E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > [VIC] Calder Park Drag Day Sunday 16th July

07-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #23
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenazz
im running full e85. pi and stg 3. i had long warm cranks and found out it was from 3 slightly leaking mmp port injectors when the car is off. replaced these and instance cranks now on e85 all t2hr time.

also before pi, 2 x index 9 injectors whr leaking casuing long warm cranks also. replaced them and that fixed thr long crank on warm start.
Thanks for sharing your experience mate! I am finding that once the early morning cold start is over the rest of the day, the warmer starts are pretty instant although i have noticed a bit of a rough idle even on the warm starts. Will look into both DI and PI injectors to make sure they are not leaking
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #24
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Tawf, best to change out your plugs asap, on Kent's car I pulled the plugs after around 3k kms and the plugs were already worn down, gap was up to .32 and the tips were noticeably worn down.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #25
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
Tawf, best to change out your plugs asap, on Kent's car I pulled the plugs after around 3k kms and the plugs were already worn down, gap was up to .32 and the tips were noticeably worn down.
Okay thanks Vince - I have seen NGKs on fcpeuro for $14.89 US each. Is that where I should purchase from or are there any other Aus dealers like sparesbox, clickeable etc?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 05:27 PM   #26
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfeeqh View Post
Okay thanks Vince - I have seen NGKs on fcpeuro for $14.89 US each. Is that where I should purchase from or are there any other Aus dealers like sparesbox, clickeable etc?
Don't know of a good place to get them locally, if you're already buying a bunch of stuff from FCP it makes sense to buy it from there.
      07-17-2017, 11:03 PM   #27
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
@Serial Driver

Note: car runs PI with Fuelit stage 3 LPFP on 100% e85 so in winter long cranks due to fuel vs failing parts bit difficult to work out (for me anyway)

For last couple of months have had long cranks, occasional rough idle in the mornings. On one particular occasion 2 weeks ago I heard misfiring standing behind the car, however got no codes then after 5 mins of driving it went away.

On last Sat morning the half engine light came on as I reversed from the garage with the following codes. I noticed the fan also turning on max but didn't get any waterpump codes:

29E0 - DME Mixture control
29F1- DME Fuel pressure plausibility
2A2B - DME mixture control
2AAE - DME Fuel pump

I don't really have any recent logs except from the last time I headed to the tracks in April this year. In this i noticed the LPFP dipping to 45-50psi on 3rd and 4th gear higher up in the rpm. At the same time the rail pressure dropped closer to 1000psi. However, the AFRs for both banks were stable and the STFTs also stayed within a tolerble range. I got no misfires and zero timing corrections.

Log below:
*http://www.datazap.me/u/tawfeeqh/cal...zoom=2891-3094

I contacted steve at fuelit showing him the logs and he said perhaps its an issue with the wiring. To me it felt like the secondary pump was switching off too early and thats why the rail pressure dropped too. Nizpro tried replicating on the dyno but didn't see the LPFP behaving in the manner it was at the track. I think Steve also mentioned adjusting the hobb switch so they did that. I was totally confused and haven't really investigated much after that. I wasn't getting any codes with the above log too.

This is another log from last year when I ran the 11.1-11.2 sec 1/4 miles. In this the LPFP appears a bit more stable than the April log above. Not sure maybe I need an external fuel regulator.
*http://www.datazap.me/u/tawfeeqh/hea...20&zoom=66-264

My car is not my daily and driven a very minimal amount only on the weekends, so sometimes its weeks until it gets any decent WOT. I thought I would investigate the issues and iron out before the better weather from Sep onwards for the track.

Finally for the three years I have owned the car I haven't really had the common n54 failures apart from the waterpump. I have not changed the HPFP, injectors or coils. I did change the rear o2 sensors last week though. Am running NGK spark plugs with larger gapping and haven't changed in 10,000km.

Well hopefully someone can give some advise on the above.

Any thoughts Coupes33
I experience a similar issue (longer cranking time) in winter when initially starting the car cold. I have found pumping the accelerator a bit while cranking gets it going quicker. A long crank for me is around 3-4s. It appears to be a normal issue with running 100% E85.
I looked up those DTCs in the Bentley Service Manual which gives different definitions depending on the different P-Codes for the same BMW FC.
29E0 - P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
- P2188 System Too Rich at idle (Bank 1)
29F1 - P3283 Fuel pressure Control Adaptive Fuel Volume Out of Range (Bank 1)
- P3284 Fuel pressure Control Adaptive Fuel Volume Implausible (Bank 1)
2A2B - P0172 System Too Rich (Bank 1)
2AAE - P1214 Fuel Pumps Feed Too High
- P1215 Fuel Pump Speed Too Low
- P1216 Fuel Pump Emergency Operation
- P1217 Fuel Pump Over Temperature Condition

