E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E91 Coilover Install Question

11-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
BrandJas18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328I 6MT Sport Wagon

E91 Coilover Install Question

I am planning to install a set of coil overs this spring and want to start collecting parts now. My car has 94k on it and I am sure the suspension is original. So when installing the coils what else should I consider replacing/refreshing? I am a suspension newb so any advice is appreciated!

J. Brand
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i

I just did mine at 88k miles. I got my ST coilovers from TunerSports for $860.19.....delivered. I got new top hats, spring pads, rear shock mounting hardware, etc....from ECS. Go to ECS and find their instructional video for installing these and it will help. Technically, you'll also need a full four wheel alignment after a few hundred miles, but mine just had the slightest amount of toe out of adjustment. They advised letting it go, but since it was already on the rack, I wanted it to be right. I should also mention that I "corner balanced" my car. I put 255lbs of gym weights in the drivers seat to make the height adjustments and also for the alignment. I just drove 890 miles from Murfreesboro to Houston and the car felt perfect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 12:33 AM   #3
Ruddigger
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

Nice wagon. I like my ST's as well, I'll like them even more when I ditch these run-flats, I bet.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #4
BrandJas18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328I 6MT Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_H1 View Post
I just did mine at 88k miles. I got my ST coilovers from TunerSports for $860.19.....delivered. I got new top hats, spring pads, rear shock mounting hardware, etc....from ECS. Go to ECS and find their instructional video for installing these and it will help. Technically, you'll also need a full four wheel alignment after a few hundred miles, but mine just had the slightest amount of toe out of adjustment. They advised letting it go, but since it was already on the rack, I wanted it to be right. I should also mention that I "corner balanced" my car. I put 255lbs of gym weights in the drivers seat to make the height adjustments and also for the alignment. I just drove 890 miles from Murfreesboro to Houston and the car felt perfect.
I purchased STs as well. $775 shipped NIB from a fellow forum member that never installed them. I was thinking about doing M3 Control Arms at the same time I do the coils. I am guessing the FCABs are wearing in the current control arms. How many threads do you have left to accomplish your ride height?

I will do a full alignment as well. I will be running 18x8.5 BBS RC303s Front ET 28 Rear ET26, unless I get different spacers.

Spring cannot come soon enough!

J. Brand
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandJas18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_H1 View Post
I purchased STs as well. $775 shipped NIB from a fellow forum member that never installed them. I was thinking about doing M3 Control Arms at the same time I do the coils. I am guessing the FCABs are wearing in the current control arms. How many threads do you have left to accomplish your ride height?

I will do a full alignment as well. I will be running 18x8.5 BBS RC303s Front ET 28 Rear ET26, unless I get different spacers.

Spring cannot come soon enough!

J. Brand
I can't remember how many threads were left on each side in front, but the rear perches are screwed down to we're the bottom of the center stationary part is flush with bottom the adjustment "sleeve". From the bottom lip of each wheel, it's exactly 23" to the lip of the fender with my weight in the car. I'm running 235/35-19 and 275/30-19 Nitto Motivo's on 19x8 with 40 offset and 19x9.5 with 45 offset with no clearance issues. I'll likely run some spacers soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
Keith_H1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger
Nice wagon. I like my ST's as well, I'll like them even more when I ditch these run-flats, I bet.
These 19" Nitto's are way softer than the factory 17" run flats. They grip like crazy, are whisper quiet and have a 60,000 tread life. I've had mine now for two years in January and will have 50,000 miles on them by then.....with close to half the tread left. They are absolutely amazing tires. I bought a practically new looking full size 16" wheel from a E46 with an equally new 205/55-16 tire (it still has the mold relief "tits" on it) on eBay for $45 delivered to use as a spare. It's within 3% of the overall height of the 19's so it's the perfect spare.
Appreciate 0