E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil leak question

06-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
M4fosho
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

Oil leak question

Hi there -- this is for my 2011 328i.

I know my oil filter gasket needs to be replaced, per the image below. My question is -- could the gasket be the culprit behind the puddle of oil in the 2nd image underneath the intake manifold?

Is this common or am I looking at a leak from someplace else as well? TIA.

View post on imgur.com
- puddle under manifold
View post on imgur.com
- pic of oil filter housing that shows clear sign of a slow leak
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

It could be. It could also be the valve cover gasket.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

That OFH gasket leak is the most likely culprit.

The PCV system has a hose that connects to the intake manifold right above that puddle but I’ve never heard of a oil leak coming from the PCV connection, and frankly a PCV leak would have much more obvious symptoms like rough running and lean codes.

I doubt it’s the valve cover also because that’s the high side of the block and all the valve cover gasket leaks I’ve dealt with have been on the low side (exhaust manifold side).

So yeah, it’s most likely from the OFH gasket leak.
Appreciate 1
Meeni329.00
      06-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
M4fosho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
That OFH gasket leak is the most likely culprit.

The PCV system has a hose that connects to the intake manifold right above that puddle but I’ve never heard of a oil leak coming from the PCV connection, and frankly a PCV leak would have much more obvious symptoms like rough running and lean codes.

I doubt it’s the valve cover also because that’s the high side of the block and all the valve cover gasket leaks I’ve dealt with have been on the low side (exhaust manifold side).

So yeah, it’s most likely from the OFH gasket leak.
Thanks for the pointers. No codes and no rough idle.

Just the smell of burnt oil so going to start with replacing the oil filter housing gasket.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4fosho View Post
...Just the smell of burnt oil ...
That is usually from the valve cover gasket where it leaks down from the back corner onto the hot exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If oil is leaking on your accessory belt it's imperative
you get it fixed as soon as possible.

Or this could happen.

broken belt
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1305990
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1231881
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=23
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1477111
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
M4fosho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
That is usually from the valve cover gasket where it leaks down from the back corner onto the hot exhaust.
My wife has said she has seen light smoke and a burning smell coming from under the hood (hence we're not driving it).

My guess is the smoke/smell is coming from the oil puddle under the intake manifold I pictured as a result of the leaky oil filter housing gasket.

Anyone have experience here?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
My wife has said she has seen light smoke and a burning smell coming from under the hood (hence we're not driving it).

My guess is the smoke/smell is coming from the oil puddle under the intake manifold I pictured as a result of the leaky oil filter housing gasket.

Anyone have experience here?
It shouldn't get hot enough under the intake manifold to cause the pooled oil to smoke. It would need to be >300F to cause engine oil to smoke and nothing on the intake side of the engine should be that hot.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
M4fosho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
It shouldn't get hot enough under the intake manifold to cause the pooled oil to smoke. It would need to be >300F to cause engine oil to smoke and nothing on the intake side of the engine should be that hot.
Yea, it's smoking after only a few minutes of driving which leads me to believe that the valve cover gasket needs replacing immediately.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #10
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Yea, it's smoking after only a few minutes of driving which leads me to believe that the valve cover gasket needs replacing immediately.
OFH leak might make its way to exhaust side where it will burn on the hot tubes.

If you witness smoke and burning smell from under the intake, you could have a problem with the PCV heater. There's a recall campaign pending.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #11
M4fosho
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
OFH leak might make its way to exhaust side where it will burn on the hot tubes.

If you witness smoke and burning smell from under the intake, you could have a problem with the PCV heater. There's a recall campaign pending.
EDIT: my PCV valve was replaced last year as part of the recall so I've nixed that as the culprit.

I'm going to start with the OFH then go from there. The reason why I ask if its the valve cover gasket was my intention to replace both at the same time but the labor doesn't appear to overlap for the 2 gaskets.

Thanks everyone for all your help thus far.

Last edited by M4fosho; 06-03-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #12
bin01123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750i

Garage List
2011 BMW 750i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

EDIT: my PCV valve was replaced last year as part of the recall so I've nixed that as the culprit.

I'm going to start with the OFH then go from there. The reason why I ask if its the valve cover gasket was my intention to replace both at the same time but the labor doesn't appear to overlap for the 2 gaskets.

Quote:
Quote:

Same thing happened to my wife's car. If you're smelling burning or smoke you need to replace you valve cover gasket. So you likely need to do that and your oil filter housing gasket like I did as well.
      06-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
M4fosho
Rep

I want to supply an update in hopes of helping someone in the future. Thanks to everyone on here for accurately diagnosing both issues.

The oil filter housing gasket needed replacing -- I wiped down the area and after a quick drive I saw oil form around the seal which was a sure sign.

The valve cover gasket needed replacing also -- the burning was the smell of oil leaking down onto the cat.

The car is at 60k miles and both failed like clockwork. Thanks again to this wonderful forum.
Appreciate 1