E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Rear drive shaft problem

10-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

Rear drive shaft problem

Just after a little bit of technical advice. I have a strange noise. It sounds like a brake pad touching the disc in one place, kind of like a woosh woosh (or shhh shhh) noise. The noise is only when turning right at relatively low speeds like taking a corner with minimal braking. It is definitely coming from the rear, driver's side wheel area.

I took it to the dealer and they are saying it's highly likely (he said he's very sure) from the rear drive shaft (diff to wheel). However, the boots are all intact, no leaks, the joints are in good condition apparently, but there is some corrosion. The dealer would like to replace the offending drive shaft.

So the question is, what other parts move on the rear drive shaft, apart from the joints which could make this noise.

They won't accept a claim under the insured warranty due to the presence of corrosion but they cost the part at £450 alone with no guarantee it'll cure the noise. The obvious thought is that it's a wheel bearing but I know nothing about the rear drive shaft construction.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by wallsmk2; 10-23-2013 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep

On closer inspection all the cv boots look perfect so I can't see this as being the issue. I now have a feeling the reluctor/ABS ring has some corrosion on it and causing the rubbing noise, perhaps rubbing on the hub or ABS sensor. The rings are only supplied as part of the drive shaft but can be bought from other suppliers. This seems to be an issue on older models but I've not heard of the problem on the e90 yet.

On the off chance I'll ask though...anyone had issues with the reluctor/ABS ring and replaced it. Any reliable suppliers out there?

The funny bit was when the dealer gave me an estimated bill of close to £1000 to remove a bit of rust. I have just got a clutch replaced on the Dino at a Ferrari dealer for less than that.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
surrey 335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i E91 sport, 123d + others

I've had a similar noise on the rear of my 335i can only be heard on low speed 2nd gear tight corners with the window open, have not got round to finding out what it is yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep

Similar then. It appears the rings expand when they corrode eventually taking out the abs sensor with the dash thinking Christmas has come early. BMW initial explanation was the drive shaft was damaged so replace. There must be many out there who just lap up their advice effectively burning their money.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

Sounds iffy to me,I've never seen a driveshaft replaced on an e9x in the couple years I've work for BM.My suspicion (and I see this a lot) is the brake shoes scuffing the inside if the disc due to build up of corrosion/lack of use.Does the noise alter when you pull the handbrake on very slightly when driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep

yes, I was definitely hesitant it has anything to do with the drive shaft but they've had the caliper off so it's something other than the brakes. Can't fault the dealership though, they haven't charged a penny for diagnoses or the use of their car.

The problem appears on the 1 series though with 2004/2005 cars affected. The guys who make the abs rings sell a lot for this model to scotland apparently. Mine is a 2006 and spent the beginning of its life in yorkshire so salty roads may start to have an impact. Although the underside is in pretty good nick the ends of the shafts past the cv joint are rusting.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Can still be the handbrake shoes as these are inside the disc and removing the calliper would not rule this out.
Kris
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep

definitely could be the handbrake shoes. When I spin the rear wheels in neutral with the handbrake off there is still some light scratching/resistance as if the brake pads are ever so slightly resting on the disc. There is then this specific point where it is noticeably louder - and which is causing the shhh shhh noise. The caliper is new and not sticking. Is this normal, ie the general resistance when spinning the wheel? or should it spin freely?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep

Should spin without any noises.The inside face of the discs where the shoes make contact are prone to corrode badly and this build up causes a chaffing noise.
Back off the adjustment ,remove the disc on the affected side and see if it still makes noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep

well I removed the abs sensor to see whether any build up of rust is causing the rubbing perhaps on the sensor. Rubbing is still there with the sensor removed and although there are a couple of scratches on the end of the sensor, it doesn't look like it's being worn down. There was a lot of gritty crap I have cleaned out by sticking a rag wrapped screw driver down the hole, but noise is still there.

So I took the car out for a slow run with the handbrake very lightly on, to see whether this would clear out any corrosion. It appears the noise has gone away for now, although these things have a habit of returning. I guess a clean up of the shoes, back plate etc would be the next step. Will update for others who have the same noises.

Many thanks for the pointers.
Appreciate 1
tomgrey11.50
      10-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #11
BronzeWarrior
Rep
Drives: 328I Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Driveshaft squeaking

2007 328i coupe, 201,000 miles.

A few days ago I started noticing a squeaking coming from my drivers side rear wheel thinking it was something pressing on rotor. It only happened at 1-2 mph in reverse, with/without using the brakes. I took the wheel off and inspected everything, no issues what so ever. Took it to my buddies shop today, turns out the sound was coming from the U joint center piece of the driveshaft.

Apparently it's sealed and over time wear and tear and the grease goes. Unfortunately you can't just buy that 1 piece. The whole unit has to be replaced. Since I don't plan on keeping this car for a few more years I'm looking for an aftermarket part, and not pay $1200+. Found 1 on buyautoparts...com for $500. Hopefully this fits and there's no issues.
Appreciate 0