E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Dinan N55 Tune????

06-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Kramzz335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
Dinan N55 Tune????

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone out there has the newly released engine tune from Dinan for the N55, or at least has herd of anyone with it. I am considering investing in this tune. Sounds like a solid deal to me. 55+hp and 100+tq gains. Thanks

2011 Le Mans Blue 335i M-Sport Oyster
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

For those gains just get the PPK... Dinan is very conservative and when I had the PPK it was pretty good.

Coming soon to the garage: 2014 M3 Maybe M5
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
MoBounce
Mmmmmm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e93

LOVE my Dinan tune. It seriously woke up the car. Reliability, more power than PPK and full warranty match. Peace of mind. I'd pay for it again. Just my opinion.
      06-10-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
tamster00
Uhh, Hi =)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 335i, 12' Fit Sport

Dinan stage 2 is great, but for 2k, it's a bit steep. With that much money, a good downpipe, charge pipe and either procede/bms piggyback or AA tune would make more power.

Now - 11' E90 335i Performance Edition|Space Gray Metallic|Sport|Premium|Navigation|Steptronic|JB4|E R Charge Pipe|HP Autowerks Foam Filter
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBounce
LOVE my Dinan tune. It seriously woke up the car. Reliability, more power than PPK and full warranty match. Peace of mind. I'd pay for it again. Just my opinion.
Dinan tune is not worth the price, if it were in the 900-1200 range it would be a different story... Also BMW dealers can not perform software upgrades without letting you know a visit to dinan will be needed to get your car tuned again...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
MoBounce
Mmmmmm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22
Quote:
Dinan tune is not worth the price, if it were in the 900-1200 range it would be a different story... Also BMW dealers can not perform software upgrades without letting you know a visit to dinan will be needed to get your car tuned again...
It's mainly dealers who provide the Dinan tune. And how often will you need a ecu software update. Rarely. You are paying for peace of mind knowing you are 100% covered for repairs with the tune. Period.
      06-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

I have also read that BMW slightly detunes the PPK for manual transmission and DCT cars.

I have not read whether or not Dinan does this. I may be ordering a new 135i later this year and want the DCT so this may play into my decision.

Dave

Former car: 2007 335i coupe JB3
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
mlbgoat
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I just picked up a brand new 335i last week. I test drove it stock, and the salesman told me about Dinan. I did some research, and found the salesman wasnt bs-ing me.

There arent not many modifications you can do for under 2k that can increase torque by 101. The torque gains alone make the car a rocket. Trust me. After the dealer cleaned the car and loaded Dinan's stage two, the saleman was dying to drive it and see the difference, and he was blown away. The car just plain pulls so much harder now. I dont have hard numbers to prove it, but there is no doubt a huge difference.
The technician who installed the software promised me that the upgrade would make me forget I couldnt afford a M3, and so far he was right.

I will call Dinan on Monday and verify the claim that I need to reprogram it...but nothing on the web site says anything about that.

I came over from the domestic pony cars, and there isnt any single mod at $1700 that can net you that much gain for them either.

If you can afford it, do it! You wont regret it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22
Quote:
It's mainly dealers who provide the Dinan tune. And how often will you need a ecu software update. Rarely. You are paying for peace of mind knowing you are 100% covered for repairs with the tune. Period.
I have not found one BMW dealer in the Tri state area that would perform, let alone support a Dinan tune. Does anyone from the Tri state area know of a dealer who would do this?

Currently I have the PPK. Does anyone know if Stage 2 parts are worth it if you already have the PPK stage one?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbgoat
I just picked up a brand new 335i last week. I test drove it stock, and the salesman told me about Dinan. I did some research, and found the salesman wasnt bs-ing me.

There arent not many modifications you can do for under 2k that can increase torque by 101. The torque gains alone make the car a rocket. Trust me. After the dealer cleaned the car and loaded Dinan's stage two, the saleman was dying to drive it and see the difference, and he was blown away. The car just plain pulls so much harder now. I dont have hard numbers to prove it, but there is no doubt a huge difference.
The technician who installed the software promised me that the upgrade would make me forget I couldnt afford a M3, and so far he was right.

I will call Dinan on Monday and verify the claim that I need to reprogram it...but nothing on the web site says anything about that.

I came over from the domestic pony cars, and there isnt any single mod at $1700 that can net you that much gain for them either.

If you can afford it, do it! You wont regret it.
Where are you located? Curious where the dealers are in the Tri state that would do this!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
mlbgoat
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

San Diego...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

"Will the chip hurt my engine?"
"yes and no"...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
I have not found one BMW dealer in the Tri state area that would perform, let alone support a Dinan tune. Does anyone from the Tri state area know of a dealer who would do this?

Currently I have the PPK. Does anyone know if Stage 2 parts are worth it if you already have the PPK stage one?
Habberstad in LI, NY.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
tamster00
Uhh, Hi =)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 335i, 12' Fit Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
"Will the chip hurt my engine?"
"yes and no"...
It shouldn't hurt the engine and since it's warrantied on the 4yr/50k miles, should be fine. It will however hurt your pocket

Now - 11' E90 335i Performance Edition|Space Gray Metallic|Sport|Premium|Navigation|Steptronic|JB4|E R Charge Pipe|HP Autowerks Foam Filter
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Hey that's fine man- for that amount of torque and HP I'd be all in. However I don't see how my local BMW dealership would "support" it. Two already said no
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #16
MoBounce
Mmmmmm3
United_States
Rep

If you do not have the Dinan stage 2 tune and drive with it daily, its difficult to take you seriously on downing its performance or Dinan's backing of their product.

