E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > does the 335Xi have the option to be RWD like an STI?

12-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #617
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
My front driveshaft u joint blew up this morning, guess I'm RWD now!!
Holy shoot wow.

This is one of the reasons I didn't want AWD, more risk of issues. Even though we have worse winters here, RWD with winter tires is good and safe enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #618
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Yes I installed it last week. It works perfectly and I am very happy with it.

Also drove in a snowstorm in RWD with blizzaks and all the traction control systems work fine. Basically unless you looked underneath the car, you would think it was a RWD OEM car. No codes, no lights, nada. Entire flash process takes 10-15 seconds.

Sometime in the spring I'll start looking into mechanical LSDs since I plan to keep this car for the long haul.

I keep the tablet and cable in the glovebox incase I do something stupid like get stuck at the bottom of a hill during a snowstorm. My plan is to keep it in RWD unless I need the AWD. Also probably wouldn't be a bad idea to switch it over every couple months to keep all the AWD components moving/working.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #619
philtr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6mt

Carguy, thanks for the update and that's encouraging it has worked so well for you. How's the traction situation without the LSD? Yes, completely agree on needing to "exercise" the awd system now.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #620
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Holy shoot wow.

This is one of the reasons I didn't want AWD, more risk of issues. Even though we have worse winters here, RWD with winter tires is good and safe enough.
by that logic you should be driving a carb'd car with points and a mechanical fuel pump.

because all electronics pose a risk of more issues......
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #621
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
by that logic you should be driving a carb'd car with points and a mechanical fuel pump.

because all electronics pose a risk of more issues......
No.

Because here you got a choice. I didn't have a choice in getting a 335i with a carb.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #622
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Holy shoot wow.

i hate awd. will never buy an awd car again.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #623
SnowGlobe
Private
Rep
Drives: Mazda MX-5

AWD (with winter tires) definitely helps with setting off in snow conditions.

Xdelete is interesting for fun
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:45 PM   #624
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
In case anyone is wondering, with my front driveshaft pulled out, the car will slide around corners decently, but it won't do a brake stand, it cuts power, and on hard 1-2 shits it cuts power too, even with traction fully disabled.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #625
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
i hate awd. will never buy an awd car again.
TBH it all depends on the AWD setup. I used to own an STi. I could slide that thing around corners with a RWD bias all the time and it was perfect. BMW's AWD and the resulting suspension setup sucks. I wish I had bought a RWD model. But having both options will be really nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #626
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Yes I installed it last week. It works perfectly and I am very happy with it.

Also drove in a snowstorm in RWD with blizzaks and all the traction control systems work fine. Basically unless you looked underneath the car, you would think it was a RWD OEM car. No codes, no lights, nada. Entire flash process takes 10-15 seconds.

Sometime in the spring I'll start looking into mechanical LSDs since I plan to keep this car for the long haul.

I keep the tablet and cable in the glovebox incase I do something stupid like get stuck at the bottom of a hill during a snowstorm. My plan is to keep it in RWD unless I need the AWD. Also probably wouldn't be a bad idea to switch it over every couple months to keep all the AWD components moving/working.
What tablet did you use? Looking for a cheap option
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #627
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
TBH it all depends on the AWD setup. I used to own an STi. I could slide that thing around corners with a RWD bias all the time and it was perfect. BMW's AWD and the resulting suspension setup sucks. I wish I had bought a RWD model. But having both options will be really nice.
I can slide it a bit with AWD, it's just not as fun as RWD and an LSD. I don't like the extra parts that break, the extra complexity when working on anything on the front end (downpipes, water pump etc.). Not to mention xi models ride so much worse than rwd models because of the front suspension design.

Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #628
lhuynh336
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
I can slide it a bit with AWD, it's just not as fun as RWD and an LSD. I don't like the extra parts that break, the extra complexity when working on anything on the front end (downpipes, water pump etc.). Not to mention xi models ride so much worse than rwd models because of the front suspension design.

shouldnt we resort to an lsd or m3 lsd and code out the e diff and be happy?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #629
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtr View Post
Carguy, thanks for the update and that's encouraging it has worked so well for you. How's the traction situation without the LSD? Yes, completely agree on needing to "exercise" the awd system now.
Honestly the E-diff hasn't been too bad given the current winter road conditions. I haven't had and safe oppurtunities to try higher speed powersliding on dry pavement. Now there is lots of sand/salt on the roads so it doesn't take much to light up both tires. I suspect that the real noticeable difference will be on warm asphalt, with summer tires- that's where a LSD will shine.

