E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Advice for paint correcting a white car

09-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #1
bmuum3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1998 M3/4 ---> 2010 E92 335i

Advice for paint correcting a white car

I have a white 335i coupe that I would like to have the painted corrected. I noticed that the paint has a ton of swirls and some minor scratches. Most people don’t notice them after I wash the car as the white hides everything well, but I can notice and that’s what I care about. The following is what I have to get started, but I was looking for advice on sealant/wax. Good beading would be awesome and long lasting as it’s my daily driver.

CG Citrus Wash with two buckets (1 with grit guard)
NanoSkin for clay barring
Polish with Meguiar's 105 with HF DA with? What pad?
Glaze with Meguiar's 205 with HF DA? What pad?
Sealant?
Wax?

Thanks for any advice
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Your paint correction process will be determined by your own testing. No 2 vehicles have the exact same defects, and no 2 vehicles will correct exactly the same, so always make it a habit of performing test spots to find the best product, pad, and technique to produce the results you are seeking... please read this article.

Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern

For some guidance, based on your description and products that you have, I would assume you will need an orange light cutting pad with Meguiar's M105, and perhaps a Microfiber cutting pad if you are unable to achieve the defect removal you are seeking with the orange pad. You should then follow up with M205 on a white polishing pad.

Here is an example of an Alpine White 335i that I corrected with just a one-step correction process using Menzerna MC2500 on an Orange Light Cutting Pad. Notice that the medium polish & pad was able to remove nearly all of the visible defects while finishing down perfectly, so there was no need to do 2 steps (compoud & then polish)

For paint protection, if you are not going with a nano coating, my personal favorite sealant is Blackfire Wet Diamond. There is no need to top with a paste wax.

Please let me know if you've got any other questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

I would also suggest using CarPro Iron x (or something similar) before using the Nanoskin. The sealants I like are Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Sealant or Menzerna Powerlock.
      09-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

Use Meg's D300 compound and 301 finishing glaze, they work better and dust less. It's all in your technique however. Take your time and be patient, your results will be positive.

I like Blackfire All Paint Protection for sealant and for wax any of the Dodo Juices or Pinnacle Souveran.

Here's the sticky I wrote on another site that gives you a wealth of info for someone new to paint correction:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...read-for-Noobs
Appreciate 0