E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Android auto and tune2air

10-11-2018, 02:50 AM   #1
burnerg81
Rep
Drives: 320i Exclusive Edition

Android auto and tune2air

Thought I'd share my media setup in the car. It works really well and is a cheap way to get voice actived Bluetooth. You probably need a phone with a good sized screen.

1) I've got a tune2air bt module plugged into the usb port in the arm rest
2) I've an android phone with the android auto app installed
3) the settings mean the app opens as soon as the phone is connected to the tune2air module
4) using voice commands I can open and navigate Amazon music (or other apps like Google music, Spotify, etc), the radio player app (or tuneinn radio), google maps (and probably Waze) and make calls
5) I can use steering wheel controls to change the volume, skip tracks and answer calls/hang up
6) I'm using an air vent dash mount so I can just clip the phone to the dash instantly with no faffing around. The air vent mount is also "raised" away from the dash so I can mount it centrally on top of the hazard lights meaning I can still operate the hazards if I need to

Can't think of any negatives and total cost was about £85 (might be more expensive now).

I'll post pics later.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnerg81 View Post
Thought I'd share my media setup in the car. It works really well and is a cheap way to get voice actived Bluetooth. You probably need a phone with a good sized screen.

1) I've got a tune2air bt module plugged into the usb port in the arm rest
2) I've an android phone with the android auto app installed
3) the settings mean the app opens as soon as the phone is connected to the tune2air module
4) using voice commands I can open and navigate Amazon music (or other apps like Google music, Spotify, etc), the radio player app (or tuneinn radio), google maps (and probably Waze) and make calls
5) I can use steering wheel controls to change the volume, skip tracks and answer calls/hang up
6) I'm using an air vent dash mount so I can just clip the phone to the dash instantly with no faffing around. The air vent mount is also "raised" away from the dash so I can mount it centrally on top of the hazard lights meaning I can still operate the hazards if I need to

Can't think of any negatives and total cost was about £85 (might be more expensive now).

I'll post pics later.

That's probably the setup I'd have went for if I didn't have Idrive. I don't like having the wasted space/screen
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
burnerg81
Rep

Update - I've now got a magnet that I can stick on the dash just above the hazard light button. That means I have full access to all air vents, hazards and door lock buttons .

I'll send pics shortly as well as an update on whether the phone stayed stuck to the dash....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
I just ordered this today. Thanks for sharing your results. I hadn't heard how well this worked with the base stereo, no Nav, No iDrive, etc.

What does the head unit display while playing Pandora, Spotify, etc.?
2016 435i MSport ZHP #85

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
burnerg81
Rep

I've got the base stereo.

With android, the car display just says "next".

For IPhones it shows the track and artist (or at least as much as can be shown on one line).

Oh, and the magnet has held ok. The phone stayed stuck to the dash.
Appreciate 0