E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 30FF after a round of maintenance/mods

09-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
aggieEVO
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW e90 Msport

30FF after a round of maintenance/mods

Hey All,

Picked up a 2009 335i M-Sport last summer. Spent the last year getting it in fighting shape. Last fall I replaced the blown shocks and all associated hardware. Installed new plugs, coil packs, valve cover gasket, Radium catch can, charge pipe, HPFP, Index 12s, CSF intercooler. I've been running MHD 1+ and the car ran flawlessly.

Doing a starter replacement I noticed how bad my intake valves looked. I made it a priority and started gathering parts (as the car needed some additional love).

I got my daily driver running and started taking apart the car. I did a thorough chemical cleaning of the intake valves and was very careful not to let anything get past. While I had the intake off I did the ECS vacuum line kit to get rid of the big brake booster hose. All connections are good and tight. I inspected the vacuum lines running to my reservoirs and solenoids. All good.

I also needed to do my oil pan gasket. I supported the engine and pulled the subframe. I decided to do downpipes "while I was down there". VRSF downpipes ordered. I pulled the downpipes off. Inlets were so convenient... VRSF inlets ordered.

Oil pan gasket buttoned up, inlets on, downpipes on (99.9999% sure I got the O2s correct and was very careful not to smack them). Did ECS diff bushings and refreshed my auto. New solenoids, all seals, fluid.

Replaced some coolant hoses. Bled the coolant. Car is 100% buttoned up. Checked EVERYTHING twice (not my first rodeo with BMWs or turbo cars). Flashed MHD 2+.

Car cranked right up the first time. I let her idle for about 30 minutes while I topped off trans fluid and checked for leaks.

Put on M3 front control arms. Drove to the alignment shop nice and easy to let the trans adapt. Put about 20 miles on the car driving nice and easy. Throttle response is good, but I can tell the BOV sounds weak. I was assuming I'd be able to hear a lot of extra turbo noise with the inlets.

Decided to give her a little hit. Weak weak weak. I can tell the car isn't giving me any boost. It's smooth. No misfires or hiccups. The only code I get is 30FF. I've read that inlets will mess with older boost solenoids. Anything else I should check first?

Sorry for the long post.

Brady
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
Mustafa.e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335i

Check for boost leaks and vacuum leaks. Make sure all of your pipping is tight. Intercooler pipping. I smoke tested my boost selenoid and it was leaking. Post a log
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Wow, that was a lot of superfluous information. Did you confirm the vacuum connections to the wastegates? I had one of mine pop off while messing with the downpipes and I managed to push it back on to something I thought was the nipple but evidently was not as I was only able to hit around 6 PSI. Can you take a log to see if you're getting any boost at all?
      09-15-2020, 06:42 AM   #4
aggieEVO
Rep

Yeah, it was a lot of info, sorry.

I have done a visual check and all the hoses are ok. I picked up vacuum line last night and I'll get that changed out soon.

I haven't had to log with MHD, yet. I'll get that sorted out. I'm sure it's easier than it was logging with a giant ancient laptop in my Evo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
Wow, that was a lot of superfluous information. Did you confirm the vacuum connections to the wastegates? I had one of mine pop off while messing with the downpipes and I managed to push it back on to something I thought was the nipple but evidently was not as I was only able to hit around 6 PSI. Can you take a log to see if you're getting any boost at all?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #5
zomski101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Make sure the v band for the downpipe isn't obstructing the wastegate arm.
      09-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #6
aggieEVO
Rep

Just to update. I had one of the nipples from one of the hard lines that crosses the valve cover snap off. Patched it temporarily. The car is boosting great, again. I'm planning to replace all the lines soon.
Appreciate 1
stewbets448.50