E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > ISTA/P: Coding DSC and SZL

08-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Tyetiger
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi MperorTuning Stage 2

ISTA/P: Coding DSC and SZL

I replaced my failed DSC with a used one and I also replaced my SZL with a new angle sensor. I still have an error for my Speed Sensor not working. I tried replacing it and even had Indy shop do a full diag on the wheel bearing and Ring and they have stated there is nothing wrong with them. They state all indications point the DSC or DSC sensor.

I have been having all sorts of problems trying to code the DSC and SZL. I finally was able to "program" the correct VIN with ISTA/P to the DSC but it wont like me "Encode" it, see picture. Im also not able to calibrate the SZL. Ive tried Tool32 to calibrate but i get an error stating the conditions arent right. Ista+ nor Ista/p wont work either.

Has anyone had this problem or have an idea what it can be?
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip Results.zip (310.7 KB, 251 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:00 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

What fault codes are present? Ditch ISTA /P

- Find out what fault codes are present.
- Default code the DSC with NCSExpert
- Perform Steering angle adjustment with ISTA D
- Perform DSC adjustment with ISTA D

done.
Appreciate 1
LMB335IS1295.00
      09-27-2018, 07:19 AM   #3
cjdzombie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i xDrive, M Sport

I'm having trouble finding a working download link. Can someone message me a link?
      09-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

Tool 32 and reset the SZL. Then default code the DSC in NCExpert with a clean .MAN file. then go back into INPA and clear codes. this should fix everyhting
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
perth1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi,
I'm new to BMW coding, but have done some diagnostics and programming of keys and modules on other makes previously.

My older E90 has recently had a full DIY makeover; I have been collecting parts for some years now, and finally got it running with a year 2012 S65 M3 drivetrain and wiring harness, where I have swapped all modules from an M3 wreck into another base model body shell. My car is now driveable, but I am fixing some VIN mismatches since one seat, and DSC were crushed in the wreck and are bought second-hand from other vehicles to complete the parts from the wreck. One of the remaining tasks is programming of correct VIN in the DSC. (At this point I intend to run my car with all modules showing the VIN from the parts donor vehicle, I'm not attempting to update ALL modules to my body shell physical VIN at this point, perhaps in the future).

I've been using ProTool for about 2 days now. (The diagnostics license, not yet the Coding license). The advertising for ProTool is suggesting it could do most things, but perhaps not?

I have managed to change to matching VIN in the Roof module, and change to matching VIN in the driver seat module with the ProTool. I have used a $20 cable from China, and it has worked ok so far.

But I have noticed one surprising thing about my car, when I turn on the ignition it appears as if it doesn't wake up the DSC module and Park Assist Module. Only after I start the engine the scan tool can 'find' these modules. It seems to be an issue with my car, not with ProTool, as the same happens when I try a year 2012 version of INPA also.

(Key pushed in /ignition on = I can see 19 modules). (Start button ON, engine running, I can see 21 modules). I though I should be able to see the DSC just by pushing in the key in the key without engine running? Can someone confirm if this is normal, or a fault with my car? Do I need to enter any special programming mode to wake up all modules? (or is that one of the differences between a $20 cable and professional programming interface?)

The second hand DSC module still has a different VIN and is not operational due to the VIN difference. Anyway, when the car is running I can read live data and other parameters from it. However I can't manage to replace VIN in the DSC module by using ProTool. It says 'successful', but the VIN remains the same.

Today I have done electric trouble shooting of the wiring and fuses, to confirm all fuses etc are OK. There are 3 different power supplies to the DSC, two thick wires, and one small wire. I found that these are all powered with 12V at all times. (perhaps not when the entire car goes fully asleep) So my measurements today confirms the supplies to the DSC are working, and are alive even before the key is put into the slot. Therefore it looks like some 'wake-up' problem?
If anyone has ideas that would be helpful.

