E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N51 rattle/pinging? sound

12-16-2018, 04:54 AM   #1
CameroN7887
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

N51 rattle/pinging? sound

Hello everybody, I've been chasing a rattle lately that starts around 1500 rpms and will go up to around 4-5000 rpms when accelerating in drive, or idling in park. When driving the rattle only occurs when I'm giving it gas, if I let off the throttle the sound disappears. I can make the sound happen just by giving it gas when I'm cruising on the highway in the ~2500 rpm range, although the wind noise makes it a lot quieter and I rarely hear it if I roll my window down while driving around. I pulled the upper DISA valve on the intake and the flap itself was solid, and the metal piece was still inside its hole with no problems. I pulled up INPA on my laptop and tested both DISA valves and they both checked out.

Tonight when I got home from work I popped the hood and revved it to see if I could hear the sound and it seemed to be coming from the intake side of the engine close to the firewall almost, like an exhaust bracket somewhere is loose or something? Weird thing is, some days it happens, some days it doesn't and it bothers me. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameroN7887 View Post
Hello everybody, I've been chasing a rattle lately that starts around 1500 rpms and will go up to around 4-5000 rpms when accelerating in drive, or idling in park. When driving the rattle only occurs when I'm giving it gas, if I let off the throttle the sound disappears. I can make the sound happen just by giving it gas when I'm cruising on the highway in the ~2500 rpm range, although the wind noise makes it a lot quieter and I rarely hear it if I roll my window down while driving around. I pulled the upper DISA valve on the intake and the flap itself was solid, and the metal piece was still inside its hole with no problems. I pulled up INPA on my laptop and tested both DISA valves and they both checked out.

Tonight when I got home from work I popped the hood and revved it to see if I could hear the sound and it seemed to be coming from the intake side of the engine close to the firewall almost, like an exhaust bracket somewhere is loose or something? Weird thing is, some days it happens, some days it doesn't and it bothers me. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
I had a noise it was the exhaust heat shield at the support beam that runs perpendicular to the length of the car. I supported the corroding heat shield with some sheet aluminum by removing the beam and reinstalling it
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Quote:

I had a noise it was the exhaust heat shield at the support beam that runs perpendicular to the length of the car. I supported the corroding heat shield with some sheet aluminum by removing the beam and reinstalling it
Thank you! Is it under the engine/behind the engine? Not very familiar with stuff like that!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you! Is it under the engine/behind the engine? Not very familiar with stuff like that!
It's under the car, below the exhaust, I wish I knew what it was called. I tapped on my exhaust shield and noticed it was a bit loose
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
CameroN7887
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's under the car, below the exhaust, I wish I knew what it was called. I tapped on my exhaust shield and noticed it was a bit loose
Gotcha thank you I'll have to get under there and start tapping around and report back if anything is loose
Appreciate 0