E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 left Muffler Delete?

08-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
Dinocrest
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
N55 left Muffler Delete?

Hello! My '13 E92 335i is great but awfuly quite and a bit boring. My left muffler is clamped on due to it being replaced at BMW many years ago and I was thinking about just unbolting it and putting a pipe in its place to the rear. I want to just to the left muffler since it shouldnt require any cutting or welding since its clamped on.

Would it be ok to just replace the left muffler with a pipe? and what would I do with the part that connects the 2 mufflers together can i just leave that part open? or do i have too have the shop link the 2 mufflers together. it is clamped on both sides.

Thank you guys I'm a bit new to this stuff I can provide more detail or pictures if needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
z3Ro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335XI M-Sport

i guess you can just cap the open ended piece. IMHO i wouldnt do this but if you did and some how the cost is around $100-$150 then you might as well just get a custom exhaust done. that 100-150 could be put towards a more professional setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

https://valvetronic.com/products/bmw...muffler-bypass
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:51 AM   #4
Savedamanualse90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd n52

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
$700 smh... highway robbery?!?!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:31 AM   #5
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savedamanualse90 View Post
$700 smh... highway robbery?!?!
That's what I thought about it! Good idea, decent execution, but I can't imagine a muffler shop would charge more than like 500 bucks to make this one-off, and that's much more expensive+complicated than mass producing them. If it was $400 or so I'd have given it a shot a year ago.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yeah, not cheap but the it's a solid idea...replicate it for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

I had a shop open up the left muffler, replace the perforated pipe for a straight pipe and I bought the valvetronic exhaust valve controller which was $140. I think in total it cost me less than $300.
      09-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
I had a shop open up the left muffler, replace the perforated pipe for a straight pipe and I bought the valvetronic exhaust valve controller which was $140. I think in total it cost me less than $300.
Where do you buy this exhaust valve controller? This sounds ideal to me, as long as the backpressure difference doesn't necessitate a different tune for open/closed (based on asking others, it should be fine).

Is this essentially the same as the valvetronic setup in terms of noise level? If so why not remove the whole muffler like the valvetronic setup does (to save weight)?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:41 PM   #9
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
Where do you buy this exhaust valve controller? This sounds ideal to me, as long as the backpressure difference doesn't necessitate a different tune for open/closed (based on asking others, it should be fine).

Is this essentially the same as the valvetronic setup in terms of noise level? If so why not remove the whole muffler like the valvetronic setup does (to save weight)?
https://valvetronic.com/products/bmw...lap-controller

Back pressure doesn't matter for turbo cars. This is a little bit quieter since you still have the muffler there that is still packed with the dampening material. At least this way you can choose to have your exhaust obnoxious or a bit quieter with the valve controller.
      09-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

If you are good with electronics you can create a way to actuate the valve yourself using simple parts.

I quickly found a forum that suggests a solution but have not looked more in-depth. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225159

It would be a very cost-effective method allowing you to do whatever you wish for with the axle-back portion of the exhaust while still allowing you to open and close one side. Basically a homemade and cheaper version of the device sent in the reply right above. If you go on Aliexpress you can find a wireless relay and ev connectors for less that 5$ total, just add some 14 AWG wire to your basket and voila. (5$ vs 140$ definitely interests me)

When I did my PE mod, I personally left the middle portion that connects the two parts of the exhaust since it acts as a way to equalize the exhausting gasses resulting in less airflow turbulence which help with the harmonic resonance and thus lowers or negates the drone effect that could potentially take place.

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 09-16-2020 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:31 AM   #11
Savedamanualse90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd n52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
If you are good with electronics you can create a way to actuate the valve yourself using simple parts.

I quickly found a forum that suggests a solution but have not looked more in-depth. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225159

It would be a very cost-effective method allowing you to do whatever you wish for with the axle-back portion of the exhaust while still allowing you to open and close one side. Basically a homemade and cheaper version of the device sent in the reply right above. If you go on Aliexpress you can find a wireless relay and ev connectors for less that 5$ total, just add some 14 AWG wire to your basket and voila. (5$ vs 140$ definitely interests me)

When I did my PE mod, I personally left the middle portion that connects the two parts of the exhaust since it acts as a way to equalize the exhausting gasses resulting in less airflow turbulence which help with the harmonic resonance and thus lowers or negates the drone effect that could potentially take place.
They should make this for the N52 motor. It definitely would be cheaper, without the exhaust flap as a muffler delete!!! I'm not sure why people can't think of things like this that could potentially make so much revenue!!! Sometimes it's not always about the one big sale, you can make so much more from affordability and demand!!! Like Honda's they sell more cars because of affordability!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
jpimienta123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 e93 bmw 335i

this is the exact setup i plan for my car, I made my own valve controller using a remote relay, cost me around $50 since I purchased everything off of amazon and bought packs of 5 for the connections, but you can easily make it for cheaper if you can find the connections at a junk yard and order the relay from aliexpress. I had no knowledge on how to make it i just went based off of an image of someone who made it so its pretty easy and anyone can do it.

Here is the link to the images I used: https://s395.photobucket.com/user/bb...?sort=3&page=1
Appreciate 0