E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > New to me e91! got some issues (rear wheel, shaking idle, sunroof?)

05-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi wagon, dark green

New to me e91! got some issues (rear wheel, shaking idle, sunroof?)

so yeah, i got a 2008 e91 with 82,000 miles on it, and it was extremely well cared for its entire life

but of course, it has a few issues i'd like to have addressed before i bother with any modifications

here's a video of the engine, it looks pretty darn clean to me but can someone give it a once-over looking for any obvious problems?

and as for what i've noticed so far;
1) there is a "worlbing" sound coming out of the right rear wheel well at speeds above 30mph. its not a constant hum, it has a specific frequency (at 30mph it's like 5 times a second), and it gets faster the faster you go. It might just be the tires and i'll try swapping the rear right and left tires at some point soon to test that

2) the engine shakes the car notably at idle, and its sort of an irregular shaking instead of a constant rumble. i SUSPECT its the motor mounts because if you rev it beyond 2k rpm while parked, it goes away

3) the sunroof is unusually noisy at speed. with the shade closed its fine but with the shade open there's a good amount of road noise. it's probably using the old seal design which isnt very good, or it might be very slightly open an need a reset. i'll have to see how to check if it has the new or old seal design

4) (possibly normal operation), about 30 seconds after starting, the idle starts to drop but then hovers around 500rpm, it's not super even but the revs arent jumping, just sort of meandering around 500.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

also, any suggestions on what service i should perform in the next few thousand miles, or over the next few weekends? aside from fixing the above stuff. it got a full oil change as soon as i bought it so that's fine
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
joekitch
First Lieutenant
Rep

also, new discovery about the worbling noise;
the car has nokian WRG3 tires on, which are apparently pretty good all-seasons that are winter biased but have lackluster grip in summer.
however there have been reports of them often being poorly balanced and causing vibration because of this.....

Stock as stock can be (for now)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

The excessive wind noise with the shade open in my '07 E91 was recently cured by replacing the seal and repositioning the sunroof - dealer charged a tad under $500.

Tom
Appreciate 0