Today I have replaced a faulty front wheel speed sensor, so the errors from the DSC are now cleared, except for two errors for 'calibration of pressure sensors'.
My next attempt will be to try to write correct VIN with Tool32 or WinKFP to the module while the car is running? Not sure if its a good idea, but one of the next things I can think of.

The second-hand DSC shows the following data: Hardware: DSC_87, ZB# 7846816, software date 06.12.2011. It is same make 'ATE' as my original module, and came out of a LHD M3 in the US. (Mine is RHD, but shouldn't make a difference).
Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth1 View Post
Hi,
I'm new to BMW coding, but have done some diagnostics and programming of keys and modules on other makes previously.

My older E90 has recently had a full DIY makeover; I have been collecting parts for some years now, and finally got it running with a year 2012 S65 M3 drivetrain and wiring harness, where I have swapped all modules from an M3 wreck into another base model body shell. My car is now driveable, but I am fixing some VIN mismatches since one seat, and DSC were crushed in the wreck and are bought second-hand from other vehicles to complete the parts from the wreck. One of the remaining tasks is programming of correct VIN in the DSC. (At this point I intend to run my car with all modules showing the VIN from the parts donor vehicle, I'm not attempting to update ALL modules to my body shell physical VIN at this point, perhaps in the future).

I've been using ProTool for about 2 days now. (The diagnostics license, not yet the Coding license). The advertising for ProTool is suggesting it could do most things, but perhaps not?

I have managed to change to matching VIN in the Roof module, and change to matching VIN in the driver seat module with the ProTool. I have used a $20 cable from China, and it has worked ok so far.

But I have noticed one surprising thing about my car, when I turn on the ignition it appears as if it doesn't wake up the DSC module and Park Assist Module. Only after I start the engine the scan tool can 'find' these modules. It seems to be an issue with my car, not with ProTool, as the same happens when I try a year 2012 version of INPA also.

(Key pushed in /ignition on = I can see 19 modules). (Start button ON, engine running, I can see 21 modules). I though I should be able to see the DSC just by pushing in the key in the key without engine running? Can someone confirm if this is normal, or a fault with my car? Do I need to enter any special programming mode to wake up all modules? (or is that one of the differences between a $20 cable and professional programming interface?)

The second hand DSC module still has a different VIN and is not operational due to the VIN difference. Anyway, when the car is running I can read live data and other parameters from it. However I can't manage to replace VIN in the DSC module by using ProTool. It says 'successful', but the VIN remains the same.

Today I have done electric trouble shooting of the wiring and fuses, to confirm all fuses etc are OK. There are 3 different power supplies to the DSC, two thick wires, and one small wire. I found that these are all powered with 12V at all times. (perhaps not when the entire car goes fully asleep) So my measurements today confirms the supplies to the DSC are working, and are alive even before the key is put into the slot. Therefore it looks like some 'wake-up' problem?
If anyone has ideas that would be helpful.

Today I have replaced a faulty front wheel speed sensor, so the errors from the DSC are now cleared, except for two errors for 'calibration of pressure sensors'.
My next attempt will be to try to write correct VIN with Tool32 or WinKFP to the module while the car is running? Not sure if its a good idea, but one of the next things I can think of.

The second-hand DSC shows the following data: Hardware: DSC_87, ZB# 7846816, software date 06.12.2011. It is same make 'ATE' as my original module, and came out of a LHD M3 in the US. (Mine is RHD, but shouldn't make a difference).
Cheers,
Ok, I think I understand what you are trying to do.

The vin is not really important. But Change it with Tool32 if you wish.

Re DSC you should code this with NCS Expert to the default Vehicle Order (FA) so that the DSC take the correct options for whatever VO you are using.

Once DSC is coded correctly, clear any fault codes then with ISTA D (Rheingold) perform the Steering Angle Sensor adjustment.

