E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > I need your opinion on car covers ! !

09-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
BMWs4ever
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2001.5 Passat GLX V6  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
I need your opinion on car covers ! !

I have never used a car cover but would like to know your opinion on them.

I store my car in my garage from Dec-April since I don't drive the car in the winter. Every spring the car is covered in dust so this year I am thinking of buying a car cover. I have never bought a car cover and was wondering if anybody has ever had their car cover scratch their car? (yes I am one of those fanatics about keeping the car's finish pristine)

My thought is that the car cover would get dusty/dirty and when you pulled it off the car it may scratch the paint or repeated taking the car cover on and off would also be a way to scratch parts of the car.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated ! !

Thanks !

Last edited by BMWs4ever; 09-19-2010 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
get the weather handler. I'm using two of them on my cars and they are awesome. I know your car's gonna be indoors but for $60 it is a win car cover.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Eights-n-Aces
[]D []-[] []_[] []< []\[] []_[] ']['
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible/Le Mans Blue/

Garage List
I think any scratching is going to be caused by particles under the cover, not on top of the cover. I think you'd be ok if you wash it prior to storage then put the cover on. I wouldn't put it on / take it off daily.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

a waste of time and money.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Since you'd only be putting it on and taking it off once a year, I don't think you'd have much of scratching problem. Make sure the car and the cover are very clean before putting it on and you'll be fine. Honestly though, I'd find it easier to just wash the car when I'm finally read to take it out.
      09-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
BMWs4ever
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2001.5 Passat GLX V6  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Thanks for all the replies!

I think your right that washing the car prior to putting it away will keep it from scratching and not constantly taking it off will also keep the scratches down.

I have a 2 car garage and my other car is in and out of the garage all winter long. I also keep my snow blower in the garage which comes out every large snow fall. I feel if I have a cover it will protect the car better then without having one.

I am the only guy that does this. I would have thought the majority of people who keep their car in the garage during the winter would have some kind of cover on it ??????
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
a waste of time and money.
Couldn't agree more, don't bother with a car cover. In the end it usually does more harm than good.
      09-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWs4ever View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

I think your right that washing the car prior to putting it away will keep it from scratching and not constantly taking it off will also keep the scratches down.

I have a 2 car garage and my other car is in and out of the garage all winter long. I also keep my snow blower in the garage which comes out every large snow fall. I feel if I have a cover it will protect the car better then without having one.

I am the only guy that does this. I would have thought the majority of people who keep their car in the garage during the winter would have some kind of cover on it ??????
I think you might be the only one
I wash it in the fall and wash it again in the spring, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

I am using a car cover daily (Covercraft NOAH and some local covers), and my car's paint condition is great. No scratches from the car cover (but some light scratches from other things).

In my town, if you wash your car today, tomorrow it will have significant dust. With the car cover, I can keep the car clean for at least a week. It also doesn't attract attention as much.

Before putting on the car cover I use a California Duster (very lightly !) to clean up the dust that may be sitting on the paint.

I also use Zaino products (Z2 Pro, Z6 and Z8) on my car regularly. I believe that the protective layer formed by a sealant or wax does have a role in preventing possible car cover scratches.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
I use car cover on my cars since I'm runnin outta space for them and have to park them outside. If you use the two layer costum car cover you'll be good. also have to know how to put it on the car so it doesn't scratch.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I am using a car cover daily (Covercraft NOAH and some local covers), and my car's paint condition is great. No scratches from the car cover (but some light scratches from other things).

In my town, if you wash your car today, tomorrow it will have significant dust. With the car cover, I can keep the car clean for at least a week. It also doesn't attract attention as much.

Before putting on the car cover I use a California Duster (very lightly !) to clean up the dust that may be sitting on the paint.

I also use Zaino products (Z2 Pro, Z6 and Z8) on my car regularly. I believe that the protective layer formed by a sealant or wax does have a role in preventing possible car cover scratches.

Your car is also AW, which shows the least amount of scratches.

I'm a detailing fanatic and have the most pain in the ass color ever, JB.... and I wouldn't ever touch a car cover. Hell, even with the softest of microfiber towels you're still scratching the paint. A big +1 to Zaino products, they're great. Dusters are usually a big No No as well.

The problem with car covers is anything that gets trapped in there can potentially harm your paint, you're better off just letting it get a little dirty, then doing a full detail in the spring when it starts to warm up. Make sure you have a nice sealant on the car before you get ready for storage.

OP, if you really want a cover than get one. It's not really a big deal either way. You can always have your car buffed and detailed in the spring if you do develop some scratches. My personal opinion is just that's it's a waste.
      09-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

I have JB and use a cover every night, but only because my driveway is completely covered by trees. Polen, and Birds make it an absolute must for me. Yes I have some hairline scratches, but I don't think they were the cover. more from me washing the car or using detail wipe down, which I dont do anymore.
One thing- I bought the BMW outdoor cover at like $215.00 and it lasted about 2 months. I washed it according to supplied instructions and it shrank... too much to fit the car now. Keep in mind if your buying an OEM Cover.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I've never liked them personally, but then again I've never been in the position to park a car for 5 months out of the year either.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #14
scoobydoo
Rep
Drives: bmw

Agreed. A waste of money.
Appreciate 0