Right now if I launch, both tires spin effortlessly. I also have the rear fairly buttoned down, so I also don't get any wheel hop. (delrin subframe bushings, delrin diff bushings, group N toe arm bushings).

I also use a google nexus 7 tablet that I bought used off ebay for $40 to load the xDelete.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #630
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuynh336 View Post
shouldnt we resort to an lsd or m3 lsd and code out the e diff and be happy?
Totally different system. The ECU really kills the fun when you get it sideways for too long.

I suspect the front AWD system just isn't up to prolonged high torque use. One major problem is the incredibly soft transmission/transfer case bushing. I bet the loading/unloading of this soft bushing increases the likelyhood of transfer case failure (i.e. stepper motor/worm gear).
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #631
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Xdrive (E92)

Quote:
Totally different system. The ECU really kills the fun when you get it sideways for too long.

I suspect the front AWD system just isn't up to prolonged high torque use. One major problem is the incredibly soft transmission/transfer case bushing. I bet the loading/unloading of this soft bushing increases the likelyhood of transfer case failure (i.e. stepper motor/worm gear).
https://twistedtuning.com/collection...-mount-inserts

I wonder if this would help resolve that issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
Has anyone installed the Xdelete yet?
I bought xdelete and have been using it all week, it's a lot of fun. Was surprised how easily I can break traction on the rear wheels. The car is certainly faster with xdrive enabled off the line, but I think it handles better in RWD mode and I've been using it mostly just goofing around, disabling traction control and sliding around a parking lot/empty streets near my house.

And when I die, make sure you spread my blood on a BMW
2012 E92 335i xdrive | KW V1 Coilovers | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 7" HD | VRSF Catless DP | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #632
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
+1 Agreed.

Part of the problem is that in stock configuration it doesn't have the power to powerslide, aside from really cold/wet asphalt on shitty tires or snow. Once you start upping the power, the front portion of the drivetrain can't handle it for too long-thus why the ECU kills the fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #633
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehategod View Post
https://twistedtuning.com/collection...-mount-inserts

I wonder if this would help resolve that issue?
Yea I saw that but solid aluminum on that part is going to dramatically increase NVH, to the point it wouldn't be fun to DD. I have solid delrin diff mounts which increase NVH a bit, but is totally tolerable.

I think the solution for the transfer case mount bushing is a rubber alternative in the 60A durometer range. Some people have used 3M window adhesive but I don't know how long this would last. Another possible alternative is the X5M transfer case bushing but I don't know if anyone has tried it to confirm fitment.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #634
lhuynh336
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm confused here, so I cant use xdelete and retrofit a mechanical LSD and then code out the not so fun stuff?

My exact plan is to use xdelete, lsd and then follow this guys guide and code out a few things
http://www.onelapx1.com/blog/how-to-...w-actually-fun
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #635
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm confused here, so I cant use xdelete and retrofit a mechanical LSD and then code out the not so fun stuff?

My exact plan is to use xdelete, lsd and then follow this guys guide and code out a few things
http://www.onelapx1.com/blog/how-to-...w-actually-fun
Yea that would work fine and that's what I plan to do.

xDelete + MLSD = AWESOME

xDrive + MLSD = Don't bother.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #636
lhuynh336
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

xDelete + MLSD = AWESOME

Making sure I wasn't losing my mind, thanks for the clarification! Swapping in a an engine now. Manual swap will be done in a couple months then LSD. Im excited!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #637
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Making sure I wasn't losing my mind, thanks for the clarification! Swapping in a an engine now. Manual swap will be done in a couple months then LSD. Im excited!!!!!!!!
Good luck!

If you can find a way to retain the 3.46 F/R diffs, it will make getting a LSD for the rear MUCH easier (i.e. bolted ring gear).
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #638
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

xDelete + MLSD = AWESOME

I'm not sure why you say that. Any loss of traction at the rear will transfer power to the front, so what would be a spinning inside rear wheel turns to extra torque to the front wheels, resulting in understeer.

The older Subaru Foresters (up until 2008ish I think) with automatic transmissions have a similar AWD system to ours, but the high trim levels got LSDs in the rear while the base models didn't. Try driving one of each, you'll notice the difference. The LSD models don't push as badly.

The reason I've never put a limited slip on my X3 or my old wagon was purely due budgetary considerations. I'm pretty sure tetsuo111 had one on his old xDrive e91 that got wrecked though, I'm sure he can give some input.
Appreciate 0