E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > May 29-31 Buttonwillow & Cal Speedway (BMW CCA)

05-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #89
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
so is this for bmw's only?
HELL F'ing NO.

the bmw club rents the facility and sells spots to club members. (bmw ownership is not required for membership) Bring whatever you wish to drive. Even a honda. Lots of non BMWs every event.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #90
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Any thoughts, comments, preferences for Falken 452 vs. Nitto NT555 vs. Yoko S Drive? I gotta get 4 new ones put on my stock 189 18s before this event?

Also, is there a prescribed or preferred mileage that I drive on the tires for a "break in" prior to track days or am I dreaming things up?
dude, if I were you, I'd buy Dascamel's set of wheels/tires. When you're through with them, you'll be able to recoup more than 1/2 your dollars.

4 wheels and tires for about 800ish.
v
4 new tires for 800ish.

If you pick up the extra set of wheels, you'll still have the runflat piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #91
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Any thoughts, comments, preferences for Falken 452 vs. Nitto NT555 vs. Yoko S Drive? I gotta get 4 new ones put on my stock 189 18s before this event?

Also, is there a prescribed or preferred mileage that I drive on the tires for a "break in" prior to track days or am I dreaming things up?
Out of that list, the s.Drive is probably the better all around choice. My experience with the Falken 452 was less than stellar (although it does make for quite fun trying to catch the tail end on the Z4R 3.0i at WSIR) although they lasted FOREVER, and from anecdotal discussions with fellow instructors, the NT555 falls a bit short on the performance side too.

For normal use, most manufacturers recommend approximately 500 miles of street driving before the tires are at their optimum grip levels. For the purpose of this discussion, all you really need are two "heat cycles" and approximately 50 miles to wear off the mold release before they can be "used," but it will likely take until Sunday before they're at their maximum grip level if you can't reach 500+ miles.

A heat cycle is when a set of tires are driven to their operating temperature and cooled down again to ambient temp. Two day's worth of a 15 minute high-way commute would do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #92
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Any thoughts, comments, preferences for Falken 452 vs. Nitto NT555 vs. Yoko S Drive?
I personally would not purchase any of those tires. they are too expensive to be a budget commuter tire and they don't stick enough to be DE tires
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #93
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e9x's View Post
Hi Chili Cheese -

These are all good questions. Please keep them coming!

The category of tires you are discussing are all roughly equivalent. I would pick the cheapest tire with the best daily driving ride characteristics. Any tire that is round, not cracked and basically safe will do fine for a beginner. For us mere mortals (excluding the yellow shirts) the 335i is SO much car that it is hard to extract 100%, even on a track. We will be more the limiting factor than the tires will be.

As for break-in there is a belief that the tires need to release some of their mold release grease. It usually takes about 100 miles of street driving to do that. A full tread depth tire will suffer more wear and tear on the track so the more miles you can put on them before the event the better.

I hope that helps.
Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
dude, if I were you, I'd buy Dascamel's set of wheels/tires. When you're through with them, you'll be able to recoup more than 1/2 your dollars.

4 wheels and tires for about 800ish.
v
4 new tires for 800ish.

If you pick up the extra set of wheels, you'll still have the runflat piece of mind.
Still considering the track set-up. I still have a lot of education ahead of me before I can make a smart decision I guess, but that's where you guys come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Out of that list, the s.Drive is probably the better all around choice. My experience with the Falken 452 was less than stellar (although it does make for quite fun trying to catch the tail end on the Z4R 3.0i at WSIR) although they lasted FOREVER, and from anecdotal discussions with fellow instructors, the NT555 falls a bit short on the performance side too.

For normal use, most manufacturers recommend approximately 500 miles of street driving before the tires are at their optimum grip levels. For the purpose of this discussion, all you really need are two "heat cycles" and approximately 50 miles to wear off the mold release before they can be "used," but it will likely take until Sunday before they're at their maximum grip level if you can't reach 500+ miles.

