E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Traction Control for HPDE

03-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #67
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
I am not confused. You are just using the words too literally. BMW calls it an e-diff (electronic differential); therefore, that is what it is. I completely understand that our DIFFERENTIAL is open and it is not controlled electronically either. That is why I said argue with BMW lol. However, the "wheels" do NOT behave as if the diff is open because of the operation of the "e-diff," better?

Ford has a great "torque vectoring" system in the Focus RS. An ECU mounted on the differential electronically controls the mechanical clutches in the differential based on the torque signal and other variables. That seems to be the type of system you are confusing BMW's for.
BMW does not call it an E-Diff. I’m pretty sure that term along with eLSD originated on the forums. In BMW documentation and marketing it’s called ADB (Automatic Differential Braking). Ask someone who really drives their E90 if the diff behaves as the open diff it is and they’ll tell you yes, which is why LSD upgrades are popular.

Last edited by dsjr2006; 03-08-2018 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #68
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
BMW does not call it an E-Diff. I’m pretty sure that term along with eLSD originated on the forums. In BMW documentation and marketing it’s called ADB (Automatic Differential Braking). Ask someone who really drives their E90 if the diff behaves as the open diff it is and they’ll tell you yes, which is why LSD upgrades are popular.

You're right on that point. It is not referred to by BMW as "eLSD," e-diff," or "electronic differential." BMW simply calls the braking of the wheels a component of ESP, or, electronic stability control. I think we both understand what was meant though lol Oh, and, the entire industry refers to these types of braking wheels as eLSD... Read below for what GNK had to say about it...

https://www.pistonheads.com/features...rentials/25275

Last edited by bbnks2; 03-08-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #69
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

oh lol, so you guys are still arguing about this thing.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      03-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #70
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

I will share my experience from this weekend in regards to Traction/stability control.

First off, yes, it is a good idea starting out.

Be cautious though. It can lead to some REALLY bad habits.

I had a student this weekend that would have piled his car up if it were not for the stability control. But, it isn't what you think. He was actually using it to get him around corners. He would turn in wherever he felt like, mash the gas, and ride the stability braking around the corner. A couple of times he went in 90-100mph corners way to hot, cranked the wheel, and let stability do his braking. Honestly, it was terrifying.

It was actually kinda funny, because at one point, I was trying to explain how to find landmarks for turn in and brake markers, and he says, "It doesn't matter where I turn in, I always exit in the same spot." Yeah, I suppose if stability is on, that is a thing.

Honestly, the best place to learn the car without stability is autocross. It will let you get to know the dynamics of sliding/rotating the car, what it feels like to get out of shape, all in a low risk environment.

Also, once you figure things out, stability/TC is the WORST. Terrible for track and autocross.
Appreciate 6
feuer4274.50
justpete1231.00
bbnks21206.50
Biginboca3759.50
dsjr2006155.00
      06-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #71
Michaelwaito
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: Man

Traction Control for HPDE

Really broad topic here. Loosing control could mean your rear is starting to turn out on you or going backwards into a guardrail. How deep would you be in? And if you have 30 days of HPDE and still in MDM what are they teaching or not teaching?

Maybe try a different HPDE.
Appreciate 1