E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF- is it as easy as pouring it in?

05-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

DPF- is it as easy as pouring it in?

i'm surprised this isn't a sticky.... is there a specific DPF that bmw recommends for these cars? i know sometimes BMWs can be sensitive. is it as easy as opening the bumper hatch and pouring it in? if the car is asking for it and threatening the "no start" warning, does it need any special "dealer only" service. i'm trying not to get raped on this at the dealer if i don't have to.
      05-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm surprised this isn't a sticky.... is there a specific DPF that bmw recommends for these cars? i know sometimes BMWs can be sensitive. is it as easy as opening the bumper hatch and pouring it in? if the car is asking for it and threatening the "no start" warning, does it need any special "dealer only" service. i'm trying not to get raped on this at the dealer if i don't have to.
It's DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) not DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). DEF is used in the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) process to turn NOx to O2 and N2.

There is only one fluid being sold - any auto parts store, or most truck stops. It's about $12 for 2.5 gallons IME. There are several threads here on re-filling the DEF tank, which is actually two tanks (active and passive.) Nothing needs to be done other than filling the tank(s). Best is to just fill the passive tank (lower filler IIRC) and let the transfer pump fill the active tank.

The dealers charge an exorbitant amount to fill it (actually indies aren't immune to that) as they've got to treat it as a hazardous liquid. DIY is easy and far cheaper.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11580.00
      05-15-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

thank you sir! i'll search for that thread now that i'm using the correct acronym.

edit- still not finding anything in this forum or the DIY forum. any tips?

Last edited by roastbeef; 05-16-2017 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 05:54 AM   #4
JayNC335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d w/ Sport pkg

YouTube has some videos, buy one liter from the dealer and get the rest in bulk. The liter from the dealer screws on to the port and you push on the bottle to allow fluid to flow. Once it's empty, mark the top of that bottle and cut a small hole it in it, then use it as a funnel. I also put the driver side of the car in the air to improve the flow rate. Not 100% sure it works, but it makes logical sense.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11580.00
      05-16-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

thank you. i just found the bimmertools vid on youtube. i found another vid that was somewhat conflicting, but i think i trust the bimmertools vid.

edit- bimmertools vid is for the x5d, and the location of the def reservoir isn't the same. how do i know which is passive/etc.? and how much do these cars take? no wonder bmw rapes the diesel customers.... its like a secret or something.
i saw a comment about "avoid overfilling", but i'm not sure if that floods something or if it just makes a little mess.

i'm a DIY guy, but i don't know anything about diesel maintenance. thanks for the tips and spoon-feeding it to me.

Last edited by roastbeef; 05-16-2017 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

what about using one of these things rather than the spring loaded bottle?
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17232-R...ords=def+fluid
      05-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #7
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

that funnel is good in theory.. once you see the angle that the fill port is you will find that one will dump all over your feet...

from what I can tell ( I haven't filled mine yet) a regular funnel will do just fine...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

to be honest, i've never popped the bumper hatch. i'll post pics or take a vid... there is one vid on youtube and the dude is making a complete mess. i'm a decent problem solver... ordered the fluid on amazon. i'll be doing this soon.
      05-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Go buy the small DEF bottle at a VW dealership and use that as your funnel for future fills. It simply screws on then you break the seal by pushing. Drains into the tank all by itself. Then for future fills you simply cut a hole at the bottom of the VW bottle and fill from the big DEF jugs you can buy anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
JTC1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I don't think a funnel will work. I think you are going to have to get the adapter. I have never filled my BMW, but have many time on the VW I had. I used the small bottle with the end cut off like others have said. After screwing it on you have to push pretty hard on it then the valve opens and the fluid flows in. I think the def system has a little bit of a vacuum, which is why you need the adaptor and not just a funnel. Someone ask about this a while back on the Facebook page. If I remember correctly the active tank hold 2 gallons and the passive 4.

