E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Advice for repairing rear side panel for E93

11-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
maximal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70,E83,E87,E90,E93

Advice for repairing rear side panel for E93

Could you please give me an advice. My rear side panel of my E93 is damaged. The insurane company wants to repair the panel with body filler but I am afraid that it will crack after some time because it is very large panel, and the car is convertible and there will be more tension to the panel which will cause the body filler to crack.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Convertible

The convertible top really shouldn't affect the the rear panel, it's not in direct contact with the roof mechanism. Just make sure you get it repaired at a BMW recommended/approved/authorized repair shop and it should hold up. A good shop will back it up with a warranty as well.

If you're no satisfied with that, then you can try to get them to replace the whole panel instead of just repairing it.

Edit: Or you can get it fixed and sell it to some other smuck (with full disclosure of course) and get yourself a new one!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

If properly done it won't crack
How big is the damaged area?
Body shops don't normally put bondo over large surface areas.
      11-05-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
maximal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70,E83,E87,E90,E93

I dont have a picture of the real damage at the moment, but here is an illustration:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My concern is thath the e93 body is not as tight as e90 or e92 and the chasis is more capable of twisting when you are driving on rough roads which are many in my country. And I think that this twisting can cause cracks.

I think the problem is that the BMW dealer cannot convince the insurance company to change the whole panel. And I am trying to gather information about pros and cons for repairing the panel or changing it.
Appreciate 0