreciate 0