E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335is Track Mods

01-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #23
Patronus86
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Why have the added complexity? Why cover up the primary radiator with yet another secondary oil cooler, thereby making the radiator less efficient? Why have additional pressure loss associated with more complex plumbing and restrictions?
Ok...still hasn't answered my question. Why is having a secondary oil cooler considered more complex? Why does that add to the pressure lost and how is that bad? I genuinely don't know the con's to this kind of setup...that's why I asked.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
yomny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335is 6spd

Thinking about it in my head only tells me that using a secondary oil cooler will add additional plumbing work and more possibilities of something going wrong. why more complex you ask, simple, two coolers are more complex that one cooler, two sets of cores with four lines and additional fittings. Maybe the stock pump isn't ideal to supply to two different coolers with two sets of oil lines. If you have a pressure for example of 40psi entering point A and this pressure has to run through a 4 foot line, the outcome pressure may be 30psi, now if you add 20 feet of line, the pressure at the end may be 10 due to the length of travel. I'm no engineer but perhaps one could explain how this pressure loss thing works.
Appreciate 0