E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > MUST see photos - Hankook tire slowly wraps around steering column

09-26-2018, 07:15 PM   #23
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I had fantastic luck with hankook tires and several people purchased the same AT tires for their junk on my recommendation. No one ever had failures, and these were used off road and in the rocks to do much worse things than a tire on a BMW.

the #1 reason for tire delamination is heat. The #1 cause for too much heat is underinflation.

Whens the last time you checked the tire pressures?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #24
cwbmw
N55 noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92lci 335i

Garage List
Exclamation

Guys, thanks for the comments! Glad this IS as crazy as it looks. So I just jacked the front of car up with the sun above and took some pics. I think this may actually have been some weird piece of debris fucking the tire up and then it slowly degrading...

lowrydr -- see my pics below, but no, lower spring mount seems fine and matches right side (rubber seals on both shocks are broken as can be seen)

Nickco43 -- Thanks for comments, see pics below for tread. Note that my front right tire WAS replaced 6 mos ago due to bubbling from hitting a pot hole.

nsjames -- I check tire pressure every week or so, this seems to have been a freak occurrence causing the delamination.

After jacking the car up and taking photos, I rotated the wheel fully each way and nothing is hitting the wheel when I spin it.

Photos:

Due to that gash on the splash guard... I'm wondering if something hit the tire and caused damage, leading to delamination.

Also, the inner tire damage, that may be from car wash rails? Something to note is that I took my car through a quick car wash the day this all happened...

Thoughts? I'm getting the tire replaced tomorrow and will get the car aligned right after that.

e: Also, I'm almost positive that ripped sensor is the pad wear sensor. However, ABS lights do not go off (not that I'm driving the car around lol).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 09:08 PM   #25
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

I’ve ran Hankook evo2 tires for 3 years now... they are a really good tire. Period. Sure they aren’t Michelin, but Hankook is a solid company.
All tire brands can have bad tires or bad batches, shit happens.
If this happened to all hankooks or was a “common” issue that would be a different story then.
Does look like alignment or rubbing issue, but also could be a piece of tire beat up from a pothole and caused some damage and things got worse with heat and driving on it? Who knows, any tire manufacturer isn’t going to replace that, but it’s worth a phone call.
Either way, those pictures are crazy! First time I’ve ever seen something like that!
      09-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #26
Cabdriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I've seen a lot but nothing like this! Wow!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #27
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I’ve ran Hankook evo2 tires for 3 years now... they are a really good tire. Period. Sure they aren’t Michelin, but Hankook is a solid company.
All tire brands can have bad tires or bad batches, shit happens.
If this happened to all hankooks or was a “common” issue that would be a different story then.
Does look like alignment or rubbing issue, but also could be a piece of tire beat up from a pothole and caused some damage and things got worse with heat and driving on it? Who knows, any tire manufacturer isn’t going to replace that, but it’s worth a phone call.
Either way, those pictures are crazy! First time I’ve ever seen something like that!
I was driving my sister's Kia Soul in a snow storm last year and hit a pot hole. Huge bubble on the brand new Michelin Primer A/S which I recommend to a lot of people. Bad batches happen.

Anyone looking for new tires make sure they have an A A 400-600 rating. Even if you are looking at budget tires make sure they have the A A or AA A rating. I have seen $50 tires with an AA A rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbmw View Post
Guys, thanks for the comments! Glad this IS as crazy as it looks. So I just jacked the front of car up with the sun above and took some pics. I think this may actually have been some weird piece of debris fucking the tire up and then it slowly degrading...

Nickco43 -- Thanks for comments, see pics below for tread. Note that my front right tire WAS replaced 6 mos ago due to bubbling from hitting a pot hole.

After jacking the car up and taking photos, I rotated the wheel fully each way and nothing is hitting the wheel when I spin it.

Due to that gash on the splash guard... I'm wondering if something hit the tire and caused damage, leading to delamination.

Also, the inner tire damage, that may be from car wash rails? Something to note is that I took my car through a quick car wash the day this all happened...

Thoughts? I'm getting the tire replaced tomorrow and will get the car aligned right after that.

e: Also, I'm almost positive that ripped sensor is the pad wear sensor. However, ABS lights do not go off (not that I'm driving the car around lol).
I would scan the car with INPA. The ABS most likely just needs to be cleared.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #28
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbmw View Post

lowrydr -- see my pics below, but no, lower spring mount seems fine and matches right side (rubber seals on both shocks are broken as can be seen)

Those new pictures help. The original pictures looked like abnormal wear on the inside of the tire and wheel, but it now looks like that's fine.

It could very well be the automatic car wash that either damaged the tire or made existing damage worse, but good luck trying to prove that and getting them to take any responsibility. Be happy that you just need a new tire and don't have any major damage.

Also, just to be a bit picky but that part where the tire shreds wrapped around isn't the steering column. The steering column is what runs through the dash/floor and connects your steering wheel to to the steering rack.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 12:08 PM   #29
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I was driving my sister's Kia Soul in a snow storm last year and hit a pot hole. Huge bubble on the brand new Michelin Primer A/S which I recommend to a lot of people. Bad batches happen.

Anyone looking for new tires make sure they have an A A 400-600 rating. Even if you are looking at budget tires make sure they have the A A or AA A rating. I have seen $50 tires with an AA A rating.

I would scan the car with INPA. The ABS most likely just needs to be cleared.
the traction rating has no bearing on a tire's quality, only how it performs in a standardized braking test in wet conditions.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 09:24 PM   #30
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
the traction rating has no bearing on a tire's quality, only how it performs in a standardized braking test in wet conditions.
Obviously buy the best tires you can afford but if you are shopping for sub $100 tires it is a valuable tool.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #31
cwbmw
N55 noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92lci 335i

Garage List
Talking

Update:

Tire was replaced today. Mobile tire service guy was shocked by the photos and story, he ended up taking the tire and tread 'strands' and is going to reach out to Hankook on my behalf. He said that this is the most freak-accident thing he's ever seen happen to a tire in over 20 years of working exclusively as a tire person.

He said the only thing he has seen remotely similar is replacing rear tires of drifters, but the tires come apart in much more 'shoestring/twine' size strands and never tighten up around the axle.

After tire was replaced, my brakes are 100% back to normal, all brake lines have been inspected.

Car was scanned for codes (none active or in history) and all modules cleared regardless.

Crazy, huh! So the rubber strands were actually choking out the brake line enough to trip out the entire dsc system/brake pressure.

Counting my blessings on this one
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #32
dcorn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

That is a crazy situation.

And you guys need to learn what a steering column is. I believe you were referring to the tie rods and control arms.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 07:02 AM   #33
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

From the photos it does look like the tyre was quite worn on the edge already.
V12's run quite narrow and BMW's really ride the edges at extreme steering angles. Even with RFT but RFTs have chunky sidewalls which helps a bit.

Hard to say how this happened but I'd say the tyre was probably due for replacement soon. Front tyres usually wear the outer edge so it might be worth getting an alignment check. But you had the other front tyre replaced not long ago so it's not really a fair comparison.
Appreciate 0