A heat cycle is when a set of tires are driven to their operating temperature and cooled down again to ambient temp. Two day's worth of a 15 minute high-way commute would do it.
Thank you for the comments. Most of what I've read scores the Falkens pretty well for the price compared to the other 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
I personally would not purchase any of those tires. they are too expensive to be a budget commuter tire and they don't stick enough to be DE tires
What do you recommend?

Thanks guys. You are all big studs.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #94
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Track Day Checklist

I've been looking/searching for a beginner's checklist for a few days, but haven't run accross something that I feel confident with.

Speed Ventures offers a checklist on their site with a huge list of crap that is recommended for their events...yikes (see attached).

Let's be realistic here; what do I really need at a minimum to survive my first HDPE weekend? I have the helmet and vehicle tech covered so far.

Do I need numbers, painter's tape, tire pressure gauge, tools, what? I don't want to come completely unprepared, but I don't want to have to spend a bundle either.
Attached Files
File Type: doc trackchecklist.doc (31.0 KB, 81 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #95
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

BMW CCA provides numbers, tape is handy to protect the front of the car. Tire pressure gauge is usefull, but can be borrowed. Paper towels, windex, yes. Other materials, up to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #96
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Let's be realistic here; what do I really need at a minimum to survive my first HDPE weekend? I have the helmet and vehicle tech covered so far.
Since you've already "made" a few friends here I suggest you find out who else is going, and hang around with them for the weekend.

As far as what's really needed, I always give this advice to newbies at the track. RELAX. Don't worry about what to bring and what not to bring. You'll find at these events, there are more than a few kind souls who's willing to lend a helping hand. For your first few events, do not be embarrassed to ask your neighbor to borrow their torque wrench, tire pressure gauge, paper towel, or whatever you may need throughout the day. STOP thinking about what you need to do to prepare a brand new BMW for track use.

Show up. Relax. Learn. Drive. If you are not relaxed you will feel tired and burnt out by the end of the day. The more you think the less you learn.

The ONLY thing you'll need to bring, are sun-screen, maybe a fold-able chair, some water, and a willing attitude to have fun. In the next few events you'll learn what else you'll need to bring to not have to borrow stuff from neighbors, and eventually YOU will be lending your torque wrench and tire pressure gauge to the newbie next to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #97
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Thanks again guys. I'll keep it simple as suggested. I'm really looking forward to this!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #98
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
I've been looking/searching for a beginner's checklist for a few days, but haven't run accross something that I feel confident with.

Speed Ventures offers a checklist on their site with a huge list of crap that is recommended for their events...yikes (see attached).

Do I need numbers, painter's tape, tire pressure gauge, tools, what? I don't want to come completely unprepared, but I don't want to have to spend a bundle either.

I wrote this back in 2000...but most of it applies...let me know if you have more questions..I have about 125 track days so far.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc9.shtml

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #99
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Very helpful, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #100
The HACK
Rep

As far as what tires to get, it's getting very close to the event and if you haven't made a decision yet, I'd go back to my original recommendation of the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. Probably the best all around street tire money can buy.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #101
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but you should have the track memorized before you even drive it from watching video and looking at the map. (and bring the map with you)

also, snacks at the track is usually a huge amusement park style rip off. i bring energy bars so i can be cheap.

also, i am in the minority but i recommend another set of the stock RE050A II RFT. if i were forced to switch to a non run flat tire i would try kumho xs. new tire that supposedly has a ton of grip (they were the fastest tire in a recent GRM test with RE11 and dunlop star spec i believe)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #102
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

From your list, I would say the only must have is a tire pressure gauge just to keep the tires in check.. Anything esle you need you can borrow from one of guys at the track...
Seriosulsly dude, stop worrying so much and JUST SHOW UP !!!

Both Satakal and I have portable air pumps if you need to inflate your tires, Satakal usually brings his jack and tools also... He is very helpful and always willing to help out
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #103
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
As far as what tires to get, it's getting very close to the event and if you haven't made a decision yet, I'd go back to my original recommendation of the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. Probably the best all around street tire money can buy.
Getting Falken 452s mounted on Wed. The Dunlops would have been nice, but couldn't part with the additional cash this time around.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #104
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
From your list, I would say the only must have is a tire pressure gauge just to keep the tires in check.. Anything esle you need you can borrow from one of guys at the track...
Seriosulsly dude, stop worrying so much and JUST SHOW UP !!!

