E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LCI Xenon Projector Replacment

01-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

LCI Xenon Projector Replacment

I have a set of LCI adaptive xenon headlights that I acquired from a forum member. They didn't include the adaptive modules, but I don't care for that feature enough to spend a few hundred dollars for new modules so I simply sealed the opening under the headlight with some ABS plastic cutouts that I made and RTV silicone, has been working great and completely waterproof.

The only complaint with these headlights is that the beams are shaky over rough roads and bumps. I can see the cutoff line bouncing and it looks like flickering. It's not the headlight itself but the projector that's shaking. When I had the lights apart I made sure that none of the connectors or adjustment joints were broken or loose, everything inside is solid it's just the projectors themselves are sloppy. I'm guessing it's the complexity of the joints and motor for the adaptive function that's not as solid as a fixed projector.

I'm looking for any suggestions specifically if you've replaced your LCI projectors before. Ideally I'd like a direct-fit projector (non-adaptive, I don't think there are any aftermarket adaptive projectors) that can be mounted to the existing holes on the floating bracket inside the headlight housing, and retain the use of the D1S bulb.

Edit: I found these: https://www.retrofitlab.com/bmw-3-e9...eadlights.html but it says Pre-LCI fitment only. Anyone know of a similar kit for the LCI lights?

Last edited by lowrydr310; 01-27-2021 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:31 AM   #2
bmw335ie90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

I don't have any actual experience on this but I also have an LCI with adaptive and did a bunch if reading in the past.

The two main difficulties I found are that the lights are "perma sealed" which makes them much more difficult to remove the lenses than normal butyl sealed headlights like on Pre LCI. The second thing is that the stock projector is a shitty plastic one that sits in a gimbal mechanism. This mechanism is what allows the projector to swivel left and right. The gimbal has unique mounting holes which doesn't allow any projector to just drop in without some work. The gimbal is what shakes, and is why you can see the lights giggle when you hit bumps, it is a common complaint on LCI xenons with adaptive. Deleting the whole mechanism and installing a custom bracket would likely be the best option for a projector retrofit on these headlights.

There is a member here that sells a bracket.

E90 LCI projector bracket retrofit for G5 for Mini D2S https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734257
Appreciate 1
lowrydr3101657.00
      02-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I'm aware of the permaseal but have spoken to a few people who got them apart. Apparently it takes lots of patience but I may try it.

I found that member with the custom brackets and I'm likely going that route. I like the idea of using a better projector and a better quality lens. I looked at the G5 options but they all seem to be generic clones of the real Hella G5, and many of the photos I've seen of the beam patterns and cutoffs don't look that great. If I'm opening the lights I don't want something breaking again. The Mini D2S seems to be the way to go, but that means I can't reuse my relatively new D1S bulbs. I'd need D2S bulbs and the D2S->D1S conversion igniters.
Appreciate 0