E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Steering linkage play? (Video) and clunk

07-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Hello. I've been battling with the steering on this thing for a while already. After prying basically all suspension components all seem tight, the sway bar links are a bit beat but solid and the tension strut balljoint has a bit of up and down play which idk if it's normal. The steering linkage clunks when you begin turning the steering wheel side to side.

Steering linkage play and clunk:

Balljoint up and down play:

All suggestions are appreciated. I think the play is for sure at the linkage and not the rack (phew!) anyone had to replace this part?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
franksinatra
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92William View Post
Hello. I've been battling with the steering on this thing for a while already. After prying basically all suspension components all seem tight, the sway bar links are a bit beat but solid and the tension strut balljoint has a bit of up and down play which idk if it's normal. The steering linkage clunks when you begin turning the steering wheel side to side.

Steering linkage play and clunk:

Balljoint up and down play:

All suggestions are appreciated. I think the play is for sure at the linkage and not the rack (phew!) anyone had to replace this part?
The ball joints definitely need to be replaced with that much movement in them. For the steering linkage, I've seen a few threads (and experienced it myself). It is so little play that I only notice it when the car is off and I move the wheel back and forth. It has no affect on drivability. Eventually i'm sure it'll need replacement but the noise you have when moving the steering wheel back and forth is definitely caused by that linkage. I did a full suspension refresh with every component in front and it still makes that noise due to the linkage. The problem is that part is very expensive and any used parts usually have the same problem (or develop it shortly after installing).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:43 PM   #3
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I'll be replacing the balljoints hopefully soon, I have new febi ones. The sway bar links look a bit beat but my car is on coilovers so i understand they are preloading the bar a bit.

Holy crap is that damn linkage expensive. I just think it might indeed be a good amount of all the play I feel when driving at highway speeds. I'm gonna replace the balljoints and see how it does. Someone needs to come up with a way to replace the u joints or something on that

Keeping an eye out for any xdrive cars that come into my local junkyard maybe that part is good on them.
Appreciate 0