Once this is done, perform the DSC Adjustment routine with ISTA D. May take a couple of goes. (Try with engine running). If it fails repeatedly the ABS pump is knackered. By a used DSC / ABS unit off eBay and swap the pump over.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
tool32,
dsc_87.prg
'c_fg_schreiben' and 'c_fg_auftrag'
Both use your VIN as argument + checksum digit (u can find it in ncsexpert)

then wheels straight
and run lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen without argument
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
perth1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi again,
Thanks for replies.
Tool 32 seem to have done the job. It came back with OKAY, and the error 5E1F for 'Incorrect VIN' has gone away.

Now I still have two errors for calibration of valves:
5DD2: Hydraulic Unit: calibration, DSC unit (valves), and;
5DD0: Hydraulic Unit: calibration, DSC unit (valves).

If I understand right that requires ISTA-D. I haven't installed that program yet.
Any chance it can it be done with INPA?
Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #9
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi again,
Thanks for replies.
Tool 32 seem to have done the job. It came back with OKAY, and the error 5E1F for 'Incorrect VIN' has gone away.

If I understand right that requires ISTA-D. I haven't installed that program yet.
Cheers,
INPA can do it I think buts it's much easier with ISTA D. I already told you. Perform DSC Adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:21 PM   #10
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

Interesting

I also had this "Global Comm Error" while trying to code a shorter oil interval to the DME/DDE. Does anyone have any tips? What causes the error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyetiger View Post
I replaced my failed DSC with a used one and I also replaced my SZL with a new angle sensor. I still have an error for my Speed Sensor not working. I tried replacing it and even had Indy shop do a full diag on the wheel bearing and Ring and they have stated there is nothing wrong with them. They state all indications point the DSC or DSC sensor.

I have been having all sorts of problems trying to code the DSC and SZL. I finally was able to "program" the correct VIN with ISTA/P to the DSC but it wont like me "Encode" it, see picture. Im also not able to calibrate the SZL. Ive tried Tool32 to calibrate but i get an error stating the conditions arent right. Ista+ nor Ista/p wont work either.

Has anyone had this problem or have an idea what it can be?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #11
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3

Quote:
Hi again,
Thanks for replies.

Cheers,
Late to the party but hopefully still relevant. Did you ever solve your issues? I have a persistent 5DD0 (started with me troubleshooting a soft pedal issue but was triggered after a failed dsc calibration attempt). I'm still failing after the the dsc sensor calibrates. Master, booster and abs pump already replaced.

Curious how it went for you. Never dealt with such a finicky car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:14 AM   #12
The_IMF
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroklai View Post
Late to the party but hopefully still relevant. Did you ever solve your issues? I have a persistent 5DD0 (started with me troubleshooting a soft pedal issue but was triggered after a failed dsc calibration attempt). I'm still failing after the the dsc sensor calibrates. Master, booster and abs pump already replaced.

Curious how it went for you. Never dealt with such a finicky car.
Hi, sorry to resurrect a post that's 2 years old but in all my googling, this is the closest post that I've found to my issue!

Everything was fine but tried ISTA D for the soft brake pedal and now I have 5DD0. Using ISTA keeps failing on configuring the DSC on the second step.

Did you ever resolve this?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:52 AM   #13
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_IMF View Post
Hi, sorry to resurrect a post that's 2 years old but in all my googling, this is the closest post that I've found to my issue!

Everything was fine but tried ISTA D for the soft brake pedal and now I have 5DD0. Using ISTA keeps failing on configuring the DSC on the second step.

Did you ever resolve this?
I did resolve it but don't recall exactly what it was. What I do know is I did not replace any additional parts.

It's going to be a combination of more bleeding to get air out of the pump, calibrating the steering angle, and more dsc calibrations.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #14
The_IMF
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I did resolve it but don't recall exactly what it was. What I do know is I did not replace any additional parts.

It's going to be a combination of more bleeding to get air out of the pump, calibrating the steering angle, and more dsc calibrations.
Thanks buddy. Someone else told me to replace the master cylinder and I was about to cry. I'm sure there's air in there somewhere so I'll keep bleeding it. Wish brake fluid was a bit cheaper, already gone through about 4 litres during regular pressure bleeding

I know it was a while ago - do you remmeber if ISTA failing for you on the second step as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #15
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately, it could be a lot of things. My story is similar in that it all started with me chasing a soft pedal. My theory is that I overheated the fluid and boiled it which allowed air in the lines.