Both Satakal and I have portable air pumps if you need to inflate your tires, Satakal usually brings his jack and tools also... He is very helpful and always willing to help out
Bro, not worrying, just like to be prepared. I guess that's the Engineer in me. Plus I'm really pumped about this.

Regarding any tools and other items, yes I figured I should first see what's required/works best through others and get recommendations before pulling the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #105
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Also remember this... Most instructors are pretty cool, and very good teachers...
Golden lessons for a newbie:

1. Always always listen to what your instructor is saying
2. Take it slow at first, instructors always want to see smoothness above foolish speed
3. Make the instructor feel at ease, you do not want him/him feeling that you are a loose out of control canon that will put their life in danger.
4. As you build up your confidence and learn the track and the lines, and become smoother and smoother, the instructor will encourage you to start building pace
5. Go too fast too soon, and you will have a nevrvous instructor telling you to slow down the whole day...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #106
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Are you instructing?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #107
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Go too fast too soon, and you will have a nevrvous instructor telling you to slow down the whole day...
Aint that the truth...

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #108
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

still bouncing this around for the 29th. Cost is a bit more than I pay for BW, but I've never been to a bmwcca event, so I'd like to check it out. My gf did mention that she'd pay my entrance for my b-day, but since she doesn't usually go, I'd rather her spend the money on something else that we could do together.

I still just may go anyway, as I have a "float" day coming up that I can use for the 29th. I only need to change rotors and oil on the honda to to be ready, which I can do this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #109
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
still bouncing this around for the 29th. Cost is a bit more than I pay for BW, but I've never been to a bmwcca event, so I'd like to check it out. My gf did mention that she'd pay my entrance for my b-day, but since she doesn't usually go, I'd rather her spend the money on something else that we could do together.

I still just may go anyway, as I have a "float" day coming up that I can use for the 29th. I only need to change rotors and oil on the honda to to be ready, which I can do this weekend.
What organizations are you used to running with? If you've been to the track a few times already and have never done a BMW CCA event, you may find their "structure" a little on the rigid side. You get 4 25 minute sessions in the day, with controlled passing zones (at Buttonwillow it will likely be on the front straight, past Buttonhook and before Cotton Corners, past Magic Mountain before the Sweeper or Star Mazda), with passing on a point-by only. Since you've never driven with the CCA, you will likely be placed in a lower speed run-group since they have no data as to who you are and what your experience level is like. Unless you can list a slew of events with big organizations like NASA, it may be a little frustrating trying to navigate around slower cars in C or D.

Not trying to dissuade you, in fact I think you will probably still have a great time, and find the in-car instruction in the CCA probably second to none. But if you're used to running solo, just be aware that they WILL stick an instructor in your driver's seat for the first 3 laps of the first session, and you will have that same instructor in your passenger seat for at least 2 full sessions and unless you can demonstrate incredible consistency and excellent judgment, you are not likely to be signed off to go solo (which could be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective). And that's why the CCA events are much more expensive, they figured, for the amount of money you pay, you might as well have an instructor with you at all times to get your money's worth.

If you're really on the fence, it may not be a bad idea to sign up and just get an assessment from your passenger as to where they think you can improve. You'd be very surprised at what you can pick up.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #110
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

I usually run with Speed Ventures, West Coast Racing, Nasa, and a friend of mine also runs private events once or twice a year. I've also instructed for a VW/Audi organization for a couple of years (until they disbanded) and said friend's private events a few times as well. I've run events in race groups with open passing before, but it's not the norm, and I am fine with point by's, especially if there are a lot of cars out there. I usually run in the advanced groups, but I don't mind someone riding with me, as I often take passengers/friends, but I do like to get my money's worth as far as seat time.
Appreciate 0