I had mine done at Motor Works West... but here are the many dealerships within 50 miles of Edgewater, NJ. (where I live) that sell, support and ENCOURAGE Dinan products and tunes.

For me, PPK wasn't an option since I don't have the 335is, the dealer won't install it. 3 different dealers all suggested Dinan (even the non-dinan dealerships)

If the tune causes any issues with the car that the dealership determines was because of the tune... the dealership contacts Dinan and they cut a check. It's only happened a handful of times from what I was told from the Dinan rep. The warranty is what you are paying a premium for. And for some, it is worth it. Me being one of them.
Attached Images

06-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #17
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

I have had the Dinan Stage Ii tune from the beginning. It is very much worth the money. I find it ironic that guys who spend the money it takes to buy a BMW go cheap on something as important as a tune.

Stop making this a tuner value debate as this is not the situation. Dinan is the only tuner willing to out their money where their mouth is. Why do none of the other tuners offer any kind of warranty? The reasons are self evident. Dinan is more conservative than other tunes in terms of its horsepower but not its torque.

If you don't mind burning out your engine, or needing to prematurely replace turbos and others key parts of your powertrain by all means go get a more cost effective, high boost tune. But isn't that what an M3 is for?

Active Autowerkes makes a great tune fir the N55 as well. It is cheaper than Dinan but allot more than the piggyback. But has no warranty. Cobb will come out with one in the similar price range I am sure.
      06-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
Kramzz335i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
I have had the Dinan Stage Ii tune from the beginning. It is very much worth the money. I find it ironic that guys who spend the money it takes to buy a BMW go cheap on something as important as a tune.

Stop making this a tuner value debate as this is not the situation. Dinan is the only tuner willing to out their money where their mouth is. Why do none of the other tuners offer any kind of warranty? The reasons are self evident. Dinan is more conservative than other tunes in terms of its horsepower but not its torque.

If you don't mind burning out your engine, or needing to prematurely replace turbos and others key parts of your powertrain by all means go get a more cost effective, high boost tune. But isn't that what an M3 is for?

Active Autowerkes makes a great tune fir the N55 as well. It is cheaper than Dinan but allot more than the piggyback. But has no warranty. Cobb will come out with one in the similar price range I am sure.

After reading everyones response, i feel that your the only person on the same page as me. I don't want to buy some cheap plug and play tune without a warranty. Its too easy for something to go wrong internally, eventually costing thousands. I really appreciate your opinion on this. And as you said, why go cheap if your buying a $50,000+ car??? I'm not afraid to spend a little extra money. Also, i'm not concerned about HP, i'm more of a torque guy anyways. Again, thanks for being a logical person.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #19
Kramzz335i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
Habberstad in LI, NY.
gotta love Habberstad, bought all my cars there

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #20
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you do not have the Dinan stage 2 tune and drive with it daily, its difficult to take you seriously on downing its performance or Dinan's backing of their product.

I had mine done at Motor Works West... but here are the many dealerships within 50 miles of Edgewater, NJ. (where I live) that sell, support and ENCOURAGE Dinan products and tunes.

For me, PPK wasn't an option since I don't have the 335is, the dealer won't install it. 3 different dealers all suggested Dinan (even the non-dinan dealerships)

If the tune causes any issues with the car that the dealership determines was because of the tune... the dealership contacts Dinan and they cut a check. It's only happened a handful of times from what I was told from the Dinan rep. The warranty is what you are paying a premium for. And for some, it is worth it. Me being one of them.
I definitely think the performance and price point are fine- my only concern was with the "warranty" I've been hearing about. Simply just a lack of knowing, and having two dealers say lol whut we don't support Dinan...maybe they need to be educated. I plan on keeping this 335 for quite some time, so price point is not at all a factor for a tune that would be backed lock stock and barrel by a BMW dealer as you say.

Excellent info Mo - I'll check that list out this week!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
Dinan is more conservative than other tunes in terms of its horsepower but not its torque.

the rest of the post is quite dramatic, but id like to ask about this comment

since hp is a function of torque, how can you increase torque while selectively not increase hp?

the dinan tune makes less power than the other tunes because it makes less tq and less hp. it cant make the same tq and less hp, that is not physically possible.

http://www.elephantracing.com/techtopic/hpvstorque.htm

there are many justifications for choosing a dinan tune, but your comments above arent one of them
      06-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #22
Shahdog
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i mSport Sedan E90 N55

Garage List
2011 335i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramzz335i
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone out there has the newly released engine tune from Dinan for the N55, or at least has herd of anyone with it. I am considering investing in this tune. Sounds like a solid deal to me. 55+hp and 100+tq gains. Thanks
Dinan 2 is great for n54

But is it great for n55?

PPK is conservatively rated
320 hp 332 tq
Dealer can't tell you anything

Dinan is perhaps slightly overrated
355 hp 401 tq
Could be involved in dispute between Bmw and dinan without a loaner car in process

Doesn't mean dinan is bad
Just PPK has a lot of good value

I own PPK

Have not tried dinan

Anyone with n55 PPK
Upgrade to dinan 2?
Lux H8 , HID Fog lights 5k
Appreciate 0