E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Buzzzing noise on the move

12-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
rspete
Rep
Drives: 320d

Buzzzing noise on the move

Hi
Looking for advice here

I have recently acquired a 2006 320D Touring this came with Brifgestone Potenza 225/45 17 run flats all round. Offside front replaced on Saturday.

I have noticed a noise, tbh its hard to miss unless deaf, like a low level buzzing, When moving this increases in volume up to about 40mph when it smoothes and dies down without ever going away.
When it is at its worst there is also a slight vibration noticeable through the pedals.
If I push the clutch in and coast it makes no difference the noise is still there.

It is at its worst when the wheels are in the straight ahead position.
When turning very slightly to my left the noise all but disappears, when turning very slightly to the right it increases slightly but is at its most noticeable when the wheels are straight ahead.

Is it likely to be the tyres or is there something else I should check?

All advice gratefully received, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
rspete
Rep

I forgot to say the noise was there before the new tyre was fitted. I convinced myself this was better but today on a 100 plus mile trip I am not so sure!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 01:58 AM   #3
Johnnybhoy7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D SE

My advice would be to check all the plastic under the engine bay is secured properly. I had a buzzing noise like you describe and one of the screws for the air box wasn't lined up and tightened. Captive bolt so it just vibrated and made a buzz
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
rspete
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnybhoy7 View Post
My advice would be to check all the plastic under the engine bay is secured properly. I had a buzzing noise like you describe and one of the screws for the air box wasn't lined up and tightened. Captive bolt so it just vibrated and made a buzz
Hi
Thanks for the suggestion. Had a quick look and cannot see anything adrift however your idea made me think...so looked at the wheel arch liner.

As the noise is a) road speed related rather than engine speed
and b) gets louder or quieter if the steering is moved left or right
I thought this may then be the culprit....but no everything appears ok and nothing is rubbing.

Went out for a short drive and got while getting fuel checked the tyre pressures. Front nearside 1.8 bar about 26psi...inflated to 2.2 bar (32 psi), all others where they should be, and the noise is less obtrusive.

Still there but not as loud..

So my thinking is ...
Its the tyre
Its something around the front nearside hub
or
I am misplacing the origin of the noise and it comes from the drivetrain somewhere rear of the gearbox...driveshaft, axle, rear wheel hubs..

Maybe.... :-)
Appreciate 0