Since that, I replaced the master cylinder twice (first one failed), abs pump once, brake booster twice (mine was leaking and second one failed) and only after a lot of brake fluid flushes (pressure method, manual method, pressure+ista, reverse flush) I was able to get it all corrected.

The design and pathways of the brake lines make it easy for air to get trapped somewhere. If you have enough air, you will trigger that dsc error. Check for leaks too as it may be that simple.

I also recommend the one way caliper valves to avoid air returning back into the lines.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 04:54 PM   #16
The_IMF
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, it could be a lot of things. My story is similar in that it all started with me chasing a soft pedal. My theory is that I overheated the fluid and boiled it which allowed air in the lines.

Since that, I replaced the master cylinder twice (first one failed), abs pump once, brake booster twice (mine was leaking and second one failed) and only after a lot of brake fluid flushes (pressure method, manual method, pressure+ista, reverse flush) I was able to get it all corrected.

The design and pathways of the brake lines make it easy for air to get trapped somewhere. If you have enough air, you will trigger that dsc error. Check for leaks too as it may be that simple.

I also recommend the one way caliper valves to avoid air returning back into the lines.
Thanks for the advice.

I just did 4 hours of bleeding today and still the calibration is failing. I've got the one way valves on there and a pressure bleeder. I don't care about the soft pedal anymore, I just want my DSC and ABS back 😂

I've upgraded my brake pipes from the middle of the car to the back to kunifer as there was some corrosion and put stainless steel hoses too all round. I cannot see a leak anywhere so it has to be air... I do have a replacement master cylinder but I hate bench bleeding and how messy it is to change that 😐

I'm going to carry on bleeding tomorrow but just stick to one wheel instead of constantly going round the car as I don't think air is in the pipes but probably in the DSC itself or something.

Hopefully something will give before I give up and torch the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 12:20 AM   #17
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Did you ever get the DSC to calibrate correctly?

I'm running into the same issue. It fails every time. I was chasing a soft pedal issue. It failed on the DSC calibration and now the code won't go away. I've bled the brakes using INPA and it still won't pass.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 06:56 AM   #18
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

Try running the steering angle calibration first, then go with dsc calibration after.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 07:40 AM   #19
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Try running the steering angle calibration first, then go with dsc calibration after.
I tried that as well. Still won't work.

Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 08:41 AM   #20
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

Did you actually start with a bleed process or did you jump straight to the calibration?

Also, what is the error you're getting that stops the dsc calibration? What I mean is, at one point does it stop? Do you hear the pump running before it halts?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #21
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you actually start with a bleed process or did you jump straight to the calibration?

Also, what is the error you're getting that stops the dsc calibration? What I mean is, at one point does it stop? Do you hear the pump running before it halts?
Car is on jack stands and wheels are off. Rear pads were changed.

I bled the brakes manually and then I used INPA to bleed each corner where you actually pump the brakes when it tells you.

I then calibrated the steering angle sensor in ISTA and then ran the DSC alignment.

The pump starts pumping and the brake start clamping down. Within 2 seconds it stops and it says there's a leak. I looked everywhere and I don't see a leak presently.

I could bleed the system again after I get more fluid, but it sure seemed like I didn't see any bubbles whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #22
patroklai
Major
United_States
Rep

I went through gallons of brake fluid until I was able to bleed the brakes successfully. I find this to be an issue with every car. I've also found that the pressure bleeder introduces micro air bubbles you can't see. If you have a partner helping you bleed I would also make sure they can't "hear" bubbling as you pump the brakes. I'd recommend a manual bleed as a next step then attempt to recalibrate dsc. It took me several weeks to get this done properly so I dred cracking the lines open as it is never as straight forward as it should.
Appreciate 0