E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ECS Performance Coilovers Reviews???

01-26-2021, 02:20 AM   #1
filhotran
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

ECS Performance Coilovers Reviews???

Hello,

I just recently came across these coilovers from ECS Tuning and I was just wondering how they performed compared to those in its price class like the ISC's, Solo-Werks, ST's, and BCR BC's?? I know that ECS Tuning is pretty reputable, but I haven't seen reviews on these since they are new. I believe these have been out for a while for other vehicles like VW and Audi.

Does anyone know anything about these? Origin, manufacturer, quality, etc.?

I'm browsing for suspension refresh/upgrades since I'm hitting the 100k mark on my e92 335i pretty soon. I don't beat on my car or plan to track her anytime soon so I'm just looking at mostly entry level systems. Any other products, tips, or suggestions would be cool too
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #2
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw=trash

Interesting. At that price point, I'm not holding my breath for great reviews. Do the make coilovers for other platforms? Might find reviews there.

Edit: I browsed the VW and Audi B8 forums.

They kinda are what they are, a cheap, functioning coilover. Not great, not bad. Made in Taiwan from what i can tell.

Last edited by fredcase; 01-26-2021 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (Beam)

I like ECS but without a doubt they sell parts from overseas and mark them way up compared to the price of the same part on ebay. These really look like BC BR coilovers. Probably ordered them from the same factory. Good price though. I have the Solo-Werks and they basically feel like OEM sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #4
christopheraron_e90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

It's been a while since this thread has been updated. I got the ecs coilovers installed in February and it's been about 7 months. I got my e90 in January and the shocks were blown, hence the reason for the ecs coilovers. They were affordable and because of stiffness adjustability and camber plates, it seemed like a deal. The front is pretty good on stiffness adjustability, and the springs are somewhat comfortable. The rear, not so much. I set it to max height, it is still pretty low as my standard size floor jack doesn't fit under. Adjustability for the shocks doesn't make sense as there is no direction indicator on how to adjust from soft to stiff. Either direction I turned them, they required the same force to compress, so might not even be adjustable. Along with that, the bump stops went from where it should absorb the shocks to the top where it can't absorb anything. When the rear goes over bumps, it bounces like a ball. I probably need a chiropractor since my back is always in pain. I called ecs in July to give me warranty replacement and they said that they'll send an entire new set when they get back in stock. Now they are on back order until October 1st. Apparently other people buy them too. Does not make sense since there's only two threads on all of e90post that talk about them. I might put the tein lowering springs that came with the car back on since the springs are way too hard.
Don't get the ECS coilovers. Go for BC or bilstein since they're only a bit more, but they have a reputable name when it comes to suspension. If you like rough suspension, they could be for you, but honestly, it felt more comfortable with the blown shocks and lowering springs than ECS coilovers.
(Photo of bump stop being in place and photo of it where it shouldn't be).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #5
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
You have outlined the result of bad shocks and cheap adjusters. Usually turning clockwise will make them stiffer, and counterclockwise softer. A large majority of people don't understand how adjusters work to begin with. There are many cases of cheap adjusters that actually go softer when turned harder and vice versa. To make a good adjuster is $$$ (Penske makes some really good ones that are linear and dont cause any hystersis)

You are probably experiencing some kind of underdamped effect(pogo effect) over bumps, and its usually poor valving/not matched to the spring rates. It could also be the rebound is too high and it is "jacking down". Too many variables to tell by feel, but it would be easily shown in a dyno. That is why it is important to know what kind of shocks you are buying. Unfortunately, most companies claim it is a secret when in fact it is common knowledge. Usually, 65-70% of Critical Damping @ 3"/sec damper velocity is what most shocks tend to go for.

Go complain on the Why I hate ECS Tuning FB group, apparently thats the only way to even get their attention by blasting them. ECS is actually active on there and have many representatives. I would rather be asking for a refund rather than a replacement.

The bumpstops should go to the top of the shock as it helps with the shocks when it is experiencing nearly full compression, so its fine there. In my opinion, Koni and Bilstein are great since they have good aftermarket support and rebuilders. KW is nice too, but expensive, no dynos, expensive rebuilds (only can be done by KW). They ride very well on the street though and perfect for canyons. Too soft imo for track. I personally don't like BCR and the Taiwan trios because they tend to have the same issues albeit much better than what you are having.