Here is a lengthy post about it. Read through it....
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851237
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11580.00
      05-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC1 View Post
I don't think a funnel will work. I think you are going to have to get the adapter. I have never filled my BMW, but have many time on the VW I had. I used the small bottle with the end cut off like others have said. After screwing it on you have to push pretty hard on it then the valve opens and the fluid flows in. I think the def system has a little bit of a vacuum, which is why you need the adaptor and not just a funnel. Someone ask about this a while back on the Facebook page. If I remember correctly the active tank hold 2 gallons and the passive 4.

Here is a lengthy post about it. Read through it....
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851237
great thread, thanks. for some reason, my searches didn't bring up anything.
      12-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #12
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

so, i felt the need to come back and touch on this. i added fluid for the first time yesterday. its as easy as putting washer fluid in. i found the lower tank was the passive tank and added about a gallon of fluid. i figure i'll do this from time to time to get it to self fill the active tank. didn't need a special tool to open the cap- i just used some needle nose pliers and spread them within the cap. i was surprised at how easy it was and how big of a deal bmw makes it out to be.
      12-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
so, i felt the need to come back and touch on this. i added fluid for the first time yesterday. its as easy as putting washer fluid in. i found the lower tank was the passive tank and added about a gallon of fluid. i figure i'll do this from time to time to get it to self fill the active tank. didn't need a special tool to open the cap- i just used some needle nose pliers and spread them within the cap. i was surprised at how easy it was and how big of a deal bmw makes it out to be.
Those cap really aren't on there that tight. I use to just loosen it by hand. I get what you mean by how bmw makes it out to be something horribly difficult. I went to my local dealership (which is the only bmw dealership in Maine lol) and I asked them how to fill the def fluid and the best answer I got was "Did you look in the manual". Thank god for this forum though lol
      12-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #14
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
Quote:
Those cap really aren't on there that tight. I use to just loosen it by hand. I get what you mean by how bmw makes it out to be something horribly difficult. I went to my local dealership (which is the only bmw dealership in Maine lol) and I asked them how to fill the def fluid and the best answer I got was "Did you look in the manual". Thank god for this forum though lol
Lol, manual probably says something like, "for diesel fluid, see your local Bmw center."

I have one more jug I'm going to use as a funnel from here on out.
      12-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #15
ground_zero
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d sport package

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I attempted to fill my DEF tank, I used the screw driver in the toolkit, You can remove the screw bit and use the handle to open the reverse socket.
It overfilled with just a regular bulk bottle, This is ridiculous now I have to go to my nearest dealer to get a screw on bottle... Of course nothing but US and Japanese car dealers here.

Shame on you BMW for making it so hard to do DIY work on your cars!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 05:00 AM   #16
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol, manual probably says something like, "for diesel fluid, see your local Bmw center."

I have one more jug I'm going to use as a funnel from here on out.
Yes basically lol... You could also delete it like I did though
      12-03-2018, 05:21 AM   #17
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'd love to delete/etc my wife's car, but she isn't going to need that much power and we live in California...
I wouldn't even tune it, just get rid of all the stuff that clogs it up and complicates things.
      12-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #18
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
I'd love to delete/etc my wife's car, but she isn't going to need that much power and we live in California...
I wouldn't even tune it, just get rid of all the stuff that clogs it up and complicates things.
I am sure there are tuners who could offer a EGR and SCR disable and leave power at stock levels.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #19
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

Quote:
Plenty of tuners can eliminate emissions stuff, but if you are in Cali and have to do a sniffer test it wont pass. If you just have to do OBD check you should be fine.
      12-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #20
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Hmmm.... no sniffer for obd2 vehicles in Cali anymore.
      12-03-2018, 10:20 AM   #21
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm.... no sniffer for obd2 vehicles in Cali anymore.
dudmd can do stock tune and E-delete, but you would need to contact him about OBD readiness.
      12-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #22
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep

Could also have two dde's one stock tune one with scr and egr delete with some extra power. That's if you can find a good deal on a dde lol.