E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > "Safe" software to code FRM3?

12-26-2022, 06:05 PM   #1
GabeMG
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

"Safe" software to code FRM3?

I have the problematic FRM3. I want to change some settings to do with my DRLs, however apps like Bimercode won't even open the FRM module due to it recognizing it as one of the problematic versions. The module does open in other phone apps like Carista, but I'm afraid of causing an issue.

Is there a software that's known to be "safe" for coding the FRM3?

I've heard of people using NCS expert, but I don't know if that's any better than the apps I have.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 02:21 AM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

There is no “safe” option, meaning that if the frm is faulty then any software you use will brick it. (Keep in mind not all Frm3’s are faulty) If you wanna test if the frm is okay to use any of the software with just unplug the negative terminal and reconnect it. If your turn signals and front windows don’t work and you have “electrical malfunction” display on the idrive then the frm is dead and would’ve died on you after coding it. If the car is normal after reconnecting negative terminal then it’s safe to code with any software. If the frm dies you can send it out for repair or purchase a replacement unit.

Use ncs expert so you don’t have to go through the trouble of force coding with an app.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 02:26 AM   #3
GabeMG
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
If you wanna test if the frm is okay to use any of the software with just unplug the negative terminal and reconnect it. If your turn signals and front windows don’t work and you have “electrical malfunction” display on the idrive then the frm is dead and would’ve died on you after coding it. If the car is normal after reconnecting negative terminal then it’s safe to code with any software.
Hey that’s great to know! I recently had to disconnect my battery three or four times while doing an audio system installation, so I can confirm it all works!

What do you mean when you say that apps force code it?

Can you share any good tutorials for ncs expert? My main goal is to change the DRLs and disable fog light bulb codes
Appreciate 0