What does all of that tell you, I am not sure. It certainly appears that something is haywire with the fuel system especially in Bank 1. It could be an injector playing up in Bank 1 or these could be the result of the LPFP being inconsistent. Your latest datalog (April 17) shows the LPFP quickly dropping pressure around 5,800-6,000rpm in each gear. As you stated, it appears that the secondary pump is turning off. A drop in flow from the LPFP would cause the HPFP to struggle and drop pressure at the same time which your log shows. What psi setting do you have your Hobb switch set at? I have the same setup i.e. FueliT Stage 3 LPFP with Hobb switch. Mine is set at 15psi. Your idle issues appear to be fuel related. Maybe too rich fuel fouling spark plugs on start and then they clean up after the engine has run for a while. Maybe get the injectors checked out. I don't know what you can do with the LPFP.
Appreciate 1
tawfeeqh162.00
      07-18-2017, 03:31 AM   #28
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep

hey Coupes33 thanks for looking into this for me. I had the mechanic check out what version injectors I had along with the hpfp. He confirmed 3 x injectors were index 9 and the other 3 were an older part numbers probably what came from factory in 2007. My hpfp build date is 2007 so original factory one again. I'm suprised all these "prone to failure" parts survived on my tuned car given the 1/4 mile runs I have done too.

I sent my logs to Buraq and he reckoned car is running too rich so I may send him some new pulls once car is back on road. He thinks the drop off in lpfp may be tune related too. I thought a 11-12 afr target is appropriate unless im missing something. My local custom tune had a 0.88 lamda value on the e85 tune (this is a standardised value that doesn't require transformation for different fuel i.e. 98 vs e85). I will try and get the basic things sorted first then look into tune again.

cheers will keep everyone posted
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 06:31 AM   #29
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Quote:
hey Coupes33 thanks for looking into this for me. I had the mechanic check out what version injectors I had along with the hpfp. He confirmed 3 x injectors were index 9 and the other 3 were an older part numbers probably what came from factory in 2007. My hpfp build date is 2007 so original factory one again. I'm suprised all these "prone to failure" parts survived on my tuned car given the 1/4 mile runs I have done too.

I sent my logs to Buraq and he reckoned car is running too rich so I may send him some new pulls once car is back on road. He thinks the drop off in lpfp may be tune related too. I thought a 11-12 afr target is appropriate unless im missing something. My local custom tune had a 0.88 lamda value on the e85 tune (this is a standardised value that doesn't require transformation for different fuel i.e. 98 vs e85). I will try and get the basic things sorted first then look into tune again.

cheers will keep everyone posted
My car is a Sept 2006 model and I am still running the original hpfp and injectors. So far I have had no issues with these after 127,000km. I cannot see how your hpfp would be contributing to your issue. As you say your AFR results are no problem. A faulty injector should be throwing up some DTCs I would have thought.
Appreciate 1
tawfeeqh162.00
      07-18-2017, 10:10 PM   #30
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Hey tawfeeqh, what PI system are you using? BQ Tuning have been modifying my tune which required installing a MaxBoost on the N20 TMAP. I am not a tuner but this required adjusting the scalars on the tune. I did a couple of datalogs and found due to these scalar adjustments, the PI was not working resulting in the HPFP dropping pressure at higher revs. I wondered if this maybe your issue as well. I have the Fuelit PI system with the Split Second Controller. Apparently, the controller needs to be tuned as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 04:31 AM   #31
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33
Hey tawfeeqh, what PI system are you using? BQ Tuning have been modifying my tune which required installing a MaxBoost on the N20 TMAP. I am not a tuner but this required adjusting the scalars on the tune. I did a couple of datalogs and found due to these scalar adjustments, the PI was not working resulting in the HPFP dropping pressure at higher revs. I wondered if this maybe your issue as well. I have the Fuelit PI system with the Split Second Controller. Apparently, the controller needs to be tuned as well.
Hi coupes

I am running an Evolution of Speed Manifold coupled with the fuelit stage 3 pump and AI6 split second controller + n20 3.5 bar Tmap sensor. The max boost adaptor was required in the early days when MHD did not have the functionality to log pass 22.5 psi. The bmw DME cannot report pass 22.5 psi even with the n20 sensor installed so in the early days the adaptor was being used as a way around it. In mid 2016 MHD added this functionality to allow tuners to adjust a 3 point mapping table that allows scaling of the sensor voltage to pressure.

So in summary if you are using the n20 sensor with the Maxboost adaptor you need to can "check" the n20 option in MHD before flashing and the DME will interpret the voltage correctly and convert to the right pressure. No further scaling is needed in the logs.

HOWEVER if you only use the n20 map sensor (without the maxboost adaptor) then you need to scale the logs using the 3 point voltage scaling feature in MHD (this essentially replaces the maxboost adaptor). The n20 check box does not need to be ticked in this scenario. The link contains info i have explained along with values required to put in the custom 3 point table in MHD.

http://www.***********.com/showthread.php?71419-N20-and-Maxboost-trying-to-understand-exactly-what-maxboost-does

Also the AI6 controller needs to be programmed using the r4 software to setup the injector pulse rates. This is a free downloadable software. I can go through my emails and find the download link if you like. At the time I was liasing with nizpro, mhd and split second controller to get it all working.

If you are using COBB I can understand why you are still using the adaptor

Tawfeeq

edit: link won't work because its on the other forum. Just google the remaining key words and you will find it on [Admin Notified]
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 05:17 AM   #32
Coupes33
Major
Rep

Thanks for that info Tawfeeqh. I am using COBB so I will have to reprogram the Split Second Controller so that the PI is triggered at a lower boost setting. Further investigation required.